Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

As an old SW fan, I am watching carefully the whole this story with the new Episodes, the two spin-offs and the new series. Some rumours are really good to hear, but some are just rubbish.

It's a wonder, that Star Wars is entering the new era in its history. So many things at once, but in any case nothing (yet) to see, to wait for... I think, there wasn't so much secretiveness about Episode I at the time. Not to mention, that Episode II was already a clear plot even before they announced everything, whilst Episode III was obviously a connection between two trilogies.

Episode VII is different. It has always been more of an illusion, which would never live up to anyone's expectations.

The whole activity on Ep.VII front reminds me the words of my mother, who said, that George Lucas had always said, that Star Wars could continue for ages - after I showed her the Dark Forces II game back in 1997.

69037_659145477464499_394863258_n.jpg

first movie poster has come out, looks good. I'm a little bit speculative of the "*.deviantart.com" bit, I think it might be a fake based on that, but not positive. Could just be someone's reupload of it, not sure.

If you note, they very slightly and subtly changed the Star Wars logo

new logo:

star_wars_logo_wallpaper-1440x900.jpg

old logo:

Star-wars-logo-black_single-800x800.jpg

It's a subtle change, but I actually really like the new logo. It stays true to the original but brings a modern look to it.

Flynn, Sentra and therfiles like this

As a big fan of all the books that have been written fleshing out the canon around the movies, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think Abrams should do his best to make a good movie first, without trying to pander, but if it goes over anything in the books, I disregard the story.

Also from a canon standpoint, The Clone Wars is complete crap.

I really enjoyed the Clone Wars series. Not the crap animation one, but the one they recently cancelled. I was sorry to see it go since the ending was a cliffhanger. 

At any rate, I think the new Star Wars is going to be fine. Kathleen Kennedy said in an interview that she personally watched fan films online that used real sets and props and cgi, as much cgi as fan film cans do, and they are going to make sure that its not overdone. You can't do anything but have faith in that and hope they do, which I think they will. 

From what I know, there hasn't been any official posters just yet. Also no info on the new logo, and I guess, it's also a fake one, because the Internet actually has some other sources already, indicating, that logo remains the same (these include the new video games, the Rebels TV series, as well as new Lego sets, based on the Rebels and more).

Changing logo is also a serious matter. I would prefer this aspect of Star Wars to stay unchanged, as a special symbol, if you ask me. Some things must stay true to themselves.

The confirmed news is different - the script is done, Carrie Fisher 100% participates in shooting in April, as well as Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford, and the most important stuff begins in May 2014.

Some people speculate, that Episode VII will be the last movie to tell the story of the classic trio, Episode VIII and IX on the contrary will show more of the next generation. But everything remains to be seen. In the light of making a new movie and not making it too disappointing, some fans published a very good video addressing J.J.Abrams on how not to spoil the good story.

http://youtu.be/_joDNOpeWWo

I must say, I don't agree with all things, mentioned in the video. I think Star Wars is great for the very reason, that it can be different, showing very contrast things, several sides of one character, one planet, one event, one problem, one Galaxy. So there is place both for rebel bases and ancient temples, for elegant libraries and slimy cantinas, Imperial cruisers and Naboo silver starships, sandy back-water Tatooine and maritime highly advanced Kamino, among many other things.

The video is quite good in a sense, that it makes good points, that Episode VII should indeed look like Episodes IV-VI, with older ships, with the technologies, which remind us of the Imperial era, rather than the prequels (in my opinion have to be that shiny and new, at least due to the reason, that all events shown there take place before the Dark Times).

That's all for now. Or almost... Well, one spoiler perhaps?

According to an article on TheForce.net, one of the new Episodes will show us the planet, mentioned in the Original Trilogy and shown much later in SW The Old Republic. I think you can guess, which planet they speak of.

I actually like Mon Mothma, though I am quite sure, we won't be seeing her in the new movies at all. By that time - as I recall it - she was quite sick or even died after long service for the Alliance and later the New Republic.

As we don't know yet, which timeline they are planning to show, there are quite a lot of background things which are difficult to predict, such as the who is in charge of the Republic, what the Jedi look like after the Empire, whether the Jedi Temple looks the same and if it used somehow, etc. All these things have been elaborated in one way or another in EU sources, but as far as I remember, they said they are not gonna follow any previously established canon.

I am trying to remember - again and again - whether I knew anything at certain production stage like this (with Episode VII), when we all were waiting the prequels. Back in 2000 or 2001 I got my hands on unofficial script of Episode II, which looked pretty much like what we've seen in Episode II except for some things. It had quite a detailed description of most scenes, planets, creatures, aliens, which could drive one fan's mind. As for Episode III I was checking the Internet myself instead, taking small parts of rumours here and there, comparing them and later adding into one text, which would remind, what we see in ROTS. I think, the same is forthcoming with Episode VII. Yet, I have a different feeling right now about the sequels...

There was a rumour, that the good old trio was getting in shape, preparing for the parts of Luke, Leia and Han. In any case they will be quite old in Episode VII, so just get the Jedi robe and go ahead. =)

I thought, that some characters from the Prequels might re-appear in Episode VII as well, and not just the dead Jedi as holograms in the new Jedi Temple, but some minor background ones, like Orn Free Taa, Baron Papanoida, or perhaps some species, introduced there - a Roonan or Neimodian in the back. I believe in most cases it will be impossible (perhaps for the best too), as between the prequels and the sequels happened a lot - in almost 60+ years! So no familiar humans, no doubt.

I also wonder, whether we will see Tatooine again. This planet is so iconic, not only it appeared in almost every film of the Saga, but also in many games, books, cartoons - they all bring it to our notice.

Surely seeing some minor things from the OT would suffice my expectations as a fan too (besides the desire for a true feel of Star Wars), but I would really like to see the old aliens from cantina in Mos Eisley back here - Ithorians, Kitonaks, Devaronians, H'nemthe, Qiraash, Nimbanel or others. Some ships like Moldy Crow (Kyle Katarn's ship), Mon Calamari cruisers. And Bothans. =)

• 3 months later...

Me too. It's good to see that all of the original cast is back, even though the appearance of Chewbacca means a first contradiction with the EU. But I guess it's not that bad, if the film has a good plot a story far more captivating than the Yuuzhang Vong (my opinion, such sacred characters as Chewbacca should have never been touched outside the films! Some people never thought the books got it so far).

The second interesting thing is probably the new cast. And for now this choice gives at least something to reflect upon.

Domhnall Gleeson

For some reasons I do believe, that this actor will take the role of Ben Skywalker. Mostly because he has the type that of very ypung Luke Skywalker who reminds us of a farm boy in Episode IV. According to the books, Mara Jade is the wife of Luke Skywalker and gives birth to Ben. The hair color reminds of that woman, but all that is true, should they continue to exploit the line, that Mara Jade is indeed the wife of Luke and someone else (and they stated, that familiar faces from EU might still appear).

I feel, the film might be very good because of the appearance of Max von Sydow. Being an old actor, he might be playing either an old Jedi master in the new order, or an older Imperial bad guy. He can also be sort of a political guy in the Republic or sort of Sate Pestage. I'm confident he wouldn't receive a minor role.

Daisy Ridley also gives certain expectations. I haven't seen her before and that's good. With her looks she might play a role of Jaina Solo. IMDB presents a photo of her resembling that of Natalie Portman, and the latest pictures of Jaina show her looking more like Amidala. I guess there is no contradiction here, that a girl looks like her grandmother.

In any case there is a whole bunch of actors now, and all of them could be playing very new characters to Star Wars.