Passing thought

Reading through some of the jkhub posts, one post in particular got me thinking. The post was along the lines of "too bad all the people who can make decent mods are too busy to make anything". This is true in a way. A lot of the experienced modders are now midway through college or are now working professionals. Which brings up another point: all these modders were probably the same age as the majority of the now-non-modders when they first started to learn about modding.

What's stopping the non-modders from learning to mod, especially when there's definitely more tutorials available now compared to a few years ago? Make of this what you will :P

Reading through some of the jkhub posts, one post in particular got me thinking. The post was along the lines of "too bad all the people who can make decent mods are too busy to make anything". This is true in a way. A lot of the experienced modders are now midway through college or are now working professionals.

No. I can't talk for anyone else, but personally I just stopped working. I'm not busy doing something else, I have enough spare time whilst not at uni to do a decent amount of work. I'm just too lazy. That said, changing that will only lead to me being more busy at first because I have to prioritize uni work. But the next priority after that is that big old mod I still haven't finished.

That said, I'm all for new people getting into modding. I'm not so sure about the tutorial situation though - a lot of them have been lost through the ages. But I still plan to remedy that and write more. If this whole "stop being lazy" thing works out, I will.

Stop being lazy.  Sounds like I need a lecture on that.  :D  I'm content to mod slowly even if it takes me years to finish things if necessary, but I do wish I had more time to go a bit faster.  I always wanted to try mapping again, but...meh.  Too lazy.

I think perhaps the answer to your question is just because JKA/JK2 isn't the 'biggest new thing out there'.  As time goes by the game becomes more and more obscure - and its less likely younger folks will find it.

Stoiss likes this

JKG Developer

True. You're all right. Laziness, business, and the motivation is stopping a lot of us.

There have been a crazy amount of new mappers around here lately. That's almost all that's going on in the WIP forum right now.

There were always a lot of requesters, but modders usually outnumbered them (sorta). Now it's the opposite and when someone requests something, everyone jumps on their case and tells them to try it themselves. Which is good and bad. Many people just don't have an interest in modding. They just want to play and had a cool idea that they would like to have. That's alright.

Although some of them lately can be a bit demanding.

Tempust85 likes this

Sometimes laziness is a domino effect. If a few people don't feel like working on a project anymore out of laziness, then the others could be like "well they've stopped, so why should I continue?"

I don't know if it's laziness in particular. A lot of projects are usually built around a strong personality. When that person(s) disappears or quits, there isn't always a person waiting in the shadows to take the reigns. The other members who relied on the one for leadership may indeed just give up and leave the project for dead. A strong will is required to give an idea momentum.  

Circa, Stoiss and Tempust85 like this
  • 3 weeks later...

JKA is old of ten years, is natural for human kind lost interest on a thing about a certain time and follow ever new challenge or new interessing. life is a mutament, a continue transition.

I think that the better way should be to... pass the staff.... expert modder should writing a large amount of tutorials for istruction of the new modders, so a generation of new modder can continue work of lazy modder. otherwise, that's is not definitive. In everytime, everyone can found again the will of take again the modding. :)

I have the some trouble in another forum about Legacy of Kain: an italian community with a narrative role playing game: now we, the old nosgoth's story writers, are too old and lazy and buzy, and the boys have other interess. so we never see new gamers or rolers for continue our task. It's ever more difficult to lead away the community and our number know after ten years is... well, less of a dozens.

So i can understand if someone happen for JKA, because JKA and Defiance have the some ages, and people not like stay forever to the old things, but it's hungry of new experience.

:\