GMAX: Strange extrusion bug?

Go to solution Solved by Linken,

I don't know how or why this happened, but I started modelling a lightsaber for a friend of mine. I created the cylinder I needed, lined up the vertices as needed, all that good stuff. The problem started when I began to start the necessary extrusions for the hilt. I don't know what happened, but for some strange reason, whenever I extrude the needed polygons, the edge where the end of a cylinder would normally be does not extrude, making some weird-looking paper-thin tsuba on the hilt, which looks hideous.

Any idea how to fix this? Here's a screenshot. (Not of my friend's lightsaber, just a quick sketch I did in GMAX).

saberproblem_zpsmangi6e8.png

You might have multiple edge loops in the exact same location. So that when you extrude, you're only extruding 1 set of edges, while the rest of them stay? I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Also, I believe you should be modelling as an "Editable Poly" not Mesh. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, but give that a go also.

If nothing works, you could try doing this first part that you're having trouble with in another 3D program, such as Blender. Make the extrusions you need, then export and import it back into 3ds Max what whatever that program you're using there. :)

Good luck!

ooeJack

You might have multiple edge loops in the exact same location. So that when you extrude, you're only extruding 1 set of edges, while the rest of them stay? I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Also, I believe you should be modelling as an "Editable Poly" not Mesh. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, but give that a go also.

If nothing works, you could try doing this first part that you're having trouble with in another 3D program, such as Blender. Make the extrusions you need, then export and import it back into 3ds Max what whatever that program you're using there. :)

Good luck!

ooeJack

I tried it as Poly, but unfortunately with the exact same results.  :

If I have multiple edge loops, how would I check if that's the case? Though I'm not sure if it's possible, I only draw 1 cylinder.

Also I hate blender, only ever use it for Frankensteining (even then it gives me issues).

That is indeed wierd, can gmax export to any format other than it's own? I'd like to investigate on that mesh.

Either md3 or p3d, though I think .md3 is from the script some very nice person made.

Try XSI mod tool - more friendly than gmax and is free.

Really considering it, if it can everything GMAX can (but better or the same), I'll get it in a heartbeat.

Oh, Mod Tool can do WAY more

https://jkhub.org/topic/8761-gorc-custom-animation-set/page-2?do=findComment&comment=126691

2 examples for you of my recent stuff.

But, one problem exists, you have to use something like Noesis to convert from something that Mod Tool exports to MD3 then use MD3View to convert to GLM to create a saber since Softimage mainly deals with the format that the games animated models use. I have a feeling Raven artists used MS3D for a lot of the MD3 and static objects since it's a quake engine and MS3D was aimed at that engine. For IK bone animation they needed XSI.

You could try Blender but the interface is a total dumpster fire and I don't think it has a good of a node based programming solution that can compete with ICE in Softimage.

I'm still trying to find out who I have to jerk off around here to get a MD3 plugin made...

Oh, Mod Tool can do WAY more

https://jkhub.org/topic/8761-gorc-custom-animation-set/page-2?do=findComment&comment=126691

2 examples for you of my recent stuff.

But, one problem exists, you have to use something like Noesis to convert from something that Mod Tool exports to MD3 then use MD3View to convert to GLM to create a saber since Softimage mainly deals with the format that the games animated models use. I have a feeling Raven artists used MS3D for a lot of the MD3 and static objects since it's a quake engine and MS3D was aimed at that engine. For IK bone animation they needed XSI.

You could try Blender but the interface is a total dumpster fire and I don't think it has a good of a node based programming solution that can compete with ICE in Softimage.

I'm still trying to find out who I have to jerk off around here to get a MD3 plugin made...

Nice mods!

Will the tool be able to keep an accurate vertex count?

Though honestly, I may just try the old "uninstall, reinstall" method. Maybe I just hit a button without realizing it or something like that, set the thing back to default settings, you know?

• Solution

Ok, I have a "partial" solution. Start small, get big.

Create a cylinder the size of the smallest segment of your lightsaber hilt, once the cylinder is lengthened, extrude each piece to the correct size. No edges sticking out.

Oh. Have you been extruding inwards? I believe if you select multiple faces which have edges in between those faces, and extrude inwards, then it'll leave those edges in between the faces you just extruded. If you extrude outwards, then it should be fine.

Please let us know if that's it. :)

ooeJack

Archangel35757 likes this

Oh. Have you been extruding inwards? I believe if you select multiple faces which have edges in between those faces, and extrude inwards, then it'll leave those edges in between the faces you just extruded. If you extrude outwards, then it should be fine.

Please let us know if that's it. :)

ooeJack

It is, it's just a new way of having to model the hilts now, but...meh...so be it. Glad this is finally resolved. Thank you everyone for your ideas!

ooeJack likes this