New Republic Security Droid Type 1

4 hours ago, ZanderNao said:

Given that there's a prison ship map in the works, this would make a good companion piece for sure.
The picture for your kitbash idea is a good texture match, but I haven't seen a model with those colors. Just the grey version of HK?
Still, a very good idea over all!

I'm not certain that color HK model exists - it just happened to show up when I was searching for images of the Security Droid.   

I believe someone was making the comparison between the two models, or indicating they were produced by the same manufacturer.

19 hours ago, Noodle said:

If you have more reference pics laying around, please do post them since it makes a modeler's work much easier. 

How about a whole video detailing the droids?

Also highlights the Type 2 droid, which they say was based of the R1 model from a New Hope.  Perhaps a modeler could make a 2 models for the price of one - both the Episode 4 and Mandalorian version are very similar. 

HUM-3154 likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • Lancelot changed the title to New Republic Security Droid Type 1
  • 1 month later...

Found this page about the creation of the droids, by the studio that did the special effects work.   

It has sliders that you can move from right to left where you can see the basic grey 3d modelled droids,  or move the slider to the right and you can see the final textured product.

Might be helpful to any prospective modeller.

https://image-engine.com/case-studies/the-mandalorian-season-1/

Also, a video of their special effects work from season one.    The droid footage begins around 3:28.

https://image-engine.com/portfolio/the-mandalorian-season-1/

Very interesting just to see the production process.

FCR-2320_plate.jpg

I commissioned a 3D model maker to create the droid so that it could be rigged into game, but I haven't heard anything in a couple weeks and have no progress pictures yet. It's the same artist I had create the heads for the different R-series astromechs and the Pyke Pack.

fullkevlar likes this
58 minutes ago, ZanderNao said:

I commissioned a 3D model maker to create the droid so that it could be rigged into game, but I haven't heard anything in a couple weeks and have no progress pictures yet. It's the same artist I had create the heads for the different R-series astromechs and the Pyke Pack.

!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats amazing and completely unexpected news!        

Now ill have to put every extra effort to make the Prison ship map top notch!    I shall redouble my efforts!

1 hour ago, fullkevlar said:

!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats amazing and completely unexpected news!        

Now ill have to put every extra effort to make the Prison ship map top notch!    I shall redouble my efforts!

I'll share pictures as soon as I have any, lol

fullkevlar likes this
20 minutes ago, ZanderNao said:

I'll share pictures as soon as I have any, lol

Im going to have to sneak your name in Aurebesh onto the map somewhere as a tribute!    Maybe on a control room monitor?

2 minutes ago, fullkevlar said:

Im going to have to sneak your name in Aurebesh onto the map somewhere as a tribute!    Maybe on a control room monitor?

If you do, how about Ryo Vela? He's my main character from my films. That'd be a fun tribute!

fullkevlar likes this
On 2/8/2021 at 1:33 PM, ZanderNao said:

If you do, how about Ryo Vela? He's my main character from my films. That'd be a fun tribute!

Yes of course,  going to the trouble of commissioning a model,  you can have whatever you want!    

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the first update from Phazzzer, the 3D artist I commissioned on CGTrader. https://www.cgtrader.com/phazzzer

Step 1: A rough draft first past for basic geometry (we're here at this point)

Step 2: Correct proportions and add lots of detail
Step 3: Use high detail to bake uv/textures
Step 4: Reduce poly down to Jedi Academy limits
Step 5: Hand the model over for conversion to exist in Jedi Academy
Step 6: I'll make reskins and color variants for the lulz
Step 7: Release!

security_droid_01.jpg

security_droid_02.jpg

Lancelot, fullkevlar and ooeJack like this

Unbelievably good.  This will be a great model addition!

For skinning inspiration, there are two variants shown in the show - the gunmetal guy shown on the ship, and a darker oxidized/corroded version in the chop fields where they are overseeing the prisoners.

c3bd2ab0c156eec25cb8bbd8bd7c790a.jpg

Scrapyard-Security-droid-in-The-Mandalor

Eventually, I would like to make an attempt at making the other characters from the prison ship episode.   And then subsequently, make a few other maps from the series, with cool content like this (if I get permissions) as a springboard to other locations shown in the series.

The prisoner chopfields/junk planet would be a fun offshoot with this character - maybe make a prison riot situation, droids vs prisoners trying to escape.

Very cool model.   If you can't tell, seeing the model photo made my morning.

55 minutes ago, ZanderNao said:

Also, I should ask that the 3D artist took interest in asking about what kind of weapon the droid uses so I provided picture reference and links...

Nice!    Did you include the stun baton?

2 hours ago, ZanderNao said:

The chopfields would be really, really cool for a duel map or something! I love the way you think, great inspiration.

The thing I find appealing about the Mandalorian as mod project material is that a lot of the battles and set pieces are smaller scale skirmishes.  There are a ton of locations that I would like to take a stab at creating.   I thought I would have a map or two done by now,  though my new year has been exhausting - any available hour to work on the map project ive been so drained that I could not muster much effort or clear minded inspiration.      It will be completed, things have just been delayed slightly.    

Though the experience has made me really appreciate all of the effort other people have put into making models, maps, and content.    Its fun, but also a good bit of work!

Really looking forward to this droid model project!

This one was $250. The droid heads ranged from $100-150 depending on if we were re-using parts from previous models (r2 eyes, dome already there, etc). I don't drink, no one's going out to the movies or anything... Film making is my main hobby and so the investment seems worth it to me. It brings me joy imagining the different stories that I can tell even if I have to wait for the pandemic to be over to make the movies with my film group the way I'm used to doing.

Here's a slight update with corrected proportions and the start on a little bit of the detail work. The 3D artist will also be taking on the
GH-17 blaster on his own free will, so that's an added bonus. Keep in mind that we'll see higher poly/vertex count models in the progress compared to what will show up in Jedi Academy. It's part of what makes the textures look so good but still get it into an older game. I've encouraged the artist to share my commissions publicly because I'm sure there are more Star Wars fans than just in Jedi Academy, lol.

spacer.png

Edited by ZanderNao
Picture change
Cor and fullkevlar like this
  • 2 weeks later...