Maps Worthy of being Archived

Your thread title is so trollish I don't even know if I should take the bait or not.

That EU clan isn't hosting the files, they are merely posting a handy list of links to those files. Yours on the other hand, heh.

But my 2 cents which I'm not giving to you, thanks for that link from them, I see they have more maps than your site, I shall go and get whatever I want from there instead. :)

What map isn't worthy of getting archived? A work is a work, and whether or not it's good or bad, it should still get archived...

And furthermore, just because others might not have gotten permission to rehost (or so you think, anyway, no solid evidence leaning either way) doesn't mean you should do it too. I mean hey, Tim ran a scam too, why shouldn't I? People absolutely loved him! (partial sarcasm and partial truth, some people genuinely liked the guy for what he did)

Why aren't you trying to contact these authors and get this shit hosted on JKHub though? Seems like the wise thing to do.

Omicron likes this

@@Mysterious Stranger

Actually DGS maps does host the files, you can download the pk3 directly from the site. It comes with a link to the original file, but many of the links go to pcgamemods, so I'm grateful they decided to host it themselves in a way (even without permission), otherwise we would have lost many old JKA maps...

Proof of this: http://www.dgs-clan.eu/download/gamedata/base/casa_de_los_parias.pk3

Not taking sides with anyone here, just pointing this out :D.

@, why are you trying to prioritize people + files here? First the whole top authors thing, then this list, and then trying to make some sort of special forum thing.. it's not in the nature of this community. Also one of my maps is there, I was not asked. Permission granted but seriously.. this is a community. If you are going to be a part of it, please be respectful.

@@Pande

What are you talking about Pande? Lord Revian is showing us what it means to be a true sith lord! Sith don't ask for permission, we do what we want. Do you think Palpatine asked for permission to wipe out the jedi? I think not.

UNLIMITED POWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took me around a month of solid work to gather permission for around 1,000 files on JKHub back when we started.  It would had been much easier for me to not ask for permission, but it's simply the right thing to do regardless of whether another site does it or not.

If you want to host files on your own website you'll need to find a decent webhost PLUS at least ask permission and show proof of asking (Emails).

Omicron likes this

@@Pande @@SiLink @@eezstreet asking for permission to host on MY site for MY personal use is saying I need permission to download files of your from the jkhub.org. Also @@Pande they really our archived files and they aren't being as formal as the JKhub therefore as long as don't sell them illegally I don't see an issue and waste my time asking permission from the authors as I am not stealing, modifying your work I am simply hosting them as an alternative in case the sites go away forever and I choose to host the files that are the best and most interesting.

Also @@Pande @@eezstreet @@SiLink I don't think this site: http://www.dgs-clan.eu/content/jka-maps.htm asked permission to host the files did they?

Who cares what other sites have or have not done? This is about doing the right thing regardless if you can get away with it or not. 

Also, if this is for your own personal use then why go to the trouble of making a public website where other people can download files? Surely a folder on your desktop is better fit for this purpose?

eezstreet, Omicron and Futuza like this