OpenJK website design

Xycaleth

You've probably noticed that OpenJK doesn't have a website. The problem is we've been directing our efforts into code for OpenJK and there hasn't been any interest to design and start up a website. Now that we're nearing the first release, I think it's a good time to start to think about making a website, so I've come here to ask for people's help with designing one! But we're not sure what kind of theme, styling or "tone" we want in the design, so anything is good for now. Anything to get the ideas going and then we can decide from there :D

Personally, I'm a sucker for simple designs, lots of pictures/screenshots, and a basic navigation bar across the top of the page but maybe that wouldn't suit OpenJK. Somewhere in the design we would need space for displaying the IRC server/channel, and obviously the JKHub bar :)

In terms of content, I don't think we would need many pages. Something like...

• Home page with brief statement clearly on the page saying what OpenJK is. Aimed mainly at people who will run OpenJK, but also with a link to another page for coders so they know what's different.
  • About page? Full description of what we want to achieve.
  • Downloads page (obviously)
  • Contribution page?
  • Forums (links to these forums)
  • Updates page?

So would anybody be willing to whip something up?

Mert-K likes this

./Hope I am not unwelcome here.

Everyone's welcome :D

Yeah, afraid a few days time is too short notice for me to build a full-featured website, sorry. I'll pass up on this and let someone else do it

There's not any rush to get the website up and running now I think about it. I'm back in a few weeks, so we could sort things out then? Or like Artorias says, someone else can organise stuff with him. @@ensiform @@Didz @@Raz0r?

I'd be happy to do it, I currently have 2-3 other projects on the go and I only work for money at the moment due to saving for a wedding etc :P so if you're willing to pay I'd be happy to take it on. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a few websites as examples :) 

Lets make this a contest..

I don't think having a contest is a great idea. What would you give as a prize? :P

Maybe it would be easier if someone starts off with a design (literally, something in photoshop/gimp) and then we just refine it? I'd be willing to come up with something quickly tonight.

gerbilOFdoom and Futuza like this

I don't think having a contest is a great idea. What would you give as a prize? :P

Maybe it would be easier if someone starts off with a design (literally, something in photoshop/gimp) and then we just refine it? I'd be willing to come up with something quickly tonight.

Give out an official boxed copy of OpenJK, burn it onto a CD with an installer and then mail it out to the winner(s).  

Circa and eezstreet like this

JKG Developer

I am in a website design class and we will be designing websites, so I read what we will be doing a bit, and decided to jump ahead and learn as much as I could, with this idea as a springboard. I wasn't planning on submitting this, but I realized that someone could copy the html for like the FAQ's and stuff. I know it's not production quality at all, so no need to tell me we can't use it haha! 

I learned a lot though, like having a non-moving background and using javascript and other cool stuff that most people probably find mundane  :D

Also, if someone that does know what they're doing has any pointers before we start this in class, that would be great! If not, I hope it helps, even if in a small way. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwpofi3449xxdtz/AAD3B2GvmT2Yea_0OXCeg307a?dl=0

• 1 month later...

Most excellent. Are you using jquery-UI? If so, a simple little drop down with platform-specific downloads and some links anchored at the top are honestly all that's needed.

Not using jquery, but that's a good idea =] Shouldn't need to use any javascript for that though. It's all doable with CSS.

eezstreet likes this
  • 8 months later...