Moving turret, is it possible?

I'm working on new ways to make fun boss battles and I've realized that I don't know if it's possible to move an enemy turret around the map, like you would move a func_train entity. Does anybody know if it's possible? 

I'm working on new ways to make fun boss battles and I've realized that I don't know if it's possible to move an enemy turret around the map, like you would move a func_train entity. Does anybody know if it's possible? 

The Narshadda in Jk2 had moving turrets.

Sadly i think Jk3 removed this...

Maybe there is a possibility to use move in option in scripts or parent it somehow on the train like You said

Noodle likes this

I managed to make it work, it wasn't as complicated as I thought!

I created a turret and placed 3 ref_tag entities around it. Then I copied part of the script that was on ns_hideout, so it ended up looking like this.

use ( "turret" );

affect ( "turret1", FLUSH )
{

task ( "go1" )
	{
		move ( $tag( "rail1", ORIGIN)$, 3000.000 );
	}

task ( "go2" )
	{
		move ( $tag( "rail2", ORIGIN)$, 1000.000 );
	}

task ( "go3" )
	{
		move ( $tag( "rail3", ORIGIN)$, 3000.000 );
	}

loop ( -1.000 )
	{

if ( $random( 0, 1 ) > 0.500$ )
		{
			do ( "go1" );
			wait ( "go1" );
		}

do ( "go2" );
		wait ( "go2" );

if ( $random( 0, 1 ) > 0.500$ )
		{
			do ( "go3" );
			wait ( "go3" );
		}

}

}

The script activates the turret and makes it move randomly through the different ref_tag entities. 

However, I also tried to make a misc_panel_turret entity that moved through the map. It did work as intended untill I tried to control it, when I did, it went back to its initial position and didn't move any further. 

Langerd likes this

Is this for SP or MP? misc_panel_turret doesn't sound like an MP entity to me.

You might be able to attach the turret entity to the mover with the q3map2 _targetname trick as well, I'm not sure.  The documents seem to claim its only for misc_model but it may work for others.

Is this for SP or MP? misc_panel_turret doesn't sound like an MP entity to me.

You might be able to attach the turret entity to the mover with the q3map2 _targetname trick as well, I'm not sure.  The documents seem to claim its only for misc_model but it may work for others.

SP. What's the q3map2_targetname trick? 

Do they aim correctly though? I vaguely remember JK3 turrets not adjusting their aim for their new location, making them miss...

I'd have to do some more tests to check that out.

Does anybody know what's the best software for recording gameplay? I could record my experiments so i can show you guys better what I'm trying to achieve. 

Does anybody know what's the best software for recording gameplay? I could record my experiments so i can show you guys better what I'm trying to achieve.

MSI Afterburner works pretty well, and many people use the Open Broadcaster Software.

One alternative is to make an NPC file for it with a custom model, then give it the 'flyswim' movement and CLASS_PROBE

Example:

autoturret
{
playerModel autoturret
weapon WP_BOT_LASER
health 70
headYawRangeLeft 180
headYawRangeRight 180
headPitchRangeUp 0
headPitchRangeDown 0
torsoYawRangeLeft 0
torsoYawRangeRight 0
torsoPitchRangeUp 10
torsoPitchRangeDown 10
reactions 3
aim 1
move 3
aggression 3
evasion 1
intelligence 5
playerTeam TEAM_ENEMY
enemyTeam TEAM_PLAYER
// race bot
class CLASS_PROBE
yawSpeed 60
runSpeed 150
walkSpeed 50
hFOV 120
vfov 45
snd turret
moveType "flyswim"
}

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

MSI Afterburner works pretty well, and many people use the Open Broadcaster Software.

Thanks, I managed to record a video in which I test the turrets.

https://youtu.be/hoz5vbCiyyk

The turret used for Jedi Outcast does have issues with aiming, but that isn't a problem when you use the misc_turret entity. There's a problem that pops up when a player-controlled turret destroys the enemy turret though. 

But my main issue comes from the fact that the player-controlled turret stops moving after I begin to use it, as the video shows. I wonder if there's a way to fix that problem. 

Langerd likes this

Thanks, I managed to record a video in which I test the turrets.

https://youtu.be/hoz5vbCiyyk

The turret used for Jedi Outcast does have issues with aiming, but that isn't a problem when you use the misc_turret entity. There's a problem that pops up when a player-controlled turret destroys the enemy turret though. 

But my main issue comes from the fact that the player-controlled turret stops moving after I begin to use it, as the video shows. I wonder if there's a way to fix that problem. 

That looks interesting! :)

Good to know You made it!

Jk3 is much easier than the Jk2 ... they even nerfed the turrets ...

(Funny ending XP)

That looks interesting! :)

Good to know You made it!

Jk3 is much easier than the Jk2 ... they even nerfed the turrets ...

(Funny ending XP)

It is! I've been thinking a lot about how to make fun and difficult boss fights for my own SP missions. Soon I'll start posting screenshots of my first map.

Langerd likes this