First head model

Side pic. Edge loops look good so far except that you've some some weird nGons in there. Everything should be in quads, if you can manage. If you can't, mostly quads with some tris. Pentagrams? Only for summoning demons, not for modeling.

Refer to that link mini gave you - it's how I made my head with almost no previous practice or skill.

I did a quick paintover just for anatomy's sake (I don't claim it's perfect) to give you an idea of where your general shape is working and where it's failing.

M2cXD.jpg

fixed up his polyflow as much as possible and went ahead with texturing. first time with a skin texture

starkcolor1.jpg

looking rather drag queenish, and very surprised about something... a WIP nonetheless lol

starkcolor2.jpg

no renders or nothing or subdivision, just the textured decal mode screenshotted a few times

stark1.gif

* i just noticed that horizontal line in his chin, it was most likely caused when i baked the shadows into the texture, fixing it up now with a quick clone stamp or something

thats a big ixnay on starting over. i got the lips all weird cuz i wanna save polys but still try and get his awkward ducklips in there. thats also why i didnt do his eyelids and eye creases all insanely detailed like the edgeflow tuts u guys posted. planning on having a lot of detail on his body when i finally finish these other two models so im saving verts where i can. i am overall almost achieving what im lookin for with this head anyways so no need to start over for small details that wont even be seen ingame. havent worked on the back of the head and neck at all obviously.as for the jawline im still debating what to do as in maybe move an edgeloop or add one. its all definately good advice tho to use when i ever start a new character at least ill have some good tuts and references of what to do differently. but nah im almost happy with the way hes turning out, will touch up the jawline and shape his head n neck and will start on his body later after i finish proxys final details in his texturing.

also, do u know if i can use bumpmaps in the rendermap? to like, bake my bumpys into my textures?

Whilst this is getting a lot of criticism, for a first head model, this is pretty damn good. As others have said, the only thing that really looks awkward is the back of the head/neck. Sure, there is room for improvement in other places, but nothing I would call major.

Restarting isn't as bad as you think, you'll find yourself doing it much faster than the first time.

Even if you do keep this you're not listening to any advice, the back of the head and neck needs to change, it just looks F'ed up, same with the lips.

Don't be scared to build a higher poly head, if you can make it with proper loops and good flow you can always go back and manually remove some loops to reduce the count without really altering the look of the model.

yeah thats a good idea. ill prolly start modelling the heads in a bit higher polycount then go back n reduce the unnecessary edgeloops. i found myself unable to follow the correct definition with so few polys to work with. i took all crits into consideration and tried to accomodate them accordingly, but some of them conflicted with the guys natural head shape so i did what i could. also, i take yer advice a lot because u know what yer doin. but, in certain situations im going to throw yer crits out the window for the current project and just try and stay focused on completing the one im on. like i said at least i know where to start next time and how to avoid these problems, but yer soulful disgust with the fact that i textured it anyways just to see what he'd look like is comical. the title reads first head model. not 3 different attempts at the same head. simmer down a bit. all of your knowledge between u guys definately is appreciated and will alleviate the problems in the future, but ive seen some of the stuff floating around here and none of it got degraded as much as this one. im concerned about your expertise in the area and appreciate the tips and tricks to help me next time, but im not going to just throw every project away that didnt go yer way. ive had a lot of good crits about the model and i apologize for not letting u just do it yerself lol. glad i could press a few buttons around here with my skillful assault on your psyches by attempting a first head model. and mini u were right, as usual, i coulda saved time by starting over. lead a horse to water type of thing i guess. but at least i went thru with it and seen where my mistakes would leave me in the long run (pentagrams and lumpy domes lol) ill try to pay more attention to the finer details, then scale em down as needed so i can at least capture the initial shape and make sure i wont have problems later like i did this time. but im pretty stoked aboutthe way he turned out despite his lumpiness here n there. im more of a trial and error type of person. and yer crits are very well appreciated inyri. just dont expect perfectness from everybody. especially on a thread titled first head model lol. put yer claws away girl its just a head. itll prolly get lost in the thousands of models on my pc and it will no longer haunt your thoughts. funny thing is, ive seen some pretty dumb stuff here n there that just looked horrible and i saw nothing but good jobs and keep it ups where i wanted to interject like u just did with a bunch of dooshbaggery and call it like i see it, i understood the learning curve of different modellers and never wanted to steal anybodys thunder and tell them flat out that their model just looked stupid. dont b suck inyri.

Dude, no one's degrading you. We're helping you. If you don't want your work critiqued feel free to say so in the first post and we'll leave your threads alone. Mini and I are trying to help you improve - I'm just telling you I'm not going to waste my time giving you pointers if they're not going to be listened to because that's an extra five minutes I could spend working on my own models.

Don't get the impressed that I'm offended that you're not listening to me, and I'm sure mini isn't either. We just feel like we're wasting our time with the crits. I'm sure mini will keep trying to help you learn a better workflow, since he's that kind of guy, but I'm not one to beat a dead horse.

its not really a better than u can do kinda thing... ive been doing modelling straight for like 2 years now. never a character but still... i should know better than to delve too deep into something without making sure my polyflow is good. just like u wouldnt make a map without a info_playerstart lol. its just a matter of laziness and overlooking details. i tend to rush things. point is, i knew better and shoulda taken my time. lesson learned lol./ skool of hard knocks round here man

my major problem is, theres 2 types of tutorials ive seen out there. one that tells u to start with one plane and extrude the edges as u need em, and the other is like start with a box and mold it. i just get confused. i want to do it all with a plane, but i dont understand how they do it. they do the eyes, the mouth, the nose, then branch it all together. my problem is, if i do that, i will have screwy edgeloops attatching the parts. its hard for me to get edgeloops right unless i start with a box and mold it, but thats not how i wanna do it, since i want the eyelids and mouth creases like in the tuts mini posted on the first page. just takes time i think. ill get better