Dark Forces Mod Rebirth

Corto

As one of the original members of the Dark Forces mod, I would to give it another go. But given that my new "team" is about two members big (me and a friend of mine who codes), our intention is to focus almost exclusively on gameplay and just a couple of new high quality assets. I would like to turn the mod into a pure shooter experience and, if possible, fix some of things we could never achieve without the single player source code. Now, here´s the ask: I only need a solid JA source code to start with. I'm not asking for people to join the project, as I know how that goes. This is a hobby of mine I want to get back to, nothing else. Who can help me getting something to start working with? Thanks!

We already made an attempt at compiling and using that code. I didn't work so well. I'm sure we are doing something wrong. That's why I'm asking for help, so we can be set on the right path and continue on our own. I do have the vainilla JA sourcecode to fall back to, but it would be nice if we could use one of the enhanced version instead.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

I'm very glad you came back to the mod after so many years. The only think I would ask is that the Lightsaber and Forcepowers are kept in, but only accessible through cheat codes cause this is a mod primarily focusing on what Dark Forces originally was. :)

Add on: I don't know if you know this, but @@Teancum tried before you to bring it back and he did a good job. Maybe you guys can work together as well? :D

Anyone can jump in and start making the remaining maps or even finish the maps that were almost done but abandoned. I know it can be daunting and frustrating, specially since the modding tools are not WYSIWYG or real time. That's why I'll be focusing on gameplay code, high definition assets for the user interface and guns mainly.

TheWhitePhoenix and Smoo like this

We already made an attempt at compiling and using that code. I didn't work so well. I'm sure we are doing something wrong. That's why I'm asking for help, so we can be set on the right path and continue on our own. I do have the vainilla JA sourcecode to fall back to, but it would be nice if we could use one of the enhanced version instead.

Perhaps you could talk about the issues you were having and maybe raise a topic in the ojk discussion with what was not working. The vanilla code is not recommended.

A quick update. I tried the latest OJK build and it worked like a charm. Then I downloaded the code and created the projects, but I didn't attempt to compile it yet. I'm still refreshing my mind about the aspects of asset creation and porting them to the game.

I'm very glad you came back to the mod after so many years. The only think I would ask is that the Lightsaber and Forcepowers are kept in, but only accessible through cheat codes cause this is a mod primarily focusing on what Dark Forces originally was. :)

Add on: I don't know if you know this, but @@Teancum tried before you to bring it back and he did a good job. Maybe you guys can work together as well? :D

I had a build based on OpenJK that had several changes already rolling that we needed. It's around a year old now, but had all the important OJK updates in it as well as DF-specific stuff. It was released in the source code/map source I put out a while back, which consists of all the latest updates/files I could gather from past team members as well as my own work. Download link is below, and it's ready to build in Visual Studio 2012 Community Edition (which is free).

I can't remember all the changes I made to the code, but I do remember setting up the game so it would already read the /darkforces subfolder (meaning you could start it up without a command line), and adding an icon. There were a number of other things too, I just don't remember them. I left the force powers, sabers, etc enabled, but not active by default.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5gg2l9ure8q4ckw/DarkForces_06252016.rar

Smoo and TheWhitePhoenix like this