Utility request: Softimage plugins

Yeah, having MD3View or ModView serve as a two-way import/export for FBX would be the best option tbh. FBX seems to be the most common format out there, and ModView and MD3View both need the raw vertex data, so it'd be a simple matter of translating these vertices into the FBX format. I think, anyway.

Well if that works then it should be good enough, that way I guess it could either save as md3 or glm depending whether you're making a map object or a weapon.

Yeah, I don't know much about ModView. I don't think it actually exports to GLM, but I know that MD3View does.

I think @@Xycaleth's FBX importer is program-agnostic is it not? Should convert FBX->GLM. A modified ModView would be nice to convert GLM->FBX, and then a modified MD3View could import FBX. So...two steps total, and everything would be program-agnostic.

Bad ass, lmk if you need any test models, I will be leaving town Sunday though and wont be back until Friday.

I'd actually try and work on exporting, rather than importing. So if anything, I'd need anyone to check out whatever the program spits out, based on something simple like Kyle. That's supposing I get anywhere though. :P

The md3View program can save md3 models as GLM, what DT is saying would be best, to program md3view to open FBX files so that they could be saved as MD3.

In short I really just want some way to go from Softimage->MD3, don't really care about GLM since people who rip or frankenstein models find a GLM importer useful.

The way the MD3 exporter for Max works is, you apply the texture to the mesh that has a path X:\blah\blah\blah\models\blah\model.md3. The exporter detects the 'models' part and removes everything before it and you're left with what I've highlighted in bold.

I'll send you an FBX to test with.

I can probably fix the relpath issue now that I think about it.

I'll need an FBX, but here are some restrictions:

- Cannot use quads, only tris

- UVing has to be done either in "ByControlPoint" or "ByPolygonVertex"

- TGA/JPG/PNG textures only

- One material per object (might be fixable but not sure yet)

- Only diffuse material is accepted

I don't think MD3 or GLM support more than 1 material per object, probably safe to say that only 1 should be used.

Yeah, as I understand it most of these limits are also in the game as well (with the exception of -i think- everything being in tris, and obviously the UV method)

No idea what "ByControlPoint" or "ByPolygonVertex" is, but I don't do anything weird when making UVW maps so it should be fine. The model was built in quads, but I exported it with the triangulation option checked. This also has an animation, may or may not work as I haven't done vertex animation in a very long time. I animated the actual mesh objects, one table leg should be on top of the table and the other should be moved to the centre of the table. Animation is only 10 frames. The format is FBX 2013 ASCII, Z axis up.

Included is the folder structure & texture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylv5c0s1bg0k6ak/table%20fbx.zip

No idea what "ByControlPoint" or "ByPolygonVertex" is, but I don't do anything weird when making UVW maps so it should be fine. The model was built in quads, but I exported it with the triangulation option checked. This also has an animation, may or may not work as I haven't done vertex animation in a very long time. I animated the actual mesh objects, one table leg should be on top of the table and the other should be moved to the centre of the table. Animation is only 10 frames. The format is FBX 2013 ASCII, Z axis up.

Included is the folder structure & texture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylv5c0s1bg0k6ak/table%20fbx.zip

could you provide a screenshot as to how its supposed to look?

also i haven't added anything in terms of animation yet so it's guaranteed to look messed up