How can i make a winding circular stairs (without steps)

How can i make a winding circular stairs (without steps)

Been a while since I was good at patch meshes. I need like a winding circle stairs. Tried bevels but that wont work because the center point needs to go progressively lower. I'm thinking a need a patch mesh just custom into a winding thing. Kinda like this but no steps just smooth patch mesh instead.

SpiralStairs,ArielRiosBldg.jpg

I don't get why everyone is suggesting weird solutions when it can be easily achieved with a simple patch mesh:

patches.jpg

You just have to create a simple patch mesh, enter Vertex Edit Mode, then select one of the external set of three vertices and rotate it so that the patch makes a turn (either to the left or the right), and move it in the appropriate direction. Then, angle the middle vertices so to help making an actual curve. Lastly, edit the vertices and move them above their original location to create an ascending / descending curved patch. Copy and paste the section to complete the staircase.

Boothand likes this

Here's an example map I've created with a spiral ramp: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/spiral_ramp.map

It would have taken me too long to write out full instructions so the map above has the 'finished thing', and then as you move to the right, I've got the ramp at progressive stages of creation. Creating the side rails is more of the same, so I didn't include that. Here's what it looks like:

ramp.png

EDIT: Looks like I was too slow :P Example is still there if you need it.

Boothand likes this