A technical point of view for damage of Unstable Lightsabers

Go to solution Solved by Xeby,

A technical point of view for damage of Unstable Lightsabers.

YUfQt48.jpg

So.. after i decided to update my unstable lightsaber for my mod, i modify the damage of unstable lightsaber to 0.7 instead of 1.
Because its a unstable lightsaber, the cuting power should be less than a stable lightsaber. What you guys think about this? 
Should be a standard damage (0.7 or less) for all unstable lightsabers out there ?
:)

Yeah, I really think if it's unstable, it's more powerful.

Think of it as an atomic bomb. If it's stable, so it's relatively fine and it's controlled in power. If it's unstable, then it's way more dangerous and can spurt out bursts of energy resulting in way more damage.

General Howard likes this

Can't be more powerful.. because is not focused like a stable lightsaber.. (we are talking about plasma weapons not bombs.. lol.. xD) so i will make the value 0.7 or 0.6 damage as standard for unstable lightsabers.

the_raven likes this

Can't be more powerful.. because is not focused like a stable lightsaber.. (we are talking about plasma weapons not bombs.. lol.. xD) so i will make the value 0.7 or 0.6 damage as standard for unstable lightsabers.

Let me drop this here:

Kylo Ren's lightsaber was a crossguard lightsaber constructed sometime before or during the year 34 ABY by Kylo Ren, Supreme Leader of the First Order and master of the Knights of Ren. The lightsaber, based on an ancient design dating back to the Great Scourge of Malachor, contained a cracked Kyber crystal, requiring it to have lateral vents on either side of the handle in order to divert the extra heat generated by the crystal.

Source:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren%27s_lightsaber

It seems that kylos unstable blade is not unstable due to a lack of power or a "bad" focusing system but instead due to an overexcess of power which can not be contained and confined to the highly compressed state of a regular lightsaber blade.

It lashes out like a raging fire.

It does not just fuck up whats hit by the main core of the blade but also wrecks whatever is hit by the random sparks around the blade.

Therefore I would up the damage or keep it the same as with regular sabers.

Let me drop this here:

Source:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren%27s_lightsaber

It seems that kylos unstable blade is not unstable due to a lack of power or a "bad" focusing system but instead due to an overexcess of power which can not be contained and confined to the highly compressed state of a regular lightsaber blade.

It lashes out like a raging fire.

It does not just fuck up whats hit by the main core of the blade but also wrecks whatever is hit by the random sparks around the blade.

Therefore I would up the damage or keep it the same as with regular sabers.

This is a weird explanation.. especially when...  i quote "contained a cracked Kyber crystal" ... LOL

This is a weird explanation.. especially when...  i quote "contained a cracked Kyber crystal" ... LOL

Nah it's not really strange if you think about it - the explanation is quite logical. A cracked kyber crystal would not transfer the power as neatly as a solid one, it'd lash out, free the heat through the crack - thus making it overheat. Throw a couple of vents in there to divert that extra heat et voila. And now with that said, since the extra heat is being diverted in Kylo's saber, I'd keep the damage the same at damageScale 1.0 - if it was on a saber without vents, however, going by this logic, it'd be safe to assume that it has to be a bit stronger (hotter so well yeah more cutting power -> stronger) than the regular everyday saber.

General Howard and the_raven like this

Nah it's not really strange if you think about it - the explanation is quite logical. A cracked kyber crystal would not transfer the power as neatly as a solid one, it'd lash out, free the heat through the crack - thus making it overheat. Throw a couple of vents in there to divert that extra heat et voila. And now with that said, since the extra heat is being diverted in Kylo's saber, I'd keep the damage the same at damageScale 1.0 - if it was on a saber without vents, however, going by this logic, it'd be safe to assume that it has to be a bit stronger (hotter so well yeah more cutting power -> stronger) than the regular everyday saber.

Hell no.. by this logic a cracked Kyber crystal should more powerful than normal one.. that's impossible.

• Solution

Nah.. that will never happen... when the saber lose heat on that vent holes... never mind.. for me my standard for unstable lightsabers will be 0.7 damage, in Kylo Ren case 0.6 (because of the vents). Case closed.

I still didn't understand what all this was about. You're making some kind of major overhaul mod, or just a (yet another) Kylo hilt, but with added effects? What of the photo in the OP? Looks more like a real life lightsaber recreation.

Also, no need to 'close case', if you were looking for an answer, you had to be ready not to like it, ya know? But i do get your opinion on the vents, it kinda makes sense too.

Rooxon likes this

Hell no.. by this logic a cracked Kyber crystal should more powerful than normal one.. that's impossible.

Well we actually have facts that back this up so it's possible and nothing strange about it. Think of it as a damaged battery - it will heat up and swell up because it cannot function properly, and as said - it has to lose heat and have those vents exactly because it's producing too much of it. But it's all fiction anyway, you are free to have any personal opinion you want about it. But I agree with newt and what he said last - you wanted to discuss it, we're doing just that mate...

General Howard likes this

If there's a crack in a gas pipe, it releases gas which is more dangerous than there being no crack as it would be contained prior to the crack. In this case, the Kyber crystal has a crack, it's leaking raw energy. Extra vents are added to contain it. It's really as simple as that. It's technically more powerful, but with the side vents it would roughly be the same as a regular saber.

Rooxon and General Howard like this

If there's a crack in a gas pipe, it releases gas which is more dangerous than there being no crack as it would be contained prior to the crack. In this case, the Kyber crystal has a crack, it's leaking raw energy. Extra vents are added to contain it. It's really as simple as that. It's technically more powerful, but with the side vents it would roughly be the same as a regular saber.

