Rey's Staff (Work In Progress)

It seems like that would make accurate skinning a pain... unless you realized that ahead of time and took it into account when unwrapping, overlapping the triangle filled discs on top of each other respectively so you can tell what parts arent being seen and thus giving you proper edges. It does reduce the transition poly counts by 50% though XD.

Good advice

now zoom out until the model's size onscreen is about the same as it's onscreem size ingame - can you see those changes clearly? could you tell wether it's a texture or modeled?

consider this when adding detail if it can't be seen - leave it out

Yeah i really dont see how you can even use it to render shadow or high res maps because youd have a completely different uv layout between the high and low res. You would have to unwrap it by cutting one seam and do the same with the low res on the same edges and try to line them up in photoshop?

Id reccomend a low res model with a high res sculpt

Or... we could experiment and you continue making an extremely high res model, ill do a low res with some sculpting, and lets compare ingame?

Yeah i do it all the time? Not sure what I was thinking there lol. Im excited to see how this turns out. I just built one I consider to be quality out of 1600 tris... so once i get some time to sculpt it, we will set them side by side ingame and get a good feel for exactly what details should and shouldnt be modeled in for future projects and reference.

There's still areas that can be reduced by following what I've done here:

v2shur.jpg

Also a tip when modelling details:

If the detail is large and will make a difference to the overall shape, model it. If it's small and isn't noticeable unless upclose, texture it. ;)

@@DT85

I'm trying to focus on the bigger details rather than the smaller ones.

This is one of these "bigger details" (it's a new version of an existing part and needs some cleanups):

It probably doesn't look like it, but I had a hard time modeling this part. This is how it should look like according to the reference pictures.

The whole modeling process is sometimes a real pain in the ass, especially when I find something that doesn't look like it should. But on the other hand, I love the challange.  ;)
DT. likes this

you once again tried to merge everything into one piece and used way too many sides for your cylinders.

use a maximum of 10-12 sides for each cylinder and use overlapping sub objects instead of extruding things like those "side boxes"

try this:

[sharedmedia=tutorials:tutorials:177]
  • 1 month later...
As many of you might have already noticed, @@Scerendo is currently working on a Rey model.

I soon recalled that somebody was working on Rey's staff, but it took me a while to realize that this "somebody" happened to be me.

Yes, I had so many personal projects (not modding related) that I almost forgot about this one. Here is the model in it's current state, which I made about two months ago.

Long story short: I want to pass on this project, to somebody who knows how to handle the whole process.

I simply realized that, with the modeling skills I have (which is little compared to the professionals here), I'm not able to put up a model like this one, especially when it has many details (for JA standards, it's a monster of a model).

Sure, I made the model, but this is not enough. It needs more than that, like textures, optimizations, rigging and so on.

If anyone is interested in picking up this project, just let me know (on this topic or PM) and I will provide you the model.

GPChannel, Langerd and Scerendo like this
  • 10 months later...

After almost a year since the last update, I decided to give this model another shot. Thanks to the magic of Substance Painter 2, I've finally managed to get some textures done. It's not much, not even spectacular, but it's a start.

Consider it as some sort of mock-up.

Also, my offer still remains: If someone is interested in finishing this model (to make it compatible with Jedi Academy), just ask me and I'm giving you the model.
Kualan, Noodle and swegmaster like this