Classic Consoles (NES, SNES, Sega and more)

After playing lots of Next-Gen games, I got a little bit tired of them. No matter how great graphics have become, I can't see much replay value in them.

Okay, there are still games where you can see a lot of effort in them and you have a great replay value. But they became rare nowadays.

And because many publishers are releasing half-assed, almost unplayable games nowadays, I decided to grab

my old consoles and played some of the classics. I realized that most of the games, despite their age, are still appealing. 

You can really see a lot of effort in them or at least something that makes them distinctive.

I mean, just look at them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLzTh3OAey0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPP_RcMdqW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_cl7fRiu8M

These are just a few of the games I grew up with and I'm still enjoying them.

So, does anyone else remember those classic consoles and their games?

Smoo, Cerez, the_raven and 3 others like this

I loved the SNES and PS1. Super Star Wars (all 3) were awesome, and will be a bit of inspiration for a JKA mod I'm a part of. And The Phantom Menace game for PS1 is one of my favorite games of all time.

As far as your replay value statement, I actually find the opposite to be true. I replay modern games all the time, and rarely go back to play the older ones. I find the classics boring now. :P

DT. and Smoo like this

I have around 1000 NES and 225 SNES roms I play quite a lot. Just went through Castlevania 3 and have been trying to get more than 100 lines on Tetris for the past week. I either get up to 99 and crap out, get 106, or screw up in the 80's.

@@IrocJeff, with Tetris, you need to get to the point where you see the shapes almost like colours, and stay one step ahead of the game using the side view. I've almost finished it on my GameBoy. Of course that also means that you will start seeing Tetris blocks in your sleep, but don't worry, it'll wear off and you're not going crazy, hahaha! :winkthumb:

The original GameBoy is still the only gaming device you can take out into direct sunlight and play video games with.

Prince of Persia (DOS) anyone? What about Ugh! (DOS)? I think some of the greatest multiplayer games games are in classics. I prefer to play with the person next to me, not online. Has anyone played Moonstone? Up to four people can play it, taking turns. It's a great game.

Onysfx and Lancelot like this

I prefer to play with the person next to me, not online.

I totally agree with you. Multiplayer was something amazing, especially in Mario Kart (both SNES ans N64), Street Fighter II, F-Zero and GoldenEye 64.

It was great just to sit there and play with friends. Then there was the action, the talking and the unspeakable ultraviolence afterwards

when someone got really pissed because he lost a fight or a race against you (and the other way around).  :D 

And if nobody got pissed, you were enjoying a great game with whoever you were playing with.

That is something an online-mode can't offer.

Multiplayer nowadays isn't that bad, but it killed what made the multiplayer of the past real fun.

Cerez likes this

You can still find certain games on consoles today that allow you to one-on-one with your friends, but not nearly as many as there used to be, and certainly not with such a great social experience.

The funny thing is, in the 90s our parents were telling us that video games make you unsocial. Back then video games were social! When you played with your friends you were sharing in a real social, personal experience. It was a different experience to playing outside, but that didn't make it an unsocial activity. Compare that to much of today's games. The focus these days is more on online activities and virtual worlds -- not at all much linked to the real world around us.

Not that I mind online communities -- otherwise I wouldn't be here -- but you just can't compare playing shoulder to shoulder with your friend to playing with someone on the other side of the globe through a limited means of communication...

Lancelot likes this

Here are a few of my favorite's from NES and SNES

Guerilla War: This is a fun game with two players and is WAY better than Ikari Warriors.

Out of this World: Kinda like a Prince of Persia type game but really drove me nuts trying to finish it. 

Castlevania 4: I rented this one a ton...

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000: I usually don't play in ULTRA mode, but this is one I still play to this day. I was always puzzled by how odd NES/SNES baseball games were until I saw Japanese Baseball on TV and documentaries and then I totally got it. lol.

Cerez likes this

I found another gem of a game in my collection.

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N68qvYFpTA

I played it over and over again, but I never made it to the end of the game.

And despite its crazy style and its difficulty, it's fun to play.

This game reflects a totally weird but fun era where everything was possible.

Hell, even Nintendo's commercials were awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6NdUJ8vtA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tTc8__lXkM

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another game I played over and over again when I was a kid, and I'm still playing it whenever I get my hands on it.

METAL GEAR SOLID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEHUGmRQGzg

To me, it's the best game I've ever played on PlayStation. The first time I played it, I got drawn into

the world immediately. The gameplay is still fresh and challenging, and the story, especially the characters,

are amazing. Hideo Kojima created a masterpiece that's entertaining to this day. The Gamecube remake enhanced

the experience a little bit, but I still prefer the original.

The worst thing is to skip the Codec conversations and the cutscenes. They are important and it's a sin to skip them when you play it the first time.

Cerez and Smoo like this
  • 2 years later...

*looks around*

Well, it's been a while since my last post. So, how about another one?

Has anybody heard of Snatcher before? If not, a quick summary: It's a game by Konami, created by none other than Hideo Kojima. It was first initially released for the PC-88 and later ported over systems such as

the MSX-2, PC-Engine, Sega CD and PlayStation. You could also call this game an interactive graphic novel, as it heavily relys on text, spoken dialog and images. However, once you are into the game, that's no problem at all.

I played the Sega CD version again last year. Despite the age, it's still worth it. And because of Kojima's unique style of storytelling, it's a little bit like watching a movie. Speaking of movies, Blade Runner and The Terminator were the main inspirations

to this game. The combination of both really works and the game is surpringly addictive.

I could explain the plot, but the opening pretty much explains what the game is about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfltRGG_yQo

I can highly recommend the Sega CD version, which can be considered as the Director's Cut of the game (next to the Japanese PC-Engine version). Also, the Sega CD version is the only one that was officially released in English, while any other release are in Japanese. The downside is that it has a hefty price tag, but it's worth it. The PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions on the other hand are considered inferior, as the graphics and the soundtrack are not quite as good as in the previous ones.

Smoo likes this