Graphics Cards and 3D modeling software...

My card is a MSI R5770 Hawk with a slight overclock and I'm using Softimage Mod Tool 7.5

http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R5770_Hawk.html

It all depends on the program as far as performance, I haven't compared lately but back in the day one of the main reasons I started using Softimage was because super high poly scenes that would lag kill Max would run fine in Softimage.

I also use Softimage 2013 Student, Mudbox 2013 Student, Zbrush 4R6, Substance Painter and Milkshape 3D 1.8.4.

No issues that I've found and I've taken models that had millions of polygons from Mudbox into Softimage.

DT. likes this

It all depends on the program as far as performance, I haven't compared lately but back in the day one of the main reasons I started using Softimage was because super high poly scenes that would lag kill Max would run fine in Softimage.

Is this in Mod Tool, the version you pay for or both?

That was way back in the day with a 3ds Max 7 trial and I believe Softimage|XSI 4.2 that I got from a former LA employee when modding SWBF2. May be different now but kinda doubt it since I've read that 3ds max is still buggy when it comes to lots of polygons.

I tried downloading a student copy of 3ds max 2013 but it kept failing to install for some reason.

I'm using two nVidia GTX 580 3GB cards... I've not done anything to stress them out... I also have downloaded nVidia's free, unsupported Gelato GPU Renderer... there is a plugin that goes along with the Gelato Renderer that supports 3dsMax 8, 9, 2008 (called Amaretto) and one for Maya called Mango... not sure of the supported Maya versions. I've not really done anything yet to stress test these cards... to see where I would hit a memory issue... but I think for GPU rendering the entire scene has to fit in the graphics memory on each card.

I'm just running a GTX 600 series (not home so can't say which one) with 1GB GDDR5. Zbrush behaves better on my current PC, which is great when it comes to sculpting fine details. My old GTX 540 couldn't do it, but was also due to my 1st gen core i3.