.menu file builder/visual aid program?

Just use /ui_load and use the game as your visualiser. Doesn't get any better than that.

Are you for real?!?!

Can you do that in SP?

EDIT:

IIRC you can't edit .pk3 files in use by the game while it's running can you? Or is there a way around that?

You don't have to have things in PK3s, especially when developing. Just run with sv_pure 0

Not sure if the command exists in SP. It probably does, or could be added fairly easily.

??? I know nothing of this. So if I'm in the main menu but sv_pure is 0 the game will read loose files in the folder?

^Yes what? The game will read loose files in the game base/ folder if they're in the proper file structure, as long as that value isn't in the launcher?

Also, I just checked, there's no ui_load command or sv_pure cvar in either the main menu or ingame that I can find while running OpenJK, unless there's an equivalent command Raven has that is maybe named differently in SP?

EDIT: WAIT Wait! I just tried the command anyway, even though it's not listed under cmdlist, and it WORKED, ui_load that is! The sv_pure command is whatevs as we may be able to get around that.

Okay, so the game doesn't seem to be reading loose files and the fs_dirbeforepak seems to be unrecognized in SP. What to do?

My bad. Didn't realise it's not in SP :( In this case, as long you're not replacing an existing menu (one which exists in a PK3), then you can put the menu files in the directory and the game should load them from there.

I am editing existing .menu files though.

I don't need this technically, it'd just be useful. Perhaps OpenJK could add an SP-special cvar for this sort of thing, that tells the game to read loose files with priority or allows you to modify in-use pk3s?

Tip: hit F11 while in a menu, developer 1 and using any debug build of OpenJK. The game will draw lines around every element onscreen and display the exact position of your cursor onscreen.

I've known that for a year, when you posted it somewhere else.