The JKHUB pass me around?

I thought it was just going to be a pass me around where each person build heir own room?

Well, yes. And no. Basically, previous pass me arounds have had only a very general theme, like "egyptian-ish ruins" or, "area on nar shaddaa", where one person started building something, and others added rooms and improved upon the stuff already there, trying to remove as little of other mappers' work as possible, just add to/improve upon it. Of course, a pass me around without any theme whatsoever would probably be too random: it would be kind of lame if I'd build a nar shaddaa room, the next guy would link it to a jedi temple room, etc. There HAS to be a very general unifying theme to this all to work, just to make everything fit together and to have some idea on the style that's going to be involved. The idea is to combine all of the participants' skill and interpretations on this theme to create something awesome, where one mappers' inspiration might lead to anothers' inspiration or creativity. Once you get the map for a week (or two weeks, though not consecutive, depending on the speed/size), you can do anything you want with it, as long as it adds to/improves upon what's there.

As I stated in my previous post, there are two options: either, as before, a very general theme, or a freestyle interpretation of an already existing level, giving a bit more structure to possible ideas, but lessening creativity to a certain extent. I'm sure many of you would prefer the first one (I'm good with either) and I was merely proposing some ideas, which might have been too specific already. A general theme would be "dromund kaas temple" or "nar shaddaa site", "abandoned ruins (on...)", (or anything non- SW related of course), "secret base on hoth", "room built in doom 3 style", "moon base" etc. My own ideas were just random things which I'd love to see happen at some point, and I think it would be great if others had ideas on themes/things they'd want to see built in a jka map as well. Perhaps something you've always wanted to do but never got around to, or a theme which inspired you, an area you once visited, whatever. Can basically be anything. Everyone (also non-mappers) are welcome to insert some original ideas!

edit: @@Szico VII you might want to DL landing zone 17, the first PMA, and read the mappers' log that's included to get an idea on how such a thing works, and how others are basically inspired by what's already there. To be honest, I can't remember exactly how we got to decide the first and second PMA's theme, but I think it was a vote after some people proposed some themes. (Either that, or @@Pande dictator'ed, but I think vote)

@@Milamber, sure thing!

also, if @@mrwonko's version is recent enough, continuing the already existing PMA2 is of course still on the table as an option. I'd love to see the file and some screenshots.

I may be a little late to the party, but I could potentially help out with some of the mapping. I'm no where near as good as most of the other mappers in this thread, but i could most likely contribute something or other.

I may be a little late to the party, but I could potentially help out with some of the mapping. I'm no where near as good as most of the other mappers in this thread, but i could most likely contribute something or other.

Liar. No need for false modesty here :P

And you're not late, we're still in the brainstorming phase. Any suggestions, theme-wise? I'll add you to the list.

Liar. No need for false modesty here :P

No really, these people make me feel insecure about my mapping skill levels xD

Any suggestions, theme-wise? I'll add you to the list.

Theme wise, A Yavin/academy map is always easy, but done to death these days so probably one to steer clear of. London streets/cathedral stuff sounds interesting if tricky to make. As for a SW location, I honestly can't think of anything less interesting to make xD. I think whatever we go with, it should be completely original, to leave room for people to use their imagination.

True. For any SW related location, I was mainly thinking of some locations (aside from those I mentioned, true) that aren't really in the movies or anything, but perhaps have a concept picture or two so we have some idea of a style to start on and freewheel from there. Come to think of it, I doubt "cathedral" is a truly interesting theme as well.

Edit: I just came across an older thread on jkhub by @@Polterninja34 who apparently had an idea similar to this. Feel free to join. @@Delta_135 also expressed some interest there. Same story :)

edit: I actually stand corrected. We DID start with a theme for the 2nd PMA, but not for the first. The first PMA just started as an untextured box, someone created something in it, and we went from there. We could do either of these approaches actually. Anyone feeling adventurous enough to create a very rough random design and start a style, so to speak?

Also, whatever we do, I suggest we do keep the map small, so we have enough time to work on details.

edit: I accidentally removed a part of my post which wonko later quoted. Sorry! :P

Polterninja34 likes this
Fair enough. We'll start fresh then I guess, although I'd still love to receive wonko's version to see how far along that was. I might finish that one myself at a later stage.
Sure thing. Image, my version. Might actually be the latest version.

So, themes then. Any suggestions? I think we first need to decide whether we're going to do a sort of "recreation" thing, or a more "freestyle" kind of thing. I'm in for both.
Personally, I'm currently playing Dark Souls and love its world. I'd love to model something that tightly packed and with so much verticality, but this is probably not the place for that.

