FBX to GLM converter

Yeah because I just checked to be certain and there is no triangulate option in the FBX exporter for Softimage. It's not a super huge deal but would be nice to have your program automatically triangulate models.

I'm mostly wanting this for weapons since Softimage has no trouble going the old fashioned route of character compiling like other 3d packages.

You should do a FBX -> MAP next, that would be awesome.

Okay! New version of the converter is available. Same address as before: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/fbx2ghoul2.zip

This update fixes the normals, as well as some vertex weighting issues. I also added model triangulation, which hasn't been tested, but I'm pretty confident will work. It turned out to be pretty easy to add. As a result, triangulating the model upon exporting the FBX file is now optional :)

The problem described here still exists - I'm still investigating the cause of the problem.

DT. and minilogoguy18 like this

So it looks like the problem with the broken animations was due to me not being able to count to 3. But this problem is now fixed :D

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/fbx2ghoul2.zip

There are now no known problems with the converter, but I want to tidy up and optimize the code a bit more before submitting it to the files section :)

My next plan for this converter is to have it extracting the animation data from the FBX file and then export it as a .GLA file. Once that's done, there's a few tricks I want to try which include potential minor rendering speed improvements, and reduced jitter in exported animations.

ChalklYne, DT. and Archangel35757 like this

As far as I can tell, where the UVW seams meet, the positions and normals are identical for the duplicated vertex, so in-game, you won't notice a split. It goes back to what I said earlier in the topic:

Just because a vertex gets duplicated doesn't mean it has to be different. If you have duplicate vertices with matching normals and texture coordinates then you won't be able to see where they meet  :P

@@Xycaleth

Both of my importers for GLM still have the mesh breaks along the UVW seams.

Are you checking if there are seams by importing the GLM into 3DS max? Usually seams won't appear in your modeling program, but get created by the exporter (i.e. export to XSI or FBX). From what I can guess, it's then up to the importer to remove these seams.

Archangel35757 likes this

Making GLM files more accessible was my plan with this, and was why I chose to go with FBX :)

Btw, has anyone tried converting their FBX file without triangulating the polygons yet? I'd be interested to see how well it works compared to a pre-triangulated model.

How did you run it?

You need to either drag and drop a .fbx model on to the exe, or run it from command line (for the moment). But it has just occurred to me that when you drag and drop, you won't see the error messages that show up in the little window that pops up if there are any errors.