DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol

Inspired by @@DT85's work at the Heavy Repeater I decided to start gathering reference material for the DL-44

pics will come soon

EDIT :

finished my basic sketch for the guns right side, drawn over photos of the original Mauser C96 model the DL44 was built from

3Ppjs2T.png

it's lacking a lot of details as of now but I don't need to have them in my sketch as of now , mainly a lot of small nubs & ribs

but I included some of the asymmetric details from the right side of the gun , still have to finish the left side and sketch up the scope, I also jsut noticed that I completely forgot a piece that sits right behind the flash hider on top of the barrel

I use turbosmooth render iterations at 4 for when the model renders, and iterations at 2 or 3 for viewport so I can see what I'm doing incase I've forgot a part. :P

that's what I do but my max starts crawling and crashing every 5 minutes around 300k polys which is usually the moment I transfer my finished pieces over to mudbox

EDIT : I might require your help for the viewport Animations DT, as I suck at animating :D

DT. likes this

Don't worry about animations, I'll do them as there's a particular setup and I want all viewmodels to be made the same way for consistency. Will just need:

viewmodel = 2,000 tris give or take with a 2048x texture

world model = 1,000 tris give or take with a 1024x texture

For the viewmodel, make round bits as round as possible so it doesn't look blocky. :)

EDIT:

@@eezstreet

Can you please make it so a universal arm model GLM is bolted to the weapon GLM at its model_root (like Sof2)? They will share the same bones & GLA.

AshuraDX likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

@@Grab the handle is quite close to the original hero prop used in ROTJ but differs greatly from the stunt props you might be thinking of

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/452189-han-solos-dl-44-prop-replica-photo-gallery/item/42329-dl44_007/

if you explain or provide reference shots of what you want me to change let me know

oh if you are getting at the missing indented lines on the grip - I'll add them to the lowpolys textures & normal map

I also have to give that grip a bit more of a belly

@@Grab I have to disagree here, simply because the gun in Jedi Academy is supposed to resemble the gun han solo used in the OT

and to me the base DL44 model just doesn't look as it should, actually there are quite a few inconsistencys with the movie props aswell

the stunt props differ greatly from the so called "hero prop" and there are tons of other version of the same gun

take a look at this : http://www.tested.com/art/makers/452186-how-obsessive-fans-built-better-han-solo-blaster/

Comparison of world, view and highpoly model

Screenshot%202014-09-19%2023.45.08.png?d

Screenshot%202014-09-19%2023.47.05.png?d

World is at 2132 tris

View at 3690 tris

I sadly could not match your budget @@DT85 =/ don't really know where to cut them down any further - got a few ideas for the world model but I doubt that I can save a lot more there, will reduce the sides of the front grill and front of the gun body

but I doubt I'll get the worldmodel below 1800 tris

EDIT : World model is at 1945 tris now...

EDIT2: noticed I accidentally did not attach a part to the viewmodel : 3760 tris in total now

hhunter6, Bek, Barricade24 and 7 others like this