Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

Ummm....where's Billy Dee Williams?

It is still possible he could appear, but not with Lando as a core character.  Though not announcing him either way, would seem like a bad PR move.

Look at it this way, the FULL cast will be much larger, but those are just the core roles.

I know it won't happen but I wish the movie was about the time between EPIII and IV. I also dislike how they treat the story that is actually already written about the time after VI. It will be really confusing for people who read the books and see something completely different in the movie. I'm really, really pessimistic about this movie after their last announcements even though Abrams did a good with Star Trek and even though John Williams is doing the soundtrack.

@@Szico VII

I also remeber only the bad guys roles of Max von Sydow. One is from the Minority Report, whilst the other is from the latest Shutter Island. However after having looked through his filmography, I might have seen more movies with him appearing as one of the characters. He is just unrecognizable in many of his roles.

Now I am the one who can't wait for more info on his participation in Episode VII and on overall story :)

It was always a wonder for me, that actors which we may consider as classic - P.Cushing, C.Lee, I.McDiarmid and of sourse Alec Guiness - they all participate in such a story like Star Wars.

Smoo likes this

I think I have irrational fear of sequels. It's come to the point where I hope there will never be a continuation of a story because it's... it's just uncomfortable. It's like when you're patting a cat, and you suddenly become hyper aware of the situation, and imagine the cat to be a naked human, aware of the situation and it becomes awkward and silent.

Ever since I became old enough to wait for and expect the sequel of a movie, it always felt like it was rather something that shouldn't exist, like sequels of for example Pirates of the Caribbean. Ice Age. Then The Hobbit became uncomfortable. Anchorman 2 felt like the biggest disaster of my life. 

I find it hard to look forward to another Star Wars movie, after all this time. But I hope I'll be surprised, so I can get out of my bad pattern.

eezstreet and NumberWan like this

So, now I feel somehow calmed down. I mean with the part of EU being non-canon, or at least canon for just a few years.

Calmed too soon? Well, why not. Having read some of the articles regarding the actors and the enthusiasm, some of them show when talking in interviews or twittering, I feel that Episode VII might have a very big and impressive story.

Apart from the most recent news, one thing catches the attention: the role of Harrison Ford in Episode VII. Some say he has a major part there.

And... this brings us to a very old story, when Harrison Ford almost begged G.Lucas to "kill" Han Solo in Episode VI. I am glad this never happened... But for some reasons I feel it will in this particular Episode. Harrison Ford (as it seems) never truly enjoyed the fame around Han Solo. Somehow I believe he saw his character a bit different - Han Solo is more like a cowboy who is not truly interested in heroic reputation. He does have a sense of honor however and understanding of some things, which eventually keep him with all of our beloved characters aboard Millennium Falcon for three episodes... So who knows, who knows... Maybe they are making a worthy "retreat" for the old smuggler.

The other thing is that some minor characters (the fact being mentioned before slightly) might come back both from OT and the prequels. Unlikely, but characters like Mass Amedda and Orn Free Taa might have a glimpse in the background on Coruscant, as well as some others.

But to be serious - what about the Imperials? General Veers survived the battle of Hoth and Julian Glover is just one of actors you would more than welcome to come back to your favourite film. I am still under impression of his role in Ivanhoe among others, including the notable one in Indiana Jones.

However it would be unwise to bring all of the old cast into one movie at once. General Veers re-appearance might work better way in Episode VIII. And there is Episode IX in the farthest future as well...

One more thing is about Andy Serkis. I have a strong feeling, that this is a time for Obi Wan Kenobi's quote from Episode I: "Why do I get the feeling that we've picked up another pathetic life form?" What I mean is that Andy Serkis is a talented actor, which we all know for his role of Gollum in LOTR. And there are more. So I guess with the current level of digital tech, they might like to introduce a new alien. I thought of noghri, regarding Leia and Vader stuff, but it's more likely that we see a very unique species, previously unknown. We still have Chewbacca on the light side, so what if A.Serkis is to play an alien ally of the main antagonist?

This idea might work with any of all other actors: why should we believe, that they will be humans in Episode VII? We might not see their real faces at all! (and masks and hoodies are part of Star Wars traditions, we all know that)

;)

@@Szico VII

I also remeber only the bad guys roles of Max von Sydow. One is from the Minority Report, whilst the other is from the latest Shutter Island. However after having looked through his filmography, I might have seen more movies with him appearing as one of the characters. He is just unrecognizable in many of his roles.

Now I am the one who can't wait for more info on his participation in Episode VII and on overall story :)

It was always a wonder for me, that actors which we may consider as classic - P.Cushing, C.Lee, I.McDiarmid and of sourse Alec Guiness - they all participate in such a story like Star Wars.

Don't know if you saw this movie, but Max Von Sydow plays the evil Brewmeister Smith in "Strange Brew". Oddball movie but really fun.  A fun fact, Angus Macinnus was Gold Leader in the first Star Wars movie and also played the character of "Rosie" LaRose in Strange Brew. 

What if Max von Sydow is to play the ghost of Obi-Wan? Put a beard on him and he'd be a good likeness.

I suppose that could work but, so far, there's been no mention of anybody in the cast list that could play Obi-Wan so I'm not even sure if he'll be in it.  I know that Ewan McGregor said that he would certainly say 'yes' if he were to be asked to return to the character.  I know a lot of people may not like his portrayal of Obi-Wan but i think he did a great job with the material that he was given.

But hey, at this point, i think he couldn't keep a straight face xD

We must remember, that Obi Wan appeared as a Force ghost only for some time. EU has a number of sources, indicating it happened for quite a long time. But with the EU cancellation, both ways are available: Obi Wan might be able to appear for quite long time, and he might have disappeared just after Battle of Endor.

I wouldn't like to see Max von Sydow as another incarnation of Obi Wan: two is just enough. And surely no one beats the original old master. =) But yes, I do like McGregor as young Obi Wan too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm most excited to get another John Williams score, still my favorite composer. Even if it somehow flops (don't think it will) I can still enjoy a great soundtrack.

Probably my favorite fake poster to date:

star-wars-episode-vii-fan-poster.jpg

JKG Developer

I'm most excited to get another John Williams score, still my favorite composer. Even if it somehow flops (don't think it will) I can still enjoy a great soundtrack.

Well he has written and composed a lot of fantastic scores in his time.  I only hope that they don't go the direction they took in Man of Steel where they removed the bloody Superman theme altogether!  I highly doubt it I mean Abrams values his successful life too much lol.

Anyhoo for the sake of awesomeness! Even when I was young I'd always listen to the part at 4:49... I'd daydream of standing on Tatooine in that universe far far away..  Heck sometimes it made me long to be there, the strings really sound great especially when accompanied by them French horns.  I also really like 2:12, it makes me think about an epic lightsaber duel, sabers rolling and spinning elegantly.  I have a weird imagination lol.  Just listening to this song as I type it, it's such a fantastic piece of music and it truly describes the Star Wars universe perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rQSJDLM8ZE