Model bug

Go to solution Solved by dark_apprentice,

oh my, all meshes got _0 as sufix... you need to remove it. engine expected names like l_arm, r_arm, head, torso etc.

D:

Not sure about other modeling programs, but in Blender that _0 suffix is used to determine the level of detail. 0 is the base model, 1 is LOD1, 2 is LOD2 etc. Only for .glm models, though - .md3 models load external models (modelname_1.md3) as their LODs.

AshuraDX and mrwonko like this

Not sure about other modeling programs, but in Blender that _0 suffix is used to determine the level of detail.

Although it should be noted that - if memory serves - this only applies to the model_root object. Anything else just needs to be below that in the hierarchy, the name is taken from the Ghoul 2 properties and the _0/_1/... suffix is just chosen by the importer because it needs to pick some name, and it can't be the same across LODs.

Stop talking nonsense.

Please, be respectul.

i am just telling a suggest. isn't necessary to be offensive or destructive. 

nope, i am telling that in a model should be a mesh called hips, with childrens mesh l_leg, r_leg and torso.

torso need a children mesh called head , l_arm and r_arm and r_arm and l_arm need children mesh called l_hand and r_hand.

i ever thinked that that's name are necessary in every GLM models for have a working sabers \ force powers. is not it?

years ago i rigged a model without this meshes with these names in this parenting, and and the model hasn't the use of the sabers,. sabers not works, models use, but not appear and not make damage. working only with shooting weapons.

so i am not telling notsense, because this affermation is on a my personal experience.

if hierarchy is not correct or mesh have not the correct name, sabers not working. why? i not know, i not know the code of GLM , but on myu modding experience happened that.

Although it should be noted that - if memory serves - this only applies to the model_root object. Anything else just needs to be below that in the hierarchy, the name is taken from the Ghoul 2 properties and the _0/_1/... suffix is just chosen by the importer because it needs to pick some name, and it can't be the same across LODs.

So is for LODs? i admit i never worked on LOD

well, i am sorry, but your answer was little hurting. the fact is that: with a wrong \ mesh names hierarchy saber not work. i think his model haven't a working saber for this issue.

Please, be respectul.

i am just telling a suggest. isn't necessary to be offensive or destructive.

I know you're trying to help, and I was unnecessarily aggressive. I'm unreasonably annoyed by the poor English and mediocre formatting in most of your posts, which makes me biased against you. I shouldn't be; your posts are usually still helpful and have good intentions. So understand that in saying this I'm not attacking you, I'm just explaining my reaction, misguided as it was. Sorry for that.

I'm probably also slightly stressed due to coming up on the deadline of my bachelor thesis and didn't want to write a detailed explanation. Still, my attack was not justified.

But you are in fact wrong. I should have phrased this more nicely and explained it though.

You're not generally wrong in regards to GLM; the model does need to have the right names for its parts. But when creating models in Blender, the names used in the export are defined separately. It's really quite confusing and has to do with supporting multiple LODs, since you can't have multiple objects of the same name in Blender.

But in short: the names you see in those screenshots are not the names those surfaces are exported as.

Sorry again for being overly aggressive in pointing out your mistake while not explaining it.

But in short: the names you see in those screenshots are not the names those surfaces are exported as.

In the specific, the actual mesh name (that can then subsequently turned on and off in the .skin file) is defined under Ghoul2 Properties. So you can have all LODs named l_hand_0, l_hand_1 etc, and they all can refer to that Ghoul2 Property Name l_hand.

I know you're trying to help, and I was unnecessarily aggressive. I'm unreasonably annoyed by the poor English and mediocre formatting in most of your posts, which makes me biased against you. I shouldn't be; your posts are usually still helpful and have good intentions. So understand that in saying this I'm not attacking you, I'm just explaining my reaction, misguided as it was. Sorry for that.

I'm probably also slightly stressed due to coming up on the deadline of my bachelor thesis and didn't want to write a detailed explanation. Still, my attack was not justified.

