NpcSP (V2 Testers Needed!)

@@therfiles

You should also add saving templates for your own custom npcs. So I don't have to change all the settings everytime.

EDIT: Also, can this mod be used for mp? And another question, why do the mp npcs suck compared to sp npcs?

That template idea is amazing...not sure if I can get it to work. You see, the mod is based around CVARS, and I could do a writeconfig that would save them, but that has the possibility to capture a lot of other junk information that would damage the utility...I'll see what I can do.

And this is an SP only mod. I think MP supports the spawning of NPCs, but doesn't have nearly as many functions that allow you to modify or control them. I'm guessing the AI code was only partially ported to the MP version but that's pure speculation! :P

Stoiss likes this

NPCsp is amazing.

yeah, about the template, maybe you must modify the dll for that.

There is a way to apply existant templates, using "exec ***.cfg", but I fear you must use notepad to create these templates.

I'm sure Therfiles will find a solution ! :winkthumb:

Hi! Thanks for the high praise! ^_^

Maybe I could make a guide for how to create your own templates that capture your preferred NPC properties in notepad...that could work! It's not too much work having to sift through them all each time, but I can see it being a bit of a pain. I wouldn't want to mess with code too too much because I'd like these mods to stay fairly stand-alone, so they can work with any code layout in the future. So I'm working around things that OpenJK fixed a long time ago...but I think that will provide a more optimal download experience for the future (wow that sounded really fancy...)

Anyways, I'll look into it. I think that could be quite nifty. Quite. By the way, there is one fairly large bug that will put a minor damper on things: in Advanced mode, when you are spawning NPCs with custom properties, scripts are being run to make them properties work properly. When NPC freezing is on, that prevents the commands from being executed on the NPC which is a big sad face for making your npcs not fight each other too much. I'm going to look into working around that ugly, hideous cockroach-sized bug.

Stay tuned, folks! :winkthumb:

EDIT: After a bit of testing, it appears that whole freezing thing won't be a bit of an issue. Due to a core feature of the mod, the utility will delete any corrupt NPCs when another NPC is spawned. This should fix the problem...to a certain extent. You can only spawn one custom NPC when freezing is enabled. Which isn't terrible...

Lancelot, DarthStiv and Kualan like this
  • 1 year later...

I'd want to give you a hand with NpcSp V2 if you want.

You said that thing of spawning more NPCs (Kotf 3.0 's "Tracker NPC spawn". When KOTF was cancelled I tried making it and it worked far more better !!

I don't know if you already did it, but I did so, if it could be helpful :

(when clicking on the NPC name) the action is the following:

exec "npc spawn therfiles; bind b therfiles"

therfiles  (You) are an undentified NPC in this case, ok ?  

So I'm able, by clicking "B" , to spawn whenever I want the last NPC I spawned.

When you do it with another NPC it is overwritten, so now you have the other NPC set to be spawned with B  :)

I think your mods are fantastic and I don't doubt you're able to do more that my advices. I just told you if you forgot something..I don't know  :)

However I'd suggest you to make yourself something like "KotF Npc/Add Remove System"... if you can even do it with .CFG files as you did with the previous versions of NpcSp, it would be awesome !!  :winkthumb:

It should be useful at least to know, because I would need it for my mod and want to be able to edit its file to add my own NPCs. However credit to you for NpcSP  ;)

I look forward to seeing it, until then, good luck with it for the next few days  ;)

• 6 months later...

Hi @@Tompa9,

My mods don't add any NPCs, code, or anything else that would compete with any other mods. As long as we can make sure that the .menu file definitions don't overlap (since it loads the ingame menus from only one file) there should be no problem.

I try my best to make my mods as clean, and as compatible with other mods as possible. Thanks! If you want, you can test the current version of NpcSP with that mod to see if there are any problems.

Tompa9 likes this

Hi @@Tompa9,

My mods don't add any NPCs, code, or anything else that would compete with any other mods. As long as we can make sure that the .menu file definitions don't overlap (since it loads the ingame menus from only one file) there should be no problem.

I try my best to make my mods as clean, and as compatible with other mods as possible. Thanks! If you want, you can test the current version of NpcSP with that mod to see if there are any problems.

Thank you, it is nice that you are interested. I have already tried it and it doesnt work. I mean these commands in JKE. I could send you screenshots in PM :)