Locked out of my computer.

Bek

This is very embarrassing to say, but I locked myself out my own computer...

*facepalm

Anyways I need to get back on by any means necessary. I was hoping that somebody here would have an idea to help me out.

Things I've tried:

- Password reset disk:

Only works if you previously created one.

- Starting Windows with command prompt:

For some reason my monitor doesn't think my computer is on when I try this, so it just stays off even though my computer isn't.

- Running Linux from a flashdrive.

Not sure how to exactly do this, but this seems to be my last resort.

Most of these options require me, going into my bios menu, I have no problem with this, but I'm unable to see my screen because my monitor thinks the computer is off when I'm on the bios menu. My monitor isn't a power saver or anything like that it's actually a Acer.

I have no idea what to do, a friend said that I'm unable to see the menu because of a security feature for my computer, but I think this is unlikely.

@@Syko @@Darth Futuza ?

Can you use an alternate monitor?  Or force the monitor to stay on when there's no input (usually just pushing menu buttons will do this).

^ This. It sounds like your monitor is out of range when in the BIOS, which is very strange since I've never come across a BIOS that enforces any form of screen resolution.

If you've got an HD TV (read: Anything made after 2005 or so) you can use a VGA or DVI cable to turn your television into a second screen. Cheap and easy alternative, provided you've got everything. From there, you can reinstall Windows or whatever. If you need to get the data off, just pull out the hard drive. I'm assuming it's a laptop? Should be a panel somewhere that you can open and pop out the hard drive.

^ This. It sounds like your monitor is out of range when in the BIOS, which is very strange since I've never come across a BIOS that enforces any form of screen resolution.

More likely he has a TV that is being picky about the non widescreen resolutions and specifically like 640x480.

Bek likes this
  • 1 month later...