Star Wars Infinity

I don't see the problem here. I would love to see kids play such a game.

Especially since the last season is what they decided to focus the playset on, which is thematically totally appropriate for 7-year-old kids. And they won't want to see the series after they've played the game. Why would they?

So much sensible logic here, it just blows your mind.

Especially since the last season is what they decided to focus the playset on, which is thematically totally appropriate for 7-year-old kids. And they won't want to see the series after they've played the game. Why would they?

So much sensible logic here, it just blows your mind.

What series? I don't get it. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :P

What series? I don't get it. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :P

Being 100% sarcastic. In case you haven't had the chance to look into the series that far, some of the themes and events in the later seasons of The Clone Wars are absolutely not appropriate for children, @@Circa. Even 12+ is questionable, yet alone 7+!

And those story events are exactly what Disney decided to focus this playset on.

It seems the Disney management currently consists of money-hungry blabbering idiots who are launching various Star Wars products without any sense of decency, respect, or reason.

Being 100% sarcastic. In case you haven't had the chance to look into the series that far, some of the themes and events in the later seasons of The Clone Wars are absolutely not appropriate for children, @@Circa. Even 12+ is questionable, yet alone 7+!

And those story events are exactly what Disney decided to focus this playset on.

It seems the Disney management currently consists of money-hungry blabbering idiots who are launching various Star Wars products without any sense of decency, respect, or reason.

The show aired on Disney channel, so no surprise there. I don't recall anything happening in the series that is that questionable. 

Also, I thought the game was based on the entire Star Wars canon (saga + tv shows). Where does it say that it'll focus on the Clone Wars? I see Leia on that cover, on a tauntaun.

The game is comprised of playsets. The Clone Wars playset's story is centred on the later seasons / finale of the series.

The later seasons deal with many adult themes -- such as desertion, death/killing, punishment, and betrayal, that are hardly appropriate for a 7-year-old.

Obi-Wan's love is cruelly assassinated before his eyes.

Savage Opress is killed with intent by a villain.

Ahsoka is abandoned and betrayed by the Jedi Masters (her family).

Ahsoka betrayed and set up by her good friend.

The heroic Steela Gerrera dies despite Ahsoka's efforts to save her life.

Adi Gallia is unceremoniously killed in battle.

Fives is killed, a victim of circumstances beyond his control.

Slavery and cruel human treatment on Kadavo.

Elements of horror (the spider-legged Maul, the mind-control worms).

An act of terrorist bombing that killed countless people in the Jedi Temple.

A visual on the severed arm of a dead person, victim of the bombing.

And the list goes on...

The later seasons deal with many adult themes -- such as desertion, death/killing, punishment, and betrayal, that are hardly appropriate for a 7-year-old.

Obi-Wan's love is cruelly assassinated before his eyes.

Savage Opress is killed with intent by a villain.

Ahsoka is abandoned and betrayed by the Jedi Masters (her family).

Ahsoka betrayed and set up by her good friend.

The heroic Steela Gerrera dies despite Ahsoka's efforts to save her life.

Adi Gallia is unceremoniously killed in battle.

Fives is killed, a victim of circumstances beyond his control.

Slavery and cruel human treatment on Kadavo.

Elements of horror (the spider-legged Maul, the mind-control worms).

An act of terrorist bombing that killed countless people in the Jedi Temple.

A visual on the severed arm of a dead person, victim of the bombing.

And the list goes on...

Umm..  do you think kids grow up in a box? They know all kinds of shit at the age of 7  -- just like I did, and I'd imagine you did too.   :)

MagSul likes this

Q fscking Q

They've been marketing crap to kids for years. No surprise that they'd make toys that are part of Disney Infinity. They're doing it to Marvel too. Don't understand how it's a bad thing at all, especially since "well it looks dumb" is what I've been saying about TCW for years.

Botdra likes this

Umm..  do you think kids grow up in a box? They know all kinds of shit at the age of 7  -- just like I did, and I'd imagine you did too.   :)

Well, I don't know about you, but I remember myself at the age of 7-8, and I remember that the main character's death in All Dogs Go to Heaven made me cry my eyes out. Watch that today as an adult and you won't even get sad about it. It's easy enough to act tough and say "sulk it up", but children have a different, much more immersive view of the world, and they are affected much-much stronger than adults by such heavy themes in a moving picture. There is a reason the rating system was invented. Unfortunately few adults are caring and responsible.

