[Mod Request] Additional blasters in JKA:SP

I personally found it strange that in the single player campaigns, the Imperial Officers and the Imperial Miners wield DH-17 blaster pistols in Jedi Outcast, as they should, but wield DL-44 heavy blaster pistols in Jedi Academy instead. Same thing with Boba Fett brandishing an E-11 instead of his modified EE-3 carbine rifle and the Rebel soldiers with the same problem as Boba Fett instead of their DH-17 blaster rifles (or the DH-17 blaster carbine), etc. With the Full Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast Source Codes Released, would it be possible to make these changes to Jedi Academy (and possibly Jedi Outcast as well), and without replacing the DL-44 and the E-11? Of course, this would only be a cosmetic mod as the player can't pick them up…or not. I tried to do this myself (albeit, before the full release of the source code, i.e.: way over a year ago) by editing the weapons.dat file (using the JO default DH-17 blaster pistol model and Inyri Forge's EE-3 carbine rifle model), as well as editing the Boba Fett and Imperial Officer npc files, but to no avail.

So, this is a request, of course.

DH-17 blaster pistol:
Dh-17.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DH-17_blaster_pistol
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DH-17_carbine

DH-17 blaster rifle:
DH-17-BFOS.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DH-17_blaster_rifle

EE-3 carbine rifle:
EE3-SWE.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/EE-3_carbine_rifle

In addition, kind of a seperate rquest, but perhaps an AI update with the Gran class that if it has a weapon, and you pull that weapon away, they switch to melee. They don't normally do this by the way, basically doing the whole running away looking for a weapon or surrendering after pulling their weapon away, while the melee grans, while unarmed anyway, use melee (as programed). I found this out when I edited a Gran's npc file (or a character with a gran class AI) to have both a weapon and melee as weapons, the Gran will always favor using melee instead of using a weapon. (Perhaps for OpenJK…?)

Bek likes this

I recommend using a better DH-17 than the JO one. There's a pretty good one that comes with MovieBattles. I doubt the JO pistol is even a DH-17 (it certainly looks nothing like it).

Plus, you can do this without coding as long as you do not mind replacing other weapons. I replaced the Imperial Heavy Repeater with the E-11 so I could replace the default E-11 with the DH-17. I also replaced the bowcaster with the EE-3. I then changed the .npc files to make these replacements work. I even replaced the Tusken Rifle with the A280 blaster rifle, just to give the rebels a variety of weapons.

Well, that's the thing though. With the Full source code released, which you can pretty much do anything with it (supposedly), I imagine as long as it's within the engine's limites, one shouldn't have to replace weapons anymore. With some coding, we should, in theory, add in more weapons now.

This was discussed on another thread. I forget what it was called and I can't seem to find it, but if I remember correctly JK Galaxies uses files like .sab files to create new guns. Unfortunately it would take a while to add this system to the base game, and all the best coders are busy with OpenJK . If they were able to add this to base Jedi Academy, I would be overjoyed.

Until then, maybe this thread could be used simply for weapon model requests?

This is the thread in quetion: http://jkhub.org/topic/2085-something-like-sab-files-for/

I'm REALLY hoping that the coders give this some thought once they are happy with how OpenJK turns out. I'm more than willing to let them keep up with all their great work on OJK. I'd hate for them to be constantly busy with people asking for requests to add things to the game.

Imagine what it would have been like if each saber required code before it could be put in game? Heck just look at how many people don't add SP menu support to the sabers they release.

The second issue is that while MP can display additional saber mods while SP cannot. Not without someone combining the multiple packs.

A system that could add all these new functions would be difficult to make, I understand. I just think the effort to make it in the beginning would pay off in spades with the mods people could add.

Mandalorian and BigChoi like this

I would just like to be able to wield dual weapons, period. Now that the source code has been released, that should be possible, to wield two of whatever weapons you want. For instance, two pistols.

I do have a question about how you'd want to implement something like this?  Mouse1 is left pistol, mouse2 is right pistol?  Firing modes to change between chain fire/all fire?

JKG Developer

Take a look at Gunslinger's Academy and how it did WP_AUXILIARY1 etc. It effectively did 32 weapons, via engine hacks. Drop the hacks and replace 'em with legit engine modifications. [This might be optional once you complete the modifications to weapons_t, unsure]

Gunslinger's source would be located here:

http://github.com/eezstreet/GunslingersAcademy

Bonus points if you implement the weapons.txt system in place of the crappy weapons.dat system

My view on my request is simply this: cloning without replacing for a start. The additional weapons would simply be clones of the original weapons currently in the game for a start, basically, for simplicity, and without having to replace the originals.

The DH-17 blaster pistol would be a clone of the DL-44 heavy blaster pistol (same function, different model) while the The DH-17 carbine, the DH-17 blaster rifle, and the EE-3 carbine rifle would just be a clone of the E-11 (once again, same function, different models).

Once this is implemented, then one could worry about giving them different functions to separate them from the originals if they feel like it. It's all a matter of choice for whom ever takes up the request, well, IF someone decides to take it up. If not, that would be a shame.

I'm getting a 404 error, page not found with that link.