You're clearly wasting your time trying to explain it to him. He obviously won't budge on his decision, no matter what we try and say.. My whole viewpoint on this though, is why make a thread and ask for other people's opinions, when you're just gonna go with your own answer, in the first place? It's just redundant.

Wasa likes this

My thoughts were that unstable blades were going to mean more raw power (damage), but also meant is was prone to shorting out randomly, slowly draining the power of the blade (thus requiring a new energy cell much more frequently than stable blades), it also made it produce unusual magnetic fields that caused it to be more difficult to handle and unwieldy as it interacted with other saber blades and other magnetized weaponry.  In terms of gameplay this would cause it to have a random chance every minute of shutting off for 10 seconds, do about 1.3x more damage, but also be more prone to failing to block (weaker saber blocking).

But do what you want, if you want it to just be a weaker broken blade that's cool.

Wasa likes this

JKG Developer

My thoughts were that unstable blades were going to mean more raw power (damage), but also meant is was prone to shorting out randomly, slowly draining the power of the blade (thus requiring a new energy cell much more frequently than stable blades), it also made it produce unusual magnetic fields that caused it to be more difficult to handle and unwieldy as it interacted with other saber blades and other magnetized weaponry.  In terms of gameplay this would cause it to have a random chance every minute of shutting off for 10 seconds, do about 1.3x more damage, but also be more prone to failing to block (weaker saber blocking).

But do what you want, if you want it to just be a weaker broken blade that's cool.

Is normal to be a weaker lightsaber, because of the cracked kyber crystal.. so yeah.. in terms of gameplay, my damage will be 0.7 to 0.6 for unstable lightsabers... with new gfx blade effect.

IMHO, because a crystal is pretty unstable can deal more dmg of normal... or more less... so...

i suppose the thrue kylo ren saber float its damage between 0.7-1.3.. pity is not possible to make a flotaign saberdamage value into SAB files without code hack.

IMHO, because a crystal is pretty unstable can deal more dmg of normal... or more less... so...

i suppose the thrue kylo ren saber float its damage between 0.7-1.3.. pity is not possible to make a flotaign saberdamage value into SAB files without code hack.

1.1 saber damage seems reasonable. I may make that adjustment in some .sab files I have.

1.1 saber damage seems reasonable. I may make that adjustment in some .sab files I have.

sounds good. the little more dmg amount can really give the idea of player of a saber unstable.

However.-.. a Kyber crystal... mmm ah not, i confuse with the Kaybur gem. okay.

i was thinks about that fath that a Sith can imbue also lightsabers with his rage. based on a star wars comic i read recently about the first days of darth vader, he retrieve his red lightsaber killing some one or finding it on emperor order in a remote smuggler planet. and after, he imbue the saber with his rage and sorrow. so letterally, in vader case, is not a saber with a syntethic crystal, but a saber when the crystals, that are "alive " in a certain sense, and in symbiosis with his jedi \ forceuser, was imbued with Vader rage and hate until the crystal "bleeding" changing to red.

@@Xeby there is one thing that makes no sense to me:

Why did you even bother making this thread if you are just going to ignore any other suggestions than your own? :D

The answer is pretty simple: i was thinking here (jkhub.org) are more technical people.. but is not the case (only fanboys). The technical people are so few in this days...  for example @@Asgarath83 is one of the few.

sounds good. the little more dmg amount can really give the idea of player of a saber unstable.

However.-.. a Kyber crystal... mmm ah not, i confuse with the Kaybur gem. okay.

i was thinks about that fath that a Sith can imbue also lightsabers with his rage. based on a star wars comic i read recently about the first days of darth vader, he retrieve his red lightsaber killing some one or finding it on emperor order in a remote smuggler planet. and after, he imbue the saber with his rage and sorrow. so letterally, in vader case, is not a saber with a syntethic crystal, but a saber when the crystals, that are "alive " in a certain sense, and in symbiosis with his jedi \ forceuser, was imbued with Vader rage and hate until the crystal "bleeding" changing to red.

From http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyber_crystal

The crystals were noted for their unmatched ability to channel energy and generate enormous returns. To this end, numerous individuals attempted to make synthetic kyber crystals, though their artificial nature made them highly unstable and explosive.

Specifically, when one giant kyber crystal was destabilised by Saw Gerrera, it absorbed so much energy that when it finally did reach critical mass, it exploded with enough force to destroy both the freighter transporting it and a nearby Star Destroyer.[14]

For centuries, the Jedi cut and faceted the crystals to eliminate occlusions and intensify their power yield. Galen Erso theorized that larger crystals needed to be faceted, not only to eliminate these occlusions, but also to minimize diffraction resulting from the introduction of energy from a lasing medium. With proper faceting, the pulse of energy released by the crystal could be greatly amplified and, with the help of containment devices, provide inexpensive power for developing worlds, or be directed into a collimating beam of incredible power; as was used on the DS-1 battle station.

Kylo Ren's lightsaber had a cracked kyber crystal, which generated an unstable blade. The excess power was vented out the sides, thus creating a crossguard-like design.[19] The most important and prestigious vessels of the First Order had weapons upgraded with kyber crystals from some secret source in the Unknown Regions.

If that's not technical enough, then I don't know what is.

Futuza, Rooxon and AshuraDX like this

The answer is pretty simple: i was thinking here (jkhub.org) are more technical people.. but is not the case (only fanboys). The technical people are so few in this days...  for example @@Asgarath83 is one of the few.

I was literally citing the canon source on the power of kylo's saber

@Kylo went even further into star wars lore and rudimentary physics than me with his last post here.