custom player model

Player model creation is not specific to JKA. It's specific to Blender. There are some steps at the end to get the model in game but I get the impression you aren't that far yet.

If you want to learn about creating humanoids, perhaps you could try Blender's official tutorials on doing so.

Cerez likes this

Player model creation is not specific to JKA. It's specific to Blender. There are some steps at the end to get the model in game but I get the impression you aren't that far yet.

If you want to learn about creating humanoids, perhaps you could try Blender's official tutorials on doing so.

I already have a completed model, I just need to know how can I make it to jedi academy, also I can use blender. 

Today I started setup my model in blender and I've got two questions:

Is it problem if I put only two tag to my model ? (right and left hand) Or I need to put all tags ? 

What does the "Off" mesh do ? (I know this mesh closes the holes, but I don't know what is the role of this in the game)

-You need all tags

-The "off" meshes are called caps, they close the opening of the segmented characters / objects so they look like solid objects when sliced by a saber blade. If they are removed you will see "inside" the hollow sliced limb. They are not mandatory and can be added at a later time.

ladiszlai likes this

-You need all tags

-The "off" meshes are called caps, they close the opening of the segmented characters / objects so they look like solid objects when sliced by a saber blade. If they are removed you will see "inside" the hollow sliced limb. They are not mandatory and can be added at a later time.

Thank you 

Now I've got a problem: 

I read from the manual that I need to split the edges:

UV coordinates are per-vertex, meaning that any single vertex can onlyhave one UV coordinate. 
This necessitates splitting the mesh at UV seams,which can for example be achieved by also marking seams as "sharp" andusing the "Edge Split" modifier to split at those sharp edges.

but if I split the edges, my verticles change 200 to 1500 and it exceeds the limit

Which manual?

I can assure you that you do not have to create any splits if you don't want to. It's the old way of creating smoothing groups for an old engine.

I guess the plugin requires it? nevermind me then.

Edited by Psyk0Sith

You do have to create splits, nothing changed if you're using my Blender plugins. It sucks, but it's that way.

What you don't need to do is separate every single triangle, which I assume is what you did leading to that explosion in vertex count. Don't do that. Only create cuts where necessary - in places where the texture has cuts. You can use a UV Test Grid texture to see the cuts in the 3d view.

You do have to create splits, nothing changed if you're using my Blender plugins. It sucks, but it's that way.

What you don't need to do is separate every single triangle, which I assume is what you did leading to that explosion in vertex count. Don't do that. Only create cuts where necessary - in places where the texture has cuts. You can use a UV Test Grid texture to see the cuts in the 3d view.

Thank you for the answer Mrwonko,

I checked my UVs in the model with the Test grid texture and it already had cuts, so I don't need to cut anything but the the blender give me the error:

"Cannot load surface *Object*  (LOD 0) from Blender: UV Seam found! Split meshes at UV seams." 

It is only works when I split all of my edges.

Have you got idea ?

Are you sure there are already cuts in the geometry where there are cuts in the texture? Select an adjacent face and move it to see if there is indeed a cut.

Yes I am sure, but I fixed it now with this way: I removed the line from your py script (JAG2GLM.py) which make this error, then the blender exported my model.

I tried this model ingame and it is working :)

I changed this:

if not vectorsAlmostEqual(uv, UVs[vertexIndex]): # better be the same then
                        return False, "UV seam found! Split meshes at UV seams."

to this:

if not vectorsAlmostEqual(uv, UVs[vertexIndex]): # better be the same then
                        UVs[vertexIndex] = uv
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a new playermodel and When I spawn this model as npc and when I try to attack him the game give me a crash: 

"Run out of transform space for ghoul2 Models. Adjust MiniHeapSize in SV_Spawn Server"

What can be the problem ? 

I have 24 mesh in this model (body parts) and 7989 verticles  (around 400-900 verticles per mesh)

Ty, but I don't want to use OpenJK, I need a way to fix this issue for the game.

Why not? It's essentially a patched version of Jedi Academy.

But if you really don't want to use it, the only way to fix that problem is to cut down the vertex number of the model, or of both the playermodel and the weapon it's using.

eezstreet likes this