Utility request: Softimage plugins

@@DT85: please ensure that the UVs are correct on the model

note that positioning is fucked up, as i mentioned this is due to me not parsing the animation yet

the UVs ought to be correct however

md3view_fbx3.png

this is the top of the table, occluded by what looks to be one of the legs of the table

If the UVs don't match please post a picture of what the top of the table should look like

@@DT85 yes probably. a better idea would be your first person hands in FBX format, non animated, single frame as they have very defined texture areas on them and that makes it easy to detect glitches in the UVs if they exist

however I also found a good model for testing purposes. It's tris/quads combination, not sure if that's responsible for texture fuckery on it but I NEEDED TO DELIVER A MESSAGE DAMN IT

md3view_fbx5.png

and it only took 4k verts to find the proper receptacle!?

DT. likes this

I've fixed the positioning of the fists, but the UVs are still messed up and I'm not sure why.

md3view_fbx8.png

I really can't do much more with this until someone more knowledgeable like @@Xycaleth or @@mrwonko can take a look at it. I've also encountered an issue where MD3View will sometimes completely fail to export a MD3, causing it to write to the hard drive over and over until the hard drive runs out of space (!) and the program crashes. I'll examine that in a little bit.

I would like to merge MD3View into ModView at some point, and make ModView capable of exporting FBX, MD3, and GLM.

In the meantime, I'll be putting the code up on GitHub and working on some other projects until I can get this figured out.

Github link:

http://github.com/eezstreet/MD3View

I've also encountered an issue where MD3View will sometimes completely fail to export a MD3, causing it to write to the hard drive over and over until the hard drive runs out of space (!)

0_0

That can be used for SO much evil XD

In the meantime, I'll be putting the code up on GitHub 

8b0f.gif

DT. likes this

I don't know how exactly I can be of more help, I don't think an FBX from Softimage would be that much different than 3ds Max.

I don't really have anything on this laptop, out of town for the week.

Merging ModView and Md3View into one program sounds like a pretty good idea but maybe after the FBX importing issues are solved first since ModView would probably need a lot of work to be able to process things like vertex animations.

@@eezstreet

Found the issue with this. It requires every model to be split along the UVW seam edges, probably something to do with rendering MD3's as the MD3 format makes these splits and the FBX format doesn't.

Also, can you please change it from Z axis up to Y axis up?

That's not something I can really fix unfortunately, I assume that's not a big deal for modellers?

Also, Z axis up is an OpenGL thing, Y axis being up is a DirectX thing. Won't change.

Y- as the front matches up with Max's front view. When I export a Y up axis FBX, Y- becomes Z+. Because Max users have the option to export either Y or Z up, would be better to have FBX loaded as Y up. You'll probably have to do an axis conversion when creating a MD3 from an FBX though.