Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

Tom Cruise was in London recently and the rumor mill exploded that he would be contributing a cameo to J.J. Abrams‘ Star Wars Episode VII. Cruise famously gave Abrams his first break as a director, on Mission: Impossible III, and almost certainly would visit the director if he was in town. That’s one of those perks of being Tom Cruise. You get to visit the Star Wars set. But if he did visit the set, does that it mean he’s in the movie? Probably not, though anything is possible.

That may give you some relief DT85.

DT. likes this

JKG Developer

@@IrocJeff

Various Star Wars stories hinted on the fact, that the Galactic Empire was unique in its nature. Even though there were Sith Empires in the past, and the Republic, which existed for 25 000 years... Still it was not the same state. It is possible, that the Galactic Empire was special because it was constructed upon the former Republic institutions (which were the opposite of what the Sith wanted to create) and it was based mostly on the Imperial idea (not the Sith philosophies). It was the absolute rule of the Dark Side and its incarnation - Palpatine aka Darth Sidious - which were much more than Sith Lords or any similar fraction.

What I mean, is that such a mechanism might have had a larger impact on the Galaxy, than we believe. It is notable, that the real-life Empires also had a large influence even on peoples and nations which existed centuries later, not to mention those, who lived just after the collapse. Roman Empire is one such example - it left a large legacy for many European countries, including legislation, languages, culture and much more. Another "empire" that of German Reich also had it impact - besides most obvious antihumane actions and wars, the tragedy caused the creation of the United Nations and development of a large quantity of legal institutions. Also many countries gained independence after 1945. While some are prosperous now, some others entered the era of disarray.

@@DT85

It is a rumour, but if true, Tom Cruise is likely to appear the way George Lucas is seen in Episode III - baron Papanoida in the background. Cruise might be an alien in the background or some kind of ganster in the background. Or a trooper, or Imperial officer standing not far from the main villain. =)

DT. likes this

Theforce.net mentioned a large portion of spoilers on Star Wars, but I can't find them anywhere (some would say, that is for the best). But I am kind of a person, which after learning the whole plot never turns down watching a film.

Someone said, that most fans are discussing the possible appearance of Mara Jade, which is too iconic not to appear in the upcoming stories. Well, this might be just a wishful thinking. Some said, that there would a new mandalorian character in Episode VII.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a movie JJ Abrams directed when he was younger and he's making it into the new Star Wars Episode VII. So, yeah.

Just because he's directing the movie doesn't mean he's the screenplay writer or the only one involved.  Or that he is still stuck on the same old ideas as before.

JKG Developer

To me it would seem rather far fetched if that is the way its going to go considering the Empire was only power for like 20 years. Even on a galactic scale that doesn't seem like enough time to screw up the entire galaxy.

It's only taken our US president less than 8 years to wreak chaos on our constitution and country... and with our spineless or corrupt politicians we may not recover. I'm betting he could more than ruin the galaxy if God gave him half-a-chance.
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been out of town, but now I am back. Having read another portion of Episode VII news/spoilers and I feel agitated now. Now be careful, possible SPOILER ALERT.

As theforce.net says, we now have some elements of the plot revealed. It proves, that some of our older ideas are true. If you are not afraid to learn more than needed in advance, proceed to open the text below.

It was said before and some rumours back it up, that the characters of John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are the protagonists at least for the first part of the film. Th very beginning of the film is just like in any other Star Wars story - the yellow textcrawl. Then space and some say we see a hand with a lightsaber there, which is later found by the two young people down on the planet.

They identify the weapon to belong to a Jedi and later show it to Han Solo and Chewie. Not being a team as before and NOT flying Millenium Falcon anymore they recognize that to be a lightsaber of their friend Luke Skywalker whom they haven't seen for almost 30 years. Sources reveal, that meanwhile the evil forces are constructing a superweapon capable of destructing entire solar systems.

The team then is going after Luke Skywalker to the unknown planets...

The team of actors is also larger now, with new female characters on the horizon. 

About one of the earlier spoilers.

J.J.Abrams finally reveals the new X-Wing, which was spotted before on photos published a month ago. Now it has color and we can see all the details.

I think that...

If you read the spoilers, then it's okey to read here. I do understand, that the plot rumours are just basic ideas for now, and might have nothing to do with the actual story. But showing an arm in space, which lands on the surface and is found by someone. It's a bit bizarre even for Star Wars.

I am more into believing, that we might see an arm in space, but floating among garbage and dead ships field in the orbit of a planet, when it is found by a minor starship. For some reasons a battle might occur here, as the unknown force is trying to salvage the wreckage and the arm with a lightsaber as well. I believe that's what the fans might expect from J.J.Abrams now.

"I am more into believing, that we might see an arm in space, but floating among garbage and dead ships field in the orbit of a planet, when it is found by a minor starship. For some reasons a battle might occur here, as the unknown force is trying to salvage the wreckage and the arm with a lightsaber as well. I believe that's what the fans might expect from J.J.Abrams now."

That's a bit more reasonable, but I missed this, why is this rumor you're quoting true? Plausible?

JKG Developer

@@Darth Futuza

It is just a rumour and might prove to be false. The text you've quoted is actually of my origin, as an alternative to what the 'news' proposed.

Some more things mentioned:

The desert planet (where the hand is found) might be not Tatooine. I would rather see Corellia, but it is more likely, that it will be revealed later as Han Solo takes his ship and the new characters to meet with Leia Organa on the matter of finding the hand of Luke Skywalker (the strangest thing of all). Boyega is a former Imperial trooper which is on the run from his commanding officer - the one played by Gwendoline Christie. Earlier it was said, that she would be wearing silver stormtrooper armour and later on that she is a Mandalorian... Now they say, that this part was planned to be a male character in the beginning.

To tell the truth I like the idea, that this film might have more female leads than anticipated. Leia was the only female main character in OT, and Amidala took this role in later films. However the prequels have quite a variety of female characters in the background: Depa Billaba, Ayla Secura, Shmi Skywalker, Jocasta Nu and many others.

Too bad that Daisy Riedley might be playing the daughter of Han and Leia, but her name is most likely not Jaina Solo.

Having seen a minor interview with Mark Hamill, where he talks about Episode VII experience.

You can watch it here.

It's notable for some comments on the new film, it's comparison to old movies and personal feelings. It's worth watching.

The other thing that attracts me here, is that Mark Hamill speaks and moves very much like a real old Jedi Master. Re reminds me of old Obi Wan Kenobi here (too bad Alec Guinness didn't live up to this day to see the further impact of his work in Star Wars).

@@Archangel35757

I guess for the part he plays won't matter too much - he is most likely to wear a long brown Jedi cloak, which will make it difficult to identify him even as just Luke Skywalker at first glance. He is old after all. Obi Wan Kenobi is also in different shape in Episode IV, as we might remember.

Having looked through one of the earlier screenshots, I noticed two of strange astromech droids there. They look like a droid from Episode IV, but now I wonder whether these are actually the next generation of astromech droids. Just like the new X-Wing starfighter.

Two+busted+robots+-+who+bear+a+resemblan

If they have less round bodies, how can they fit into X-Wing or other ships?

z3filus likes this

Carrie & Mark were both told to lose weight, and Mark was also told to grow a beard. Luke will look more or less like my avatar, which is why I made it. :P

Btw, is that a dead Jawa sideways in the above pic?