Another thought: Anybody know Blame (the Manga)? Very cool Sci-Fi architecture in there.

Yet another one: Cyberpunk. Think Hard Reset, for example.

-A proper cathedral. I still believe JKA has NO proper level with a cool cathedral that has both the outside and inside done with nice patches and stuff. I'm thinking for a sort of "london streets" theme here, recreating perhaps a cool cathedral from inside and outside, with a few of the surrounding buildings. This might limit creativity due to a too strong theme, though
Cathedrals rock. Been to the one in Cologne a couple of times. Very impressive. Love Gothic architecture. See also this or this.

-I always love ruined/abandoned places. I'm thinking Chernobyl/ fallout kind of locations here. However, perhaps this might inspire a too square soviet-ish building style, although this might pose an interesting challenge for variation.
Yet another interesting idea.

And @@mrwonko, yeah we definitely should do some sorta ultimate playermodel pass-around. But a blender > radiant pass around would also be badass. I'll likely be doing that in a pass-me-around anyway though, since I've been making good use of your patch converter :D
Playermodel, huh? Hadn't really thought about that. There sure is potential for some great player models. Or vehicles. Or whatever.

-a map inspired by one of the locations in the myst (I to V) series perhaps? Not a remake, of course, but any of the (usually) small myst worlds (=ages) could serve as inspiration for us to start a theme.
Agreed, Myst has beautiful environments.

-a LOTR inspired location? Again, nothing that's in the movies, but perhaps something that's being referenced?
'nuff said.

Hmm, that shader needs some work, didn't remember it being THAT incredibly dark :P

But yeah, agreed. Perhaps we really need to start anew and have something that's truly 'our' work. 

Could you provide some more screenshots of a cyberpunk related theme? I think I kind of like it, but I'm not too familiar with it, and I keep finding quite varied screenshots. Perhaps steampunk is a decent related concept? 

And yes, gotta love LOTR styled stuff. But minas tirith might be too much of a "this is what we're gonna do and how we"re gonna do it" kind of thing. I love something like this, though https://jkhub.org/albums/LkCt1 (mind you, the link is wrong. Look for #9) a sort of a LOTR style haven/port/river kind of thing or whatever.

edit: perhaps a combination of some of these. This is some concept art (never ingame) of a myst world named Takotah, I think. It's a combination of 'myst', 'cathedral', with a touch of more futuristic/shiny/steampunk-ish stuff, and perhaps even an option to combine it with some more lotr-like gothic architecture, thus creating not a true cathedral, but still something related to it in style. Perhaps an interesting direction? https://jkhub.org/images/REaNO.jpg

Or we could combine other styles, e.g. "steampunk" and "lotr" or "myst" and "star wars" or whatever.

Seconded! I am currently (since a few weeks) quite the game of thrones addict (watched season 1 in one day). A massive upvote for anything inspired by game of thrones. If we're doing something eyrie-inspired, I totally want a feature where players would voluntarily launch themselves into the keep's central death pit just to enjoy the skybox/sights. But I digress. :P

What I am worried about is the scale of such a project, though. As long as the level is relatively small, we can spend more time on detailing, but keep the total amount of time spent on mapping at a relatively low level. Not that I'm against a larger scale map by any means, but we do have to consider the implications of scale here.

Same for fallout, although you might have to give some examples of 'escape from butcher bay' theming. 

Noted! @@Silverfang I'll add you to the list.

@@Inyri, Because you have actually released a map. I know you're extremely criticial of your mapping skills, but I'm confident that given the practice, your maps would've become at least as good as your models. Care for a one-week refresher course, perhaps? ;)

I think the best thing to do is get some more theme suggestions by the participants, so most people are happy with it once we start. I suggest we put it up for vote once most people have replied. The major themes until now (massively summarized):

-ruined/fallout/USSR kind of thing (+escape from butcher bay)

-more archy/curvy/fantasy(lotr/GOT/myst, whatever) kind of style, with the possibility of some futuristic touches

-cyberpunk, although this would require some more screenshots

We can always combine these themes if nothing else, e.g. a curvy/gothic sort of building in a futuristic wasteland.

There's more on jkfiles, but that's another story. The review of her map mentioned Nozy being defrosted. Perhaps 'cryogenics', i.e literally the study of how stuff behaves at very low temperatures, but in our case also stuff like freezing people and bringing them back to life afterwards (or whatever our interpretation of that theme might be) is also a decent suggestion? 

