Making a static, unarmed NPC

Shadow

I've been trying to make an unarmed NPC that has a lot of health (infinite preferred), is unarmed, doesn't move, and doesn't fight back even when attacked. I couldn't find any documentation anywhere about NPCs. The best I am able to make does everything, but has a e-11 rifle.

unarmedjawa
{
    fullName        "unarmedjawa"
    playerModel        jawa
    scale            70
    playerTeam        TEAM_PLAYER
    enemyTeam        TEAM_PLAYER
    class            CLASS_GLIDER
    health            9999
    movetype        static
}

Add "weapon WP_NONE" to the bit in brackets on its own line.

For some reason that doesn't work, still has a e-11

You can set SET_INVINCIBLE to True using Icarus to make him truly invincible.

also with icarus add SET_BEHAVOUR_STATE, BS_CINEMATIC. this disable his AI. :)

SET_IGNOREENEMIES avoid he go to anger or flee when see the player or enemies, and SET_IGNOREPAIN avoid pain animations.

you can also yse SET_EARSHOT and SET_VISRANGE for change the range of his sight and earshot. :)

I have no idea how to script with Icarus or even where to start. I really don't have much intention on using Icarus for anything in the future as I really have no interest in scripting. I am gonna make a request in the appropriate forum. http://jkhub.org/topic/6288-quick-small-icarus-npc-script/

For some reason that doesn't work, still has a e-11

I have no idea how to script with Icarus or even where to start. I really don't have much intention on using Icarus for anything in the future as I really have no interest in scripting. I am gonna make a request in the appropriate forum. http://jkhub.org/topic/6288-quick-small-icarus-npc-script/

Look, man, i told you what you need for got an invincible NPC. about the fact the NPC bring the e11 rifle, this is normal. some class using however the blaster as weapon, also if you put on it WP_NONE. is better if you set the NPC as CLASS_PRISONER, instead of CLASS_GLIDER, is not a good class for disarmed NPC. about the setting of invincibility, neutrality etc, you can set on npc file PLAYER_TEAM and ENEMY_TEAM to TEAM_NEUTRAL or to TEAM_NONE, but if it not work you need to use Icarus. is nothing of complicated. because icarus and the map are interactive each other. simply you need to download icarus by SDK tool of JKA , the program is very use friendly and need simply to make these:

1 - on NPC propriety (N Key) , make a key spawnscript as value the path of the icarus script "example: yourmap\unarmed"

2 -now with icarus you can make the file "unarmed.txt" and you save into the folder scripts/yourmap/

3 - now simply add these parameter clicking on the blue set string.

- SET_INVINCIBLE, true,

- SET_BEHAVOUR_STATE BS_CINEMATIC.

- SET_IGNOREENEMIES, true,

- SET_IGNOREPAIN, true.

that's all build the script and this make you an IBI file, now the character is read. if TEAM_NEUTRAL not work you need to make this. there no other solutions.

for disarm the NPC, simply add "weapon WP_NONE" into NPC file after you changed class to CLASS_PRISONER

Look, man, i told you what you need for got an invincible NPC. about the fact the NPC bring the e11 rifle, this is normal. some class using however the blaster as weapon, also if you put on it WP_NONE. is better if you set the NPC as CLASS_PRISONER, instead of CLASS_GLIDER, is not a good class for disarmed NPC. about the setting of invincibility, neutrality etc, you can set on npc file PLAYER_TEAM and ENEMY_TEAM to TEAM_NEUTRAL or to TEAM_NONE, but if it not work you need to use Icarus. is nothing of complicated. because icarus and the map are interactive each other. simply you need to download icarus by SDK tool of JKA , the program is very use friendly and need simply to make these:

1 - on NPC propriety (N Key) , make a key spawnscript as value the path of the icarus script "example: yourmap\unarmed"

2 -now with icarus you can make the file "unarmed.txt" and you save into the folder scripts/yourmap/

3 - now simply add these parameter clicking on the blue set string.

- SET_INVINCIBLE, true,

- SET_BEHAVOUR_STATE BS_CINEMATIC.

- SET_IGNOREENEMIES, true,

- SET_IGNOREPAIN, true.

that's all build the script and this make you an IBI file, now the character is read. if TEAM_NEUTRAL not work you need to make this. there no other solutions.

for disarm the NPC, simply add "weapon WP_NONE" into NPC file after you changed class to CLASS_PRISONER

I got the SDK, and I've read the readme and what you've said, but I am completely lost. I'm sorry I sound silly, but I have no idea what I am doing and I really dont understand most of what your saying. Honestly, I don't think I am getting this and I don't think I'll be able to do this. I understand that you are trying to teach/introduce this to me and while I am greatful, I dont think I'd be using scripting ever, I'll bet money on it. If you would be interested in helping me out with this one request, I made a topic here if you are interested in helping me out.

Asgarath is right. You won't go very far into JA mapping without scripting, and scripting itself isn't hard at all when you get the hang of it.

I've been mapping in JKA for more than 7 years. For all my time mapping, I have honestly never needed or desired anything with scripting, even now. This was a request by someone else.

I got the SDK, and I've read the readme and what you've said, but I am completely lost. I'm sorry I sound silly, but I have no idea what I am doing and I really dont understand most of what your saying. Honestly, I don't think I am getting this and I don't think I'll be able to do this. I understand that you are trying to teach/introduce this to me and while I am greatful, I dont think I'd be using scripting ever, I'll bet money on it. If you would be interested in helping me out with this one request, I made a topic here if you are interested in helping me out.

I've been mapping in JKA for more than 7 years. For all my time mapping, I have honestly never needed or desired anything with scripting, even now. This was a request by someone else.

Ah no problem. i suppose you ever make Multiplayers map, they not need scripting, except for interactive stuff and brushes, because rarely they got NPCs.

script instead are necessary for SP game, and i am more expert on SP then in MP. try with CLASS_PRISONER, WP_NONE and TEAM_NEUTRAL Into npc file. you get a passive unarmed npc, but you cannot have a static invincible NPC...

the unique idea i have is you put your npc in some isolated room with glasses \ jail \ walls, or you build around NPC entity an hollow physic clip box that isolated NPC by the rest of map and avoid every shooting \ interacting with it.

using a NPC_spawner entity and enable the "cinematic" spawnflag, so NPC should be passive. on entity npc with N key  you can put an health value of 10000 or something like that for making "invincible..." or really strong to die...   the other way is that you clipping outside Npc with system/Clip, (avoid player touch npc, but shoot can pass) and putting a trigger_hurt inside this boss with negative value of damage. there is a way for make a trigger_hurt that not hurt, but restoring health of every entities they touch it or are inside it. :) think about this. :)

Ok, so I tried it, and while my NPC is unarmed and doesn't move around, it is now running in place. Probably different on SP/MP.

Well almost is unarmed. use the spawnflag 64 on the entity property on radiant.

should setting the NPC in BS_CINEMATIC mod in BS_CINEMATIC npc cannot run and not use AI.

if this not work there is a only way: scripting... or clipping the NPC how i told you.

There is a waypoint net near NPC?

you are doing this for MP or SP?

Well almost is unarmed. use the spawnflag 64 on the entity property on radiant.

should setting the NPC in BS_CINEMATIC mod in BS_CINEMATIC npc cannot run and not use AI.

if this not work there is a only way: scripting... or clipping the NPC how i told you.

There is a waypoint net near NPC?

you are doing this for MP or SP?

MP