Aquatic Monster Models

Hmm, I got the Colo Claw Fish fully functioning now, but I still need to get sounds for him... This is going to be the hard part. I will probably end up having to find Star Wars Episode 1 online somewhere, and fast forward to the underwater scene, then record the audio directly from the system sounds ( so that there is no background interference ) and then convert the sounds to the proper format and overwrite all of the howler sounds in the mod.

A few Hours Later...

Sounds are good to go, this will work for now. The only other thing that I can think to add, would be some kind of custom shader to make it glow slightly in certain areas, like in the pic below

I would have offered to record the sounds, but I'm glad you got them! This is looking great!

Is there a "length" value as well?  That would be useful considering the shape of this model...

I think there might be. You can try that but then again it's up to the model itself. That and the scale line.

I would have offered to record the sounds, but I'm glad you got them! This is looking great!

Well, I recorded every sound that the Colo fish made in Star Wars episode I, but the background music (and some of Jar Jar's squealing) interfered with the sound files.  I did the best that I could to try and cut out those background noises, but you can still hear them from in game.

If you are still willing to record the sounds, I would like to compare your recordings to mine, and use the ones of the best quality.

You could also just use some sounds from the game like the rancor or wampa and manipulate them to make them sound a little different. I'll see what I can do.

The rancor sounds are extremely similar to the Colo sounds!

If you need some help texturing the teeth, here's a good screencap.

iPXpJIU6x5ylR.jpg

ChalklYne likes this

Well, I think that everything is good with the Colo for now, but I still need at least one other model of a creature to inhabit my map.  (You know, so that it's not just Colos everywhere...)

Other models don't necessarily have to be of the creatures that I gave reference pictures for, and any models don't have to be super complex or anything like that.

It can even be as simple as a Gooberfish (shown below)

Gooberfish.jpg

im re-rigging the colo now and wth ill fix an anim or two make him legit for ya did u already do a shader?

I tried to do the shaders, but for some reason it made the entire model glow brightly, and the teeth became a dark grey, I am going to need some help with that...

im in the process of reanimating the colo claw fish. rigging something on the side for someone too, but its only 694 frames i do about 75 frames in a sitting... just fixing his anims a bit i wanted to rig the fish's "claws" to the howlers arms... so i could make em sway with the "water" and stuff... especially cuz its only 694 frames i could just reanimate the whole thing... and since im only like 150 frames into it i was debating starting over with the claws... but i really hate moving bones in world space while animating cuz it gets weird but ive done it before and it turned out actually quite good so yeah... this paragraph has convinced me, im starting over with his anims and hes gunna be pretty sick all things considered. good looking out on that research ashura im stoked to see if it helps

Circa likes this

I was attacked by this thing at the Star Tours ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios, twice. I'm going to sue that travel agency. Now, seriously, it's looking fairly good and I bet it will look much better once you get it textured (or perhaps you already did and I missed the screenshots). Nice work. If I had the time I would model so much stuff =(.

Circa and therfiles like this

I thought about some real criticism I could make. Based on your modeling skills, which I can tell by what you have already done, I think you could easily model some more detail into the model. More accurate claws, the teeth actually coming out from outside the lips and not from inside the mouth, the lateral line needs some extrusion and folding not just a hard edge. Again, you can stick with what you accomplished right now, but if you were able to get that far you can take it a step further. I will gladly do a draw over to explain more graphically what I mean.

Darth_Bothersome likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

I made several shader attempts, but for some reason when I make a shader, it doesn't actually "save" it as a usable texture.  I tried editing the default skin file and made each texture have a shader, but the shaders didn't work, they just made him fully bright, with dark grey teeth.  I haven't tried animating him yet because I have been too busy with my other mapping projects.