Model Porting

Don't wanna sound all controversial and all that, but i was wondering if anyone would like to share their knowledge of model porting and conversion with me. I assure you my interest in this is for personal use only and i will not publish any kind of ported/ripped material on the site or anywhere else for that matter.

The game in particular is KOTOR, and I was hoping i could take some of the models from there and convert them for use in ja.

So...Is it very difficulty? Is it better to create a model from scratch for another reason besides a sense of accomplishment? Or is it illegal for you guys to tutor about these things?

A bunch of KOTOR characters already have been converted, you just have to ask the right people i guess. Porting is for people that lack skills and don't want to spend years learning, so it is less difficult and less time consuming. It's not illegal for us to teach the process of rigging, the extraction of copyrighted content is the illegal part. Also you should create models from scratch if you enjoy the process and prefer to customize everything to your liking.

If you want to use XSI mod tool, here's a guide

https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/90-softimagexsi-joja-skeleton-bonestags-and-compiling-guide/

For 3D Studio Max:

There's my tutorials:

http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tuts.html

+

Paul Greveson's walkthrough of the skin modifier

and this one

https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/166-character-modeling-for-jk-in-3ds-max-walkthrough/

Blender is another software that can do it:

https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/195-blender-jka-frankenstein-modelling/

Username and Noodle like this

Don't wanna sound all controversial and all that, but i was wondering if anyone would like to share their knowledge of model porting and conversion with me. I assure you my interest in this is for personal use only and i will not publish any kind of ported/ripped material on the site or anywhere else for that matter.

The game in particular is KOTOR, and I was hoping i could take some of the models from there and convert them for use in ja.

So...Is it very difficulty? Is it better to create a model from scratch for another reason besides a sense of accomplishment? Or is it illegal for you guys to tutor about these things?

Just ask @@Jeff. Or @@Seven. Or even @@dark_apprentice. But Dark is busy with his own thing right now. And the new Disney EULA for Lucasarts era games is now more lighter on ported content. As long as it's from other Lucasarts era games.

Username likes this

I see...but  the thing is i don't enjoy the process of modelling and porting seemed, like you said @Psyk0Sith, the easy way out. I'll check out the links you gave though, and give blender a try.

@ShadowPhoenix I've been asking around lately but I don't feel like asking again because I don't want to be that guy that goes around requesting models and doesn't even try to make one himself.

I have all the KOTOR ported model packs I could find but i never found the dark jedi (except for one, but it has many issues and it's overall not visually pleasant) and that's what I was going for with this. I'd just prefer to have a nice port of this guy and be done with it.

I don't think the blender tutorial covers how to actually rig up the model to the skeleton, just importing 2 models, mixing the 2 together real quickly and exporting.

My Softimage tutorials cover most of the process starting with a imported model that was made for Counter Strike: Source. One of these days I'll make the final video needed to have the minimum things needed to have a working model but quite a few people have followed just what I have and managed just fine to figure out the rest.

TheWhitePhoenix and Username like this

I don't think the blender tutorial covers how to actually rig up the model to the skeleton, just importing 2 models, mixing the 2 together real quickly and exporting.

My Softimage tutorials cover most of the process starting with a imported model that was made for Counter Strike: Source. One of these days I'll make the final video needed to have the minimum things needed to have a working model but quite a few people have followed just what I have and managed just fine to figure out the rest.

Thank you. Btw it doesn't matter which game the model comes from right? I'm guessing they can all be adjusted to fit jedi academy. (?)

Of course they can, it will take some time to get it to fit which matters A LOT BEFORE you start weighing the model to the skeleton.

Don't expect to just do this overnight perfectly on your first try, it takes time to get good at. The trick is moving the bones around and adjusting the weights how I show in the video so that they don't turn out like those bad KotOR ports.

Username and Seven like this