Im all in favour for chapels, churches and gothic castles

and Ironiclly, the Haunted Graveyard Map I made, was originally designed to be a zombie survival map, it was designed in a way for mobs to spawn out of player sight, so it seemed like an endless horde (I took notes from the directors commentary in left 4 Dead)

I'm not sure we are quite ready for a vote yet, can people post reference photos that they like and we can pick using those? That way, we all have the same image in our mind when we say "Archy/curvy/fantasy" instead of dozens. Then, Exonimus can use those photos to do a vote then we can start preproduction!

Cathedrals rock. Been to the one in Cologne a couple of times. Very impressive. Love Gothic architecture. See also this or this.

Playermodel, huh? Hadn't really thought about that. There sure is potential for some great player models. Or vehicles. Or whatever.

I love the idea of a map in the style similar to those 2 screens

And I pointed out the playermodel idea on post #4 :<

pay_attention_to_me_button-p145492772246

Pande likes this

I'm actually also really digging those cyberpunk pics. I'm just unsure whether the Q3 engine could render amazing gothic style buildings. I know it's really good for more darker, futuristic/(apparently) cyberpunk kind of styles, as they rather resemble the more nar shaddaa/coruscant kind of style in jka. That is, dark, high buildings, lots of glowy stuff. Those cyberpunk pics also remind me of @@Szico VII's Neotokyo for some reason. Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoQC0QwYgM4

I've actually seen the first of those inspirational images before somewhere. I actually made a start recreating that room years ago, but lost the file xD

@@Inyri, Because you have actually released a map. I know you're extremely criticial of your mapping skills, but I'm confident that given the practice, your maps would've become at least as good as your models. Care for a one-week refresher course, perhaps? ;)

I did try mapping a couple of times but I just felt too limited by radiant to do what I really wanted so I never got into it. Figured it was better to focus on what I was good at and what I enjoyed. ;)

I did try mapping a couple of times but I just felt too limited by radiant to do what I really wanted so I never got into it. Figured it was better to focus on what I was good at and what I enjoyed. ;)

And we're all grateful for it. I, on the other hand, am at the frustrating point where I can basically figure out a way to do almost anything I please, but I'm severely limited by my own lack of creativity and imagination. How's that for a barrier?  :(

Anyway. In response to cyberpunk again. I blatantly ripped this from wikipedia:

"Cyberpunk is a postmodern science fiction genre noted for its focus on "high tech and low life (..) It features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order. Cyberpunk plots often center on a conflict among hackers, artificial intelligences, and megacorporations, and tend to be set in a near-future Earth, rather than the far-future settings or galactic vistas (...)The settings are usually post-industrial dystopias but tend to be marked by extraordinary cultural ferment and the use of technology in ways never anticipated by its creators "

Thus, my comparison of nar shaddaa was not that far off: It's basically postmodern (dystopian) earth, lots of technology and glow, but combined with strange technology used in massively creative ways. This means us mappers (and you modelers!) can go all out in being creative and thinking up new uses for old (and new) stuff. In addition, the theme will probably be city-based, as this is where the magic happens anyway. We could even make a sort of deal where each mapper starts at least one new building with an original purpose or whatever.

edit: we could even be more specific and choose a specific city to have some more inspiration and ideas for a building style, since we'd be able to compare to the city in our current and (previous) era's, and move from there. We'd basically ask ourselves the question "how would this city (e.g. Amsterdam. Sue me, I'm Dutch) look in a futuristic, dystopian world?" "What are its defining features, and what would still be left of it in such an era?" etc.

Did I get it about right, wonko?

@@TwinHits, agreed. We'll wait for some more input and themes, and I'd be happy to post reference shots once we get to the voting part. I'm still undecided, but I might well vote for this theme (instead of GOT) as aside from being a game of thrones fan, dystopia's are truly my cup of tea. 1984, brave new world, and the likes.

I've actually seen the first of those inspirational images before somewhere. I actually made a start recreating that room years ago, but lost the file xD
I think that's a concept for one of the Sands of Time trilogy Prince of Persia games, would make sense since Raphael Lacoste (who did that image) was the Art Director. Some of the other images are by Feng Zhu who apparently did some more great stuff since then, might be worth checking that out as well.

And that's just fine, since Q3Map2 supports models just fine. Create some cool stuff whichever way you like and we'll be able to incorporate it.