Beginners' Mods

I suggest that small reskins, recolors, tweaks that are obviously not on the level of an full-blown, advanced mod should go into their own section in the file archives.

I agree that everyone needs to start somewhere, and that we need to have an option for people to post the result of their first adventures into JK modding, but I also feel that the JKHub archives should be kept clean somehow of thousands of small reskins and recolors of the same skins. So I suggest that we file starters'/beginner's mods away as such (or "light mods") under their own category, and maybe include a filter in the search to include/exclude them depending on what the user is looking for.

Not sure how difficult this would be to implement, but I do feel there's a need for this, lest our archives turn into the mess JK3Files has become over the years.

But when it comes to searching the library, it will become more and more difficult to find new models over time.

I'm already having difficulty finding all of HapSlash's work, for instance.

Not a fan of that idea. I feel like that categorization of mods would be degrading to most people. I'm sure if a beginner did finally release their first skin, they'd want it in the skin section, not one titled "beginner's mods"

I was thinking more along the lines of "lighter mods". You don't have to be a beginner to create a simple but fun recolor/reskin. In fact I have one (a Pantoran Jaden), and I've been hesitant to release it.

How about instead of delegating files as being beginners, we mark a file as being a past Featured File?

I like this idea better. Instead of "demoting" smaller scale mods, we could promote the most distinguished/downloaded ones as main features? (Browsable separately?)

I agree, searching for files such as Hapslash's or Toshi's is hard because so many files give credit to them. Searching for "hapslash" in the files will narrow down the results a lot though, down to 4 pages. That's not very many to look through.

This kind of stuff will definitely be discussed during the Great JKHub Renovation™ in terms of making it easier to find files and as user friendly as possible. :)

Cerez likes this