But you are in fact wrong. I should have phrased this more nicely and explained it though.

You're not generally wrong in regards to GLM; the model does need to have the right names for its parts. But when creating models in Blender, the names used in the export are defined separately. It's really quite confusing and has to do with supporting multiple LODs, since you can't have multiple objects of the same name in Blender.

Sorry again for being overly aggressive in pointing out your mistake while not explaining it.

oh, i am sorry . not worry man. it's nothing. ^_^  i understand you. also, i have a great respect of you. i confess i am not an expert of blender , and i use 3d max for editing and exporting model. for GLM i use the old method of exporting the XSI and building GLM with carcass. i never used lods, i admit, and i not know much of blender, because i use blender for MD3 objects. so, yes, i make a little mistake. my error. :(

today i have not sleeping much, maybe i am lazy for this. well, between two hours i will go into Morpheus 's kingdom.

my english is ... horrible. i know. because i not my mother language. and i have not a much lucky life. ('cause of heal and family trouble, i never ending the high school study) so i am sorry if my english is very irritant. english is not my mother language. i am italian. there are italians that write and talk english a thousand time better than me. ^_^ many time i have difficult to remember or find in my mind the exactly word or syntax for tell what i wanna tell in english. so i write very horrorific grammatical accident. :(

when i'am tired as today, this is also more evident.

So not worry Wonko. also, i like your knowledge and dedition to work. also, i need to thank your for your useful MD3 exporter for blender 2.64. 3dmax not keep the textures of materials for MD3, so your plug in is my safe for making the misc_model of my mod. :)

sometime i am little touchy. i admit  touchyness is my worst flaw. i am sorry for this. :) so, peace, brother. i offer a pizza, okay? how do you want it? ^_^

@@Ramikad so, they are used for LODs and when he export the GLM by blender the _0 sufix disappear?  i not knew that. so i make this mistake. i am sorry.

however, @@dark_apprentice ...really check the hierarchy of meshes of your model. i have the big suspect that the saber missing and the force bug is caused by this. if hierarchy is uncorrect, maybe force powers are spawned by model's origin. :\

about uvmapping. i never understand why blender make this strange issue, but this happened also to a my friend. she fix manually uvmapping every time this happen. some time, this is fixed rebooting blender. this happen with character models. this uvmapping bug is one of the reason i prefear working models on 3d max. :)

Well i think i go to sleep. goodnight to alls, men. :)

mrwonko likes this

I think it is all from that:
l_arm_cap_torso_off_0 that Blender says the error: could not load surface l_arm_cap_torso_off (LOD 0) from Blender, Vertex without UV coordinates found!

Because, when i first deleted it and the model was exported with no problems, than i tested it and saw this problem with force lightning/drain coming out from somewhere else, instead of the hand. I might try with other hands in the end if i cannot bring those one to work. After all they come from Galen Marek model by Schrödinger and UsungHero. And i will have to change the arms and see if this will help out. But right now the last few days i am really down and got some really hard times around. So i don't know when i will have time to work on it. :(

Asgarath83 likes this

I think it is all from that:

l_arm_cap_torso_off_0 that Blender says the error: could not load surface l_arm_cap_torso_off (LOD 0) from Blender, Vertex without UV coordinates found!

Because, when i first deleted it and the model was exported with no problems, than i tested it and saw this problem with force lightning/drain coming out from somewhere else, instead of the hand. I might try with other hands in the end if i cannot bring those one to work. After all they come from Galen Marek model by Schrödinger and UsungHero. And i will have to change the arms and see if this will help out. But right now the last few days i am really down and got some really hard times around. So i don't know when i will have time to work on it. :(

Not worry , take your time. :) strange issue. D: i could understant if was caused by the l_arm meshes, but by a cap...mmm the cap lose UVmappings. :\ for lucky, cap Uvmapping can be easy to redone. The hierarchy is all good? i mean also the cap and tag hierarchy to the main meshes. :)