Lightsaber vertices

Go to solution Solved by Linken,

I managed to make my very first lightsaber model, something kind of complex, but I liked how it turned out. Textures were showing up correctly, however it wouldn't show up ingame due to a lovely little error which read.

R_LoadMDXM:
models/weapons2/saber_first/saber_first.glm
has more than 1000 verts
on a surface (5557)

Is there a way to fix this or am I gonna have to start all over from scratch? *grumble grumble*

You can only have up to 1000 verts on a single mesh in your model. You can split up your model into multiple meshes, but the fact you have 5500 verts on a saber is kind of suspicious. You should reduce the amount of detail :) to put it into perspective, the player models in JKA only have about 3000 verts each (for the entire model).

Ramikad likes this

You can only have up to 1000 verts on a single mesh in your model. You can split up your model into multiple meshes, but the fact you have 5500 verts on a saber is kind of suspicious. You should reduce the amount of detail :) to put it into perspective, the player models in JKA only have about 3000 verts each (for the entire model).

How would that work if I were to do that?

Yes, it's the vertex count, NOT the polygon.

You have to remember that you are looking at this model in a 3d program probably filling your entire screen, no one in game is going to see it in that great of detail. The closest someone may get is in the saber selection menu but that's it.

Well, GMAX just screwed me over....I was under vertices, exported to md3, blah blah blah, tried it out in game, didn't work, checked the md3 file, it doubled the vertices, deleted what I needed to take down the vertice amount, same result.....  :  :  :  :

UPDATE: I examined the edited .md3, it's at 930 objects.

When you export to MD3 it creates extra vertices. In 3dsMax/GMax mesh & vertex data is stored differently than the MD3 or Ghoul2 GLM formats.

You must consider a vertex as having/representing a position, one UV texture coordinate, and one normal vector. 3dsMax/GMax do not store vertex information this way. Smoothing Groups allow you to have multiple normals at a vertex along the smooth group boundary edges. Also in 3dsMax/GMax there is no gaurantee that there is only one UV texture coordinate at a vertex-- again there could be multiple. So the MD3 exporter has to create extra vertices to hold this extra information. Does that make sense?

• Solution

When you export to MD3 it creates extra vertices. In 3dsMax/GMax mesh & vertex data is stored differently than the MD3 or Ghoul2 GLM formats.

You must consider a vertex as having/representing a position, one UV texture coordinate, and one normal vector. 3dsMax/GMax do not store vertex information this way. Smoothing Groups allow you to have multiple normals at a vertex along the smooth group boundary edges. Also in 3dsMax/GMax there is no gaurantee that there is only one UV texture coordinate at a vertex-- again there could be multiple. So the MD3 exporter has to create extra vertices to hold this extra information. Does that make sense?

It does, so how many vertices should the original model be at maximum before getting into "oh hell no" territory? Or is there no guarantee?

You cannot have 930 separate objects, 32 is the max, you need to start merging objects and the TOTAL vertex count of each object should not be more than 1k vertex's.

Either way you shouldn't have an insane amount of detail in a model that is so small on screen.

Sorry, I should've said polygons, though you probably already knew what I meant. Also I've seen very detailed, even crazy lightsaber designs on here, like on the old Escape Yavin IV mod, thought it would be possible to make one of my own.