I need someone who knows his way around scripting!

Heya guys, well some of you might know about my WeaponsHD mod. Uhm, now that I've done some progress for it already, I'm gonna start another weapon pack, that's gonna include a lot of mixed weapons, and I had this crazy idea!

Most of the weapons are lets say "normal" at first, but they can have their activated counterparts, something like sabers... I want to add a function that enables the player to "activate" this weapon at the cost of let's say 20 force power.
The weapon would change it's model and have additional properties, so all in one, the activated one would be a totaly standalone saber.

Here's the catch. I'd like to ask if this is even possible. To make a script, that WHICHEVER WEAPON YOU CHOOSE and when you press a pre-bound key, the weapons changes it's form. When you press it again, it changes back. Simple as that... At the cost of let's say 20 force power, as I stated above. Is this possible and would anyone mind helping me with that? I know a small bit on editing shader, npc, saber files, strings and so on.. .though I'm a total noob when I need some complicated scripting like this.

Would the weapon behaviour change? How?

You would need coding for this, not scripting. And it would be different for SP vs MP. It's not necessarily as easy as you make it sound because of some limitations with regards to networking.

haha okay bout his/hers, sorry... I'll keep that in mind, folks :P

No no look I'll try to explain it a bit more... okay if I need coding, than allright. But.. For example. The 9 SP sabers would be some... 9 weapons, normal ones. And let's say I'd implent a feature named "Weapon Transevolution", that once I press a certain key on the keyboard, the weapon would "evolve" into another (probably same model with .. other additions, for example a different blade, maybe a glowing ghost that carries shields and so on blah blah I have many ideas)

The main point is that NO MATTER WHICH WEAPON I'D HAVE CHOSEN, it would evolve into its corresponding "evolution". Something like what can be seen in Shaman King, just not totaly like it... but the transformations the weapons do are the same point. You get it now?

The "evolved" models would not be availible to choose anyhow... just the normal ones. Those normal ones would than be able with a press of a key to evolve up and take 20force points as cost. By pressing another key, the weapon would evolve back down to its original form.

Coding? I can write you some configs for that. Only thing is without code you can't compare values of cvars, you can only modify stuff in a more round-about way. I'm sure with a little cleverness we could make it work though.

everyone assumes everyone is a male here because it's a 10+ year old game, it was never popular in the first place, it's about something as nerdy as Star Wars, and hardcore gaming is mainly a male thing.

Coding? I can write you some configs for that. Only thing is without code you can't compare values of cvars, you can only modify stuff in a more round-about way. I'm sure with a little cleverness we could make it work though.

Do you really get my idea? You think it could actually work? I could explain this whole idea of mine a bit further, and a bit more into detail if you want. Though it's gonna be a quite long explanation as I want to include everything I want in it to work.

Do you really get my idea? You think it could actually work? I could explain this whole idea of mine a bit further, and a bit more into detail if you want. Though it's gonna be a quite long explanation as I want to include everything I want in it to work.

Go for it.

Ok lets see. For example, let's say I made 3 weapons, a katana, a broadsword and a bamboo sword. I have also made an evolved katana, which gains a blue outline on the blade and some ghost balls around the user's hands. The evolved broadsword would become a bit bigger and different looking. The bamboo sword would get shields left/right from the player's hands.. well all those details aren't really important that much, it's important you understand that the part where the player HOLDS the weapon stays the same, I only make a change in the blade model (though they're made as 2 different models/sabers).

Now I'd have 6 weapons ingame, from that 3 normal ones and 3 evolved ones. I would also replace the first 3 sabers from the SP menu with those 3 normal weapons. And now the script or rather code as you said that I need, is something that NO MATTER WHICH SABER OF THOSE I HAVE CHOSEN, each would evolve only into it's corresponding evolution. If a weapon doesn't have one, nothing would happen. The point is I want this for a mod but not to be changed each with keybindings or such...

Hey there, sorry for responding so late!

I use ICARUS, JKA's scripting language, pretty heavily. The idea is certainly possible...and really cool! The only thing that just wouldn't work would be making the player lose 20 fp, as ICARUS has no control over forcepoints unfortunatly! That being said, I think it could be possible...with a dynamic script and a fixed bind.

Rooxon likes this

Okay well.. Do I need the models ready or could you start writing this for me? Oh, even BEFORE that... in what form will I get the final working result of the scripting? pk3? I mean, can I easily incorporate it with my mod?

My only expertise is with scripting SP mods...I'm not sure if that's what your looking for. You'd get it in the form of a .pk3, but you'd probably need to execute a .cfg in order to run the startup scripts and set the proper binds! :)

okay well I made this topic as I'm requesting someone to do it for me, I'm having my own hard time learning advanced C# coding right now at faculty... I would want to do that... It's a shame I can't use force power consumption... But hey, I have another Idea. If I can't use force power cost, would there be another way? like, I could activate this power once and than it needs 2 minutes to "recharge" (there would be an additional button or something in the hud to give away when it's ready to transform again)

If I don't ask too much, could you @@therfiles start working on that? I'd supervise it the whole time so it's really what I want, we can move the talk about it into PM.. other than that, thanks a lot guys, I appreciate you're willing to help already now.

^ICARUS might be cleaner than me writing scripts, and by scripts I mean chains of commands. As you can write a variable using the "runscript" console command, so your icarus script no longer needs to be tied to a map.

However if you don't want the player to have to use the console or cheats at all, we could use menus to have them select the saber, then the menu would set a variable such as "vstr evolvesaber" to the correct .sab file set using a .cfg based on what button the player presses.

CaptainCrazy likes this

Well i respect all of you scripters, i can't script for shit lol.  I dunno... In high school i was always keen to do the practical visual work but hated writing the theory and evaluation.  I guess scripting is kinda the same thing to me when it comes to that and 3D modeling xD

Rooxon likes this

I'm not yet much of a scripter/coder, as I just started going to IT Faculty this year. Even in my old modding days all I could throw together was some easy keybindings at most, but my knowledge right now is kinda repressed, I've remembered a lot of things already and it's still not nearly as much as I was capable back than.

Well leaving this aside, I like the idea @ though is there any way to put in some kind of... cost for the activation? cause if it won't cost anything, I'd be capable to do simple keybindings on my own... I don't need that. In any way, I need something that comes as close as possible to my description on the first site. The cost for the activation makes it actually fun to play, otherwise they'd be just weapons which you could make stronger whenever you'd wish. I don't want that.

CaptainCrazy likes this