Is a new Jedi Knight reboot possible?

I do not think they make other Jedi Knight, but they did could make a new series of simulator of jedi, from youngling to jedi grand master, with a improved lightsaber system of Jedi Academy, social relations of Mass Effect and Force powers similar to Advent Rising...

Basically this.

My dream would be something like a mix of Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Jedi Knight and (maybe) Assassins Creed. I want to do quests as a Jedi in an open-world Coruscant, having a good story and good gameplay and saber combat. If anyone has read "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" or the "Jedi-Padawan" series. That kind of feeling in a game and I'd be sold.

This is for singleplayer of course. Nowadays a multiplayer SW-game with lightsaber combat would be crap anyway.

@@Mizore

Well, I don't want to sound too optimistic or else, but the Kinect Star Wars (as much as I don't like it) centers around a group of young Jedi, who go through training and even take a lesson on Kashyyk together with master Yoda. From a certain point of view that is Jedi Academy game set during the Clone Wars.

@

1313 could boast with things like that, though it was not about a Jedi. Some of the concept art suggest having missions with dozens of NPCs wondering through the street while you chase your goal (almost like in Hitman 4-5), or stealth missions. Visiting an apartment inside the Coruscanti skyscraper - everything could be done. Though they haven't just yet.

Instead we get Uprising.

I find it quite unbelievable how a better sword-fighting mechanic has not been created in any Star Wars game for all these years since Jedi Academy.

The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels is crap, Kinect Star Wars is crap, and I heard even The Force Unleashed lacks in the lightsaber department.

Darth Sion likes this

It's not as unbelievable if you consider the fact that an intricate sword-fighting mechanic implies mechanical complexity, and mechanical complexity is impossible on a gamepad. You should try performing some very basic and standard sabering moves on the xbox...

Cerez likes this

That's true, I haven't thought of that. I guess in many aspects you still can't beat the power and versatility of the PC for gaming.

That means that if a new lightsaber combat game was to be released, it would need to be designed for the PC for it to potentially rival JK. That's not likely to happen knowing today's commercial trends...

I find it quite unbelievable how a better sword-fighting mechanic has not been created in any Star Wars game for all these years since Jedi Academy.

Metal Gear Rising, and that one game about knights that's considered too hard, blade symphony also could work too...

Chivalry is pretty good or could have been good with better developers. It's also available for consoles now. But it doesn't have the movement based melee combat system of JKA so it's way easier to play on consoles.

It was also a game developed for the PC (just like Blade Symphony), which was then ported over to other systems, meaning that no big budget studio would do that. So yes, indies are our only real hope, but given that indie devs are probably not going to get a hold of the SW license, whatever they come up with will not be based on SW. It's not a big issue of course, more of a sidenote.

Cerez likes this

One thing I don't get is that Lucas himself said once that he was so impressed with the story of Shadows of the Empire he would have made a movie out of it.But that was made in 1996 and not 1983 when the original trilogy ended before the prequel trilogy came out in 1999.Here's another thing back when Dark Forces first came out he actually showed it to Disneyland to promote it which is pretty strange.

So yes, indies are our only real hope, but given that indie devs are probably not going to get a hold of the SW license, whatever they come up with will not be based on SW. It's not a big issue of course, more of a sidenote.

Which really is a shame when you think about it. An indie development team might actually do something very interesting with a Star Wars game, but they probably never will get a chance.

Which really is a shame when you think about it. An indie development team might actually do something very interesting with a Star Wars game, but they probably never will get a chance.

Why would they? Disney only wants developers worth their salt, and the vast majority of indie games are utter shovelware.

Ping likes this

Although I agree with your overall sentiment with regard to indie devs and that the license shouldn't be sold to bad developers, I'd still say that we haven't had a good SW game since 2005 (republic commando, or 2007 if you want to count lego), so I'd strongly argue that the vast majority of SW games up to date are trash and only made any money at all because of the license.

Having said that, I personally am not fuzzed about leaving behind the SW franchise for a good spiritual sequel to JKA - this was, after all, the idea behind compJA.

Raz0r likes this

You should try performing some very basic and standard sabering moves on the xbox...

This changes with things like the Steam controller. Think of it as a well-engineered laptop trackpad.

It won't beat a mouse for some crazier moves, but is multiple steps above an analog stick.

• 1 year later...

The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels is crap, Kinect Star Wars is crap, and I heard even The Force Unleashed lacks in the lightsaber department.

Lacks? That's putting it lightly.. It's nothing but a pure, arcade hack 'n' slash.