Manually turning player models in the customisation menu

For me at least, probably the most annoying feature in Jedi Academy's customisation menu is the fact the characters are walking

a straight line while the camera pans around them in a 360 degree angle. It gets more annoying when you try to customise your character.

Let's say you want to customise Spanki's Jedi model. Instead of having a straightforward look to see if the model is the way you want it, you

have to wait until the character turns around. It's like waiting for a minute hand on a clock.

So, my idea is to have a feature instead where you can turn around the characters manually left or right. This is something that is common in many games, like Mass Effect and Star Wars: Force Arena.

the_raven and Langerd like this

Agreed, I had hoped to do that in JKE. I made a personal mod years ago that disabled the turning completely, and just had them walk at a 20 degree angle (or something like that) so you could get a good look at it but didn't have to wait for it to rotate around every 30 seconds. :P

Manually rotating would be an excellent solution, but not sure it could be possible without code changes. I could be wrong though. Not sure what the menu system is capable of.

Lancelot likes this

For me at least, probably the most annoying feature in Jedi Academy's customisation menu is the fact the characters are walking

a straight line while the camera pans around them in a 360 degree angle. It gets more annoying when you try to customise your character.

Let's say you want to customise Spanki's Jedi model. Instead of having a straightforward look to see if the model is the way you want it, you

have to wait until the character turns around. It's like waiting for a minute hand on a clock.

So, my idea is to have a feature instead where you can turn around the characters manually left or right. This is something that is common in many games, like Mass Effect and Star Wars: Force Arena.

Annoying...as...bantha shiet on the boot.

Yep ! Defienetly. I think @@Lancelot we should make post with many ideas that Coders would note and think about.

Lancelot likes this

@@Langerd

There are plenty of ideas. But envisioning them, writing them down and realizing them are three different things.

If there would be a way to illustrate all the ideas in a way, that would be cool. People would get more of an idea what you would like

to see, which is hard to achieve with plain text.

But you are right. We could collect ideas. Feel free to post yours here. Maybe we can get more members to post their ideas here, which

could increase the chance to get this feature done.

Langerd likes this

@@Langerd

There are plenty of ideas. But envisioning them, writing them down and realizing them are three different things.

If there would be a way to illustrate all the ideas in a way, that would be cool. People would get more of an idea what you would like

to see, which is hard to achieve with plain text.

But you are right. We could collect ideas. Feel free to post yours here. Maybe we can get more members to post their ideas here, which

could increase the chance to get this feature done.

Well i am aware that it is easier said than done ^^ 

But coders who might be intrested in some of those ideas would try to make them , take them as some kind of challange or maybe even for fun. These would be only the ideas :P But i dont exaclty know in which thread i should put something like this - in modding suggestion or coding and scripting thread/

@@Circa @@Langerd

Okay, I used my Gimp skills to illustrate what I had in mind. Take a look the character window. I will explain the ideas below, from top to bottom.

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A CONCEPT, NOT AN ACTUAL IN-GAME SCREENSHOT.

menu_3_zpshohesvvh.jpg

First, I think the character shouldn't turn around at all. That feature should be removed entirely to replace it with my features.

ANIMATION: ON/OFF: Clicking on this field turns the walking animation either off or on.

Slider (on the right): This can be used to zoom either in or out.

Left and right arrows: For turning the character to the left or to the right.

RESET: Sets everything to default.

I believe that with the right tools, something similar can be achieved.

Langerd and GPChannel like this

@@Circa @@Langerd

Okay, I used my Gimp skills to illustrate what I had in mind. Take a look the character window. I will explain the ideas below, from top to bottom.

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A CONCEPT, NOT AN ACTUAL IN-GAME SCREENSHOT.

First, I think the character shouldn't turn around at all. That feature should be removed entirely to replace it with my features.

ANIMATION: ON/OFF: Clicking on this field turns the walking animation either off or on.

Slider (on the right): This can be used to zoom either in or out.

Left and right arrows: For turning the character to the left or to the right.

RESET: Sets everything to default.

I believe that with the right tools, something similar can be achieved.

Looking at the UI, the animation and the rotation can be altered directly in the .menu file. Perhaps it's possible to add those buttons that either affect the animation and rotation values directly, or maybe they could run scripts that do the job.

Smoo likes this