• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm quite stunned by the progress of this, terrific job to all those involved!

Question. Why not use a different model/animation format rather than trying to get ghoul2 going?

It'd take some time, but it's totally doable to change over JKA's animations into a different format. So long as it has tools to export from 3ds Max/XSI Mod Tool that is.

Do it, and I'll give you a waffle. No, make that two of them.

the only thing is that Ghoul 2 has dismemberment and skins and stuff. You'd need to readily support that. Not to mention you'd lose mod support pretty easily. But if you converted GLM models to another format on the fly...

tl;dr, there's no point at all really in using a different format without losing a ton of feature support.

As an aside, if we got the single player SDK, that would help immensely since it has the structure of the void pointers that were used in multiplayer to type the ghoul 2 instances properly. This would give us a lot of leverage. So please, someone, talk to LucasArts about releasing the SDK for SP, Raven has it packed up for both JK2 and JKA!!

What about asking Raven for their SoF2 code and use its ghoul2 code?

Remember my Blender Plugin Suite? Includes GLM and GLA import and export. I know the file formats. I'll try adding support to iojamp once I've gotten it to compile with Visual Studio. (I'll try to add CMake support to ioquake3, which can then be merged into iojamp.)
eezstreet likes this

Ghoul 2 is a proprietary format. I can't think of a single company besides id Tech that's given out any sort of proprietary format.

Back when I used to be a Diablo II modder, every single tool was made by the community. Course, it's more populous in general, and the audience of the original game was for more mature people, but my point here is that if they could do it, so can we.