Going prone

I like the idea of prone, would be easy enough to delete a keybind & remove it from the controls menu if a certain mod doesn't want it. Speaking of realistic, I'd like to see the first person weapons method SoF2 has in OpenJK.

We'd need new first person weapon models for that to happen.

and OpenJK isn't meant to add mod features, the whole point of it is to serve as a stable base (and not in the same fashion as OJP)

I've been highly considering putting in the GLM first person weapon models in JKG. The support already exists for them I believe there, just no real usage of any skeletons there. What I'd really like is for a modeller to come along and restructure everything so that it makes sense.

JKG is also pretty much pure C++ now, so we've been able to have more features ripped from SP than MP can (like for instance, individual control over segments of an .efx file, which allows for cool things like lag-free laser sights)

We'd need new first person weapon models for that to happen.

and OpenJK isn't meant to add mod features, the whole point of it is to serve as a stable base (and not in the same fashion as OJP)

I've been highly considering putting in the GLM first person weapon models in JKG. The support already exists for them I believe there, just no real usage of any skeletons there. What I'd really like is for a modeller to come along and restructure everything so that it makes sense.

JKG is also pretty much pure C++ now, so we've been able to have more features ripped from SP than MP can (like for instance, individual control over segments of an .efx file, which allows for cool things like lag-free laser sights)

Game crashes when trying to load a GLM as first person weapon model, internal GLA or no. :\

I was working with Xycaleth ages ago trying to get GLM first person weapons working ala SoF2, even made some test weapons that are bolted to each other via model_root.

right, well the animations are in JKG but honestly it feels like prone might break the flow of gameplay, honestly. There's been some disagreement as to how fast the pace of the game should be. I've always upheld the belief that the game should be fast-paced and require a lot of skill. There's arguments to make the game more realistic though.

I think prone would actually support the pace of the game.  Just make it hard (slower) to get up when a character goes prone, that way you expose yourself to being charged, etc...  Plus you can't really dodge on the ground.  I think its a fair feature.  Not sure it'd really add all that much though to be worth the effort.  Something we'd have to talk about I think.

JKG Developer

• 3 weeks later...

Game crashes when trying to load a GLM as first person weapon model, internal GLA or no. :\

I was working with Xycaleth ages ago trying to get GLM first person weapons working ala SoF2, even made some test weapons that are bolted to each other via model_root.

I find it absurd that it would simply not work due to crashing. I'm thinking that something else is at fault.

I think this is the longest discussion I have started. ever. ;)

I think I am still working on Jedibetrayal but college and work are taking priority like always and sitting down to weight models at least for me is like staring at paint dry. I have a side project with AOD members, I have CW7 which I have to update with new anims from MB2 in it for compatibility. I am still working on that mace windu that I have to weight and possibly remodel again because some dingus did it wrong (looks at self). Ya, there is stuff here that doesn't get done.

Circa likes this
  • 5 months later...

<resurrects thread with some mention of JK2:HD>
  • 4 weeks later...