There's a time for everything, and age 7 is not the time to deal with hopelessness, death, and betrayal. So Disney is doing as much damage to children's healthy emotional growth now as they brought good things in the past.

Ok someone explain to me what this is a toy, a video or a game?

A toy set where the figures come to life in the form of a video game. Everything sold separately, of course, designed to deplete the parents' pockets.

@@Cerez

Pinocchio - Pleasure island
Lion King - death of Mufasa
Bambi - mother dies
Tarzan- Clayton's death
Beauty & the Beast - ending - "kill the Beast! "

+ many other films that deal with death and misery, smoking and alcohol.  Do some research, and you'll notice that kids around the world,
are nothing more than normal, if they can deal with/ process death and violence in cartoons. It is these cartoons help kids grow up "normal",
so NO they are not damaging kids emotional growth just because you think kids aren't meant to see that kind of stuff in cartoons.

I really advice you to do some research on this :)

6194D-hiQtL._SY300_.jpg                   Disney-Frozen-186x300.png  

Disney's:  Tangled (2010) had a classic bar scene, with men drinking and laughing and singing. Keeping alive one stereotype and telling kinds,

that kind of behaviour is normal in our world, they can relate to that if they see their parents or relatives drinking at graduation parties etc.
Whilee Disney's: Frozen (2013) had the classic death of a partent. Both parents in this case, went down with a ship, dramatically followed up
by shots of these girls left alone in a big castle, not playing with eachother anymore for years. Paintings of their family covered up with sheets.

The Clone Wars is nothing compared to Disney movies, old or new.  They were only missing the lightsabers and force, but now they got that too  (SW7)

Hell, the prequels dealt with:

• politics
  • space diplomacy
  • implied rape and sexual slavery
  • other forms of slavery/indentured servitude
  • racist stereotypes
  • assassinations of political figures
  • dismembering hundreds if not thousands of people
  • genocide
  • war over taxes
  • beheadings

yet it's trivialized with tons of toys and dolls and other assorted crap merchandise. The whole point that "TCW is full of adult content" is kinda moot when it's advertised for and broadcast on a channel meant for children.

@, there is a big difference between how the Disney film have handled death, for example, as subject matter, and how The Clone Wars handles it. Thematically and emotionally they are on a completely different level.

The death of Mufasa in The Lion King was one of the most ground-shaking events in a story of your childhood. It was not taken lightly. And that was a single, delicately staged death. My point is that the mature themes so frequently covered in The Clone Wars are too shocking, desensitising, and inappropriate for small children. If a character death jolts us a little as adults, you can bet children will feel it a shock tenfold. And there were quite a few small and larger jolts even for adults throughout the run of the series, especially towards the end.

A seven-year-old doesn't need to know about adult human cruelty, and the feeling of being rejected/betrayed by their loved ones, friends and family. These are themes that are not appropriate for small children, and any child that experiences these themes this early on will have trouble with their personal development.

So I stand by my point, firmly. The later seasons of The Clone Wars are not appropriate for under 12-year-olds. They are in fact mid-teenage and adult material.

Edit:

The Clone Wars later also breached the boundary between hero and villain, which is also indicative of the more mature themes. Small kids, on their level of maturity, are used to grouping characters into good and bad. When a 'bad' character dies, or does 'bad' things, that's not so impactful (i.e. Tarzan- Clayton's death, Beauty & the Beast - ending - "kill the Beast! "). But when a good main character dies, that's a different matter entirely, and children seek good reason for it (i.e. Scar the villain in Mufasa's death). Otherwise small children are completely flabbergasted and emotionally shocked by such events.

The Clone Wars breached those boundaries by approaching the many sides of a human character, and presenting realistic situations where the line between good and evil was not so clear to comprehend (e.g. Barriss Offee, Savage Opress, the final story of Fives, etc.). This is mature character development that only serves to confuse younger audiences.

And the prequel movies are a special cookie. Let's not get into that. They are walking the borderline on so many levels. If you compare the original trilogy to the prequel trilogy in how the themes are laid down and followed through, you'll likely completely lose interest in the prequels in the comparison, and realise that they are not really family movies.

ok but that doesn't change the fact that TCW is marketed towards children and on programming designed for children. Disney Infinity is marketed towards children.

problem?

The problem? Both Warner and Disney are irresponsible with their programming and product rating. Not sure how it is in the US, but here in Australia The Clone Wars has a 12+ equivalent age rating, while Disney Infinity has so far had a 10+. The US packaging above says 7+ for Infinity!

