Medium of Darkness (MP TC)

Well I've been working on this forever already (Since 2009, is it?), I do plan on finishing some day...

NB: Originally this was going to have a fantasy-themed counterpart, but the workload is simply too great, and I'd rather focus on the Star Wars aspects and assimilate some of the mage-gameplay elements into it instead.

Overview

- New weapons and hundreds of new and improved force powers.

- Highly customisable class-based gameplay. Players choose an archetype, then select powers and upgrades to tailor-make their character.

- Mixed gametypes. Games are won by completing variable "missions" within a map.

- New ways of moving through the environment, such as levitation, teleportation and climbing.

- Actionbar interface, with adjustable layout and key bindings for quickly organising and selecting your powers and weapons.

- Improved graphical effects and widescreen compatibility.

Gameplay

A typical game consists of two teams fighting over key points in a map. At certain times, "missions" will become accessible from these locations. These missions are chosen semi-randomly, and may be team-specific attack/defend types (Where the team that activated the mission must complete it, while the other team tries to stop them) like Demolition or VIP, or team-neutral (Both teams have the same objective) such as Salvage, CTF or Deathmatch. Points are awarded for enemy kills, but missions provide many more points and temporary bonus effects to the victorious team.

Every player has access to a huge number of weapons, force powers and passive upgrades, but it is up to the individual to choose which of these best suit their style of play, and are of most use to the team. There are five classes, each with two sets of abilities. Abilities can be selected in any combination, but higher tiers are locked, and must be unlocked by selecting abilities form lower tiers first. Each successive tier requires two previous abilities to have been chosen from the set. A total of fifteen abilities may be used at any time.

Classes

- Knight

The Knight is a frontline melee class, able to both deal and sustain considerable damage. This class has higher health and armour than any other, and powerful basic attacks with a lightsabre, which can be upgraded to a staff. The Knight's speed and ferocity can be augmented by the Rage abilities, while improved survivability can be gained from Resistance.

- Assassin

Also a lightsabre-wielding melee combatant, the Assassin favours a less direct approach. Great speed, agility and stealth compensate for lower health and weaker attacks, and a second lightsabre can be used for improved defence and rapid attacks. Combat abilities make the Assassin an adept duelist, while Evasion grants devastating hit-and-run attacks.

- Acolyte

For a more subtle, supportive role, the Acolyte uses the Force to heal allies and weaken foes. The Acolyte is best placed behind the front lines, protected by the team; although they can greatly fortify a team, Acolytes themselves are easily overwhelmed. Their Defiance abilities improve healing and defensive capabilities, and Mortality allows them to weaken advancing enemies.

- Destroyer

The Destroyer is the antithesis of the Acolyte. Though both use the Force instead of a physical weapon, the Destroyer has a vast array of lethal powers to assault the enemy over short distances. They use the Animosity abilities to blast foes with various forms of lightning, or improve their mobility and control of the battlefield using Manipulation abilities.

- Sentry

The Sentry is the only class to use firearms in battle. Sentries have a far greater capability for ranged combat than any other class, and can engage the enemy at almost any distance, though they must be careful not to allow enemies to get too close. Skirmish gives the Sentry rapid fire and quick movement at short ranges, while Longshot allows for high powered shots and explosive support from huge distances.

And now, a series of random screenshots and videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLSf-vkxt30

Screen_shot_2012-01-16_at_21.49.07.png

screenshot20120625at141.png

shot0264.jpg

screenshot20120625at153.png

screenshot20100313at173.png

However...

I'm still in great need of modellers, for both weapons and character models, as well as animators. Later on I will also be wanting mappers, but that's less urgent. Unfortunately I can't do everything by myself (But don't tell anyone that).

Edited by The One and Only
Azatha likes this
  • 4 months later...

Ok, I'm in the process of creating a vastly simplified Christmas version of this mod. It's stripped down to three classes, and a simpler system for choosing weapons and abilities that more closely resembles base JKA's force power selection, and the objective-based game mode is out for now (FFA, TDM and CTF only, duel and siege probably won't work properly). However, I'm making all new powers, altering weapon functionality and changing the graphical style.

I will however, need some help. I can do all the coding and GUI work myself, if I have time I'll get going on a map or two as well. I need people to make weapon models (guns) and a small number of player skins (models would be preferable, if anyone can work that fast). At a push, if anyone wants to put together some Christmas themed maps that would be great too. I've already spoken to Caelum and there's a high probability of hosting an event for this too, but I need to be finished within the next 3/4 weeks. Get to it people! (please)

Well, I'm going to try and replace weapon spawners with random present drops, which will contain power-ups, so weapon placement might want a little bit of tweaking (you could put more locations in, there will only be one present on the map at a time). That's the only technical thing, otherwise if you want to put a giant Christmas tree in somewhere, and strings of lights around the place that would be great!

Edit: Oh, I'm also adding a grappling hook for one of the classes, but that shouldn't cause any problems.

Right, if anyone's up for doing weapon models, I'm after some slightly archaic looking guns. Some I have references for, others are more general. I'll be needing:

Flintlock Rifle (Disruptor Rifle)

Crossbow (Bowcaster, I guess? might just use @@Inyri's if that's alright)

Automatic Rifle (Repeater), specifically this: http://img440.images...9940001791j.jpg

Flare gun (DL44 Pistol)

Pepperbox pistol (Bryar Pistol) http://hellinahandba...box-handgun.jpg

De-icer Flamethrower (DEMP 2) http://farm8.staticf...a544364cb_z.jpg (paint the can to look like a can of de-icer, perhaps?)

Bauble (Det Pack)

Some sort of hook thing, that will be to hold a line of tinsel (Trip Mine)

Additionally, a bazooka to replace the Rocket Launcher would be nice, but not strictly needed.

I still need to come up with one more sidearm for one of the classes, anyone have any suggestions?

In this case, speed in more important than quality. If anyone feels they can help out, go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm throwing snowballs at Galak Fyarr as we speak. Admittedly they still look like Thermal Detonators, but they act like snowballs, and the harder you throw them the more damage they do. Also recently finished functionality for the "Sleigh Rein" grappling hook, as well as a bunch of other stuff which I'm having too much fun pelting the Admiral (That should be a saying) to explain.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, yesterday morning I made the mistake of going to the nearest town with a shopping centre, which is possibly the most disgusting, filth ridden hole I've ever seen. I now seem to have contracted something resembling the plague, and need to go and lie down before my head explodes from looking at a screen for more than five minutes at a time. Consequently there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to finish this off (despite being frustratingly close to completion) in time for Christmas. Lesson learned, the south end of England is the shit end.