Jedi Academy 3D printing

I've been trying to get ready for Christmas by getting things for my friends ahead of time, and a strange idea came to me. My best friend has been voicing a character in my Star Wars machinima for years, and I was wondering what it would take to convert his Jedi Academy character into a file that could be 3D printed and that I could paint...

Has anyone had experience doing this sort of conversion? Does anyone know what steps could be taken, or if there is someone that could be commissioned for such work?

The character is a base file Jaden (head_c1|torso_c1|lower_a1).

It might be a long shot, and I probably should have thought this up earlier, but what do you all think? Is there a remote possibility?

If you convert the meshes correctly, it should be possible. Basically, Jedi Academy's models are like any other 3D model. And there are many ways to modify and export meshes to print-friendly formats. Maybe you should give it a try and share your results here. You could make a test print to see if it's feasible.

The problem I have is that the model I want is in three pieces, it's a customizable Jaden from single player. The one thing that baffles me most though is that the 3d printing site I've gone to asks if the model is modeled in milimeters, centimeters, or inches. Trying for a 3-4 inch print, just converting the files I have no idea what units of measurement were used or how to approximate it for a 3D model.

@@ZanderNao

Which software are you using? I found something for Blender, but I don't know if it fully answers your questions.

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/prepping_blender_files_for_3d_printing

Also, if you have Windows 10, there is a program (3D Builder) that allows you to resize your models and get them ready for printing.

It might be a basic tool, but it seems to fulfill its purpose.

• 3 months later...

This gives me some ideas since I can much more easily pose the models using Softimage. A friend of mine has a 3D printer at our job but it's I believe an 8 bit board so the models resolution isn't that great but sending the model to a company to print in a better resolution for $$$ would be an OK solution.

This gives me some ideas since I can much more easily pose the models using Softimage. A friend of mine has a 3D printer at our job but it's I believe an 8 bit board so the models resolution isn't that great but sending the model to a company to print in a better resolution for $$$ would be an OK solution.

Would that work for the customizable single player models that are three pieces?

I wanted to try this with a custom model. Posed it with a sequence from the .gla, made the mesh 1 piece and then subdivided while keeping volume intact, there are printers that can do colors too so the next step would be baking textures to 1 map...that's as far as i went. If you print it tiny it can cost as little as 10$...with so-so quality of course.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...