Isaac Clarke

So I posted this a while back in my Introduction post on the forum....but I am getting to work on it so I feel I can start a thread for it.

This model is very much a work in progress...I actually made it as a project about 2 years ago, for my very first modeling class, and was not required to rig, uvmap, or texture it...hell the polyflow really wasn't being considered in the grade so I allowed WAY to many triangles and other ugly abominations to form in my meshes and make this thing a whopping 18k poly character....no good for JKA...so as an exclusive release here I am cleaning him up, and texturing him for release here on JKHub....

Hopefully that is lol...he is turning out to be a real task to optimize....

DAMN YOU PAST ME >.<

Anywho...I will try to post some updates on the clean-up progress either tonight or tomorrow.

1e357ec7d47af1dbfcfed4ba65e43a3d-d5cdzny.jpg

DarthValeria likes this

I would by no means call this flawless, but thanks for the compliment.

On the downside that is what is holding this model up...since I wasn't supposed to texture it, I designed it to show all the detail in the model...and now I have to reverse that...on top of killing these hideous vert nests throughout the mesh.

Oo, very interesting. Those Dead Space games were pretty great and the third one should be on it's way soon.

It'd be really cool if you could get the health meter on his back to somehow correspond with the in-game HUD, but that isn't something I expect to be possible.

I'm looking forward to how this will come along. Keep us posted with updates! :D

theres just sooooo much verts u can save with this model... i really just dont know where to start.

id say definately start deleting all the backfaces that yer not gunna see in jka on everything. all that little armor seems to be separate full meshes where it could b done with 3 sided hollow cubes.

make sense?

like this..

deadsp.jpg

delete all those ones like the ones i highlighted in red man

and his helmet is seriously just gunna have to depend on some awesome texturing. some of it should be geometrical and some of it should be textural. especially that facemask u could acheive that same shape with 1/2 that maybe less then texture the crap out of it. i see that guy being done really nicely in around 7-8000 tris

his helmet also looks rather flat at the top especially for how many faces are being used on it. hell u delete some of those edge loops and that flat top should smooth rite out u might not even have to shape it lol.

but man u put a lott of work into that. id like to see something like that get finished.

me personally, id start over, but if i put tons of work into him like that, id go thru and manually change it all back into nice smooth flowing quads and just go edge by edge thru him eliminating unecessary stuff. pretty awesome model tho man

i got a stormtrooper thats at about 11000 and i went wayyy overboard i coulda saved quite a few when i look back at it. still looks cool =)

trooperi.jpg

good job dude cant wait to see textures

The reduction process is the whole reason this is taking so long lol. Like I said, I never intended this to go in the game when I first made it.

-EDIT-

Also, none of the meshes should have backfaces, I was very thorough in removing them when I began the whole process.

Edited by CrimsonStrife
  • 5 weeks later...

Finally got back to working on him...textures are not done, but I went ahead and rigged him, hoping to test if he will even compile...keep getting a 6210 error...

6210error.jpg

The way I understand things, the 6210 means you have done something to the model it does not like ie. delete or add vertices to a model after a skin modifier etc. But I didn't do this...and I have combed through the meshes on this file looking for a reason <.<

• 10 years later...

Hello!! Nice work!
I dunno if you've finished this model yet, but if you don't mind then I'm thinking of giving it a go. I'm fairly sure I can get it jka ready!

I found the model online and the automatic reduction actually did a really good job. With some adjustments to the mesh to fix issues with normals and other possible artifacts I believe I can get this done fairly soon-ish.

1573075924-unilvl3-unpacked.png

v001.png

v002.png

2 hours ago, Willemoes said:

I dunno if you've finished this model yet, but if you don't mind then I'm thinking of giving it a go. I'm fairly sure I can get it jka ready!

This thread is from 10 years ago 😛 CrimsonStrife hasn't been around JKA in almost 8 years. I don't think he'd mind. 😂

Willemoes likes this