Utility request: Softimage plugins

As some may have read in another thread I expressed great interest in possibly having a SIMPLE .glm importer, I don't really care about bones and weights tbh but if it's not too much then it's a plus. Also, a .md3 import/export as well as .qc file generator similar to Milkshape's. It would be a huge help to me and the few who are using the program, mainly for weapon and map object creation.

I can supply the source code if necesarry, if I remember right Mr. Wonko is hosting it on his site, I'd also be willing to dedicate all the time possible in terms of testing and maybe even trying to learn a thing or 2 about coding.

Softimage does not use it's own scripting language, it's all standard stuff (VB script, Python) unlike Max and Maya who have thier own.

Maybe I can even do something in return for the coder who considers it...

• 3 weeks later...

Blender is really good, I've been testing it. It still no match for Softimage, but it's on par with Maya and Max as far as modeling tools concern. Getting exporters for the of the 3d formats used in JO/JA would be a big step forward.

I was trying to get them working in Max using the blur python script language add-on, but after having a look in the scripts I saw the plugins have Blender-specific functions which halted me. So someone would need to replace them with the softimage equivelant.

• 8 months later...

I guess that's another option to look at, would be really cool if I could have something though that had like a simple dialogue box with simple options like export selected and generate control file similar to Milkshape since the .qc file seems to keep the md3 from exporting without the correct texture paths.

@@eezstreet, got any python resources that could maybe help me port over the old blender python script? Would have just hit you up on steam but it just shit the bed for some reason.

Mod Tool would be the main one I think it should definitely be compatible with since it's free and can do everything you need and more for game modding.

The best option would be a .xsiaddon so that it could be packaged up and installed with ease.

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/sdkdocs/cus_addons_WalkthroughBuildinganAddon.htm

https://codingforxsi.wordpress.com/tag/xsiaddon/

http://darkvertex.com/wp/2012/05/30/parse-xsiaddons-in-python/

Seems that it could be written in Python but it seems that just like what @@DT85 tried with max that you have to go through all of it and change around things that would point to blender code or command and rewrite it for Softimage. I don't see any problem with porting wonko's md3 plugin since it's just a fixed up version of another one that is out there.

Those links are just some reference just in case you wanted to skim through it.

The .xsiaddon is basically just an installer, it isn't really necessary.

I'm honestly not worried too much about .glm other than maybe a simple importer much like the older 3ds max importers since I'm not trying to rip off other peoples models, I just want to be able to export map objects and weapons. Weapons which can be converted from md3 to glm via Md3View.