If a child of 7 plays this new Clone Wars Infinity, they will naturally want to see the episodes in the series the game was made about, which are only appropriate for a teenage audience and older.

In other words, the whole thing's a mess that results in children watching a show too mature for their age. Go Disney. The Clone Wars is not Infinity appropriate material. Rebels may be, but The Clone Wars isn't.

You're assuming two things though:

1. Kids wouldn't pick something more familiar to them, like Mufasa or Simba if we're using TLK as an example. You have to purchase each character, and I find it highly unlikely that you're going to buy Disney Infinity characters just for the express purpose of learning about them. Infinity isn't about creating a canon universe, it's about "What happens if Spider Man and Obi Wan Kenobi teamed up to fight people?"

2. Kids are the ones purchasing these things. More often than not, the parents are.

If anyone actually think TCW was always going to be aimed at kids... sorry, nope. I don't think a series marketed toward children by the age of seven and such would commonly display:

• Civilian genocide (Black Sun firing on pacifist Mandalorians in their street)
  • Fratricide (The clones were tricked into firing on each other because of Krell on Umbara)
  • War crimes (Rex terminated a wounded and harmless Umbaran crawling for refuge)
  • The stages of using criminal and evil acts to rise to power (Take the plot to kidnap the Chancellor and the Shadow Collective arcs for example)
  • Political and personal corruption (This has expanded on several levels throughout TCW, especially with the Inhibitor Chips)
  • Drugs (Lom Pyke is basically getting high during the Sifo-Dyas episode in Season 6)
  • Mature PDA (In the same episode, I noticed a Twi'lek was laying across a male's lap with his hand on her ass)
  • Inhuman villainy (Take Darth Maul's various multiple acts, for example)
  • Brutality (Did you see the way Anakin single-handedly choked Ventress with his saber at her throat, or the way Savage rammed his horn through Gallia's abdomen? There are several other examples too.)
  • Etc.

Maybe this initially emerged as a show aimed at children, but that's definitely not how it turned out, as you can see. Kids that are 7-12 probably don't know what all of those terms actually mean. Also, I just noticed the huge difference with Rebels. Now that I can understand being aimed at children. Sigh...

Cerez likes this

You're assuming two things though:

1. Kids wouldn't pick something more familiar to them, like Mufasa or Simba if we're using TLK as an example. You have to purchase each character, and I find it highly unlikely that you're going to buy Disney Infinity characters just for the express purpose of learning about them. Infinity isn't about creating a canon universe, it's about "What happens if Spider Man and Obi Wan Kenobi teamed up to fight people?"

2. Kids are the ones purchasing these things. More often than not, the parents are.

1. The Clone Wars starter pack above comes with the two main characters in a bundle. The playset also contains a story mode that is basically a story from The Clone Wars show.

2. Parents in general rarely have the time to watch every TV show and cartoon to see if it's appropriate for their children. That's why most trust the ratings. The parents may be the ones to buy it, but their children are the ones to suggest what they like.

1. Missed the point. If a kid doesn't watch TCW, they're not going to be interested in TCW playsets.

2. I would think that parents have a general idea what their kids are interested in. My parents never bought me Spider Man crap because I was never interested in it.

Anyway, again, TCW is marketed for 10 year olds. Disney Infinity is marketed for 10 year olds. Problem?

There are these so called global normalities for everything, a rating is the evaluation or assessment of something. Television Programs are rated by either the organization that manages the system,

the broadcaster or by the content producers themselves. From cartoon to toys, everything must be evaluated before they can be sold, however selling, is not the main/ only reason  for any rating.

Put yourself into the shoes of someone who has to evaluate TCW for example; you have to know what kind of stuff kids can handle, and at what age. Global Education, Pedagogy is the source of info.
Numerous tests have set the game for normalities in our world.  TCW season 2 doesn't seem to be too much for 7-8 years old kids. No one should set limits to their kids, as they are individuals.
Thing is, that there are parents who encourage their kids to go faster and higher if the kid has interest for something specific, like,  downhill carts. Some parents say it's too dangerous for their kid.

Being 100% sarcastic. In case you haven't had the chance to look into the series that far, some of the themes and events in the later seasons of The Clone Wars are absolutely not appropriate for children,
Even 12+ is questionable, yet alone 7+!

So, my point is, that Disney is well aware of these normalities and the global level of education and pedagogy. They're doing nothing wrong just because you think it's not appropriate.

eezstreet likes this