New Ambeint Soundset

Sound sets like in the sound.txt? Yes it's possible, but as soon as people download another map with a modder who also added a new sound.txt it will be replaced :P

Possible yes, useful no.

(if someone could tell me how to add ambient non speaker sounds it would be epic.)

It's also possible to play sounds with a script, for when people are in a trigger_multiple. But I think your best shot are speaker entities.

The cap for entities is higher than you might think, and don't forget that lights only count as entity if they have a light style or are triggerable. Targeted lights and normal lights are baked in the maps light map. If you don't go overboard (ahahah) with it you'll be fine. If you decide to go overboard, remove the entities that are not entirely needed when you hit the cap :)

I looked it up, it's actually 1024.
Now that limit is for weapon spawns, dropped weapons, NPCs, speakers, triggers, lights and all movable brushes.

If I'd think of my map, I can estimate that I'd use around 30-50 doors.
Speakers are dropped around the level, so i'd say I need about 150 to make the entire exterior work with random sounds, and that exterior is about 6 times the size of the platform on FFA5 to give you a sense of the distribution.
misc_models and misc_model_statics are baked in the map, so unless they are movable they are not an entity.

Now I'd like to add some effects, the clouds have 2 fx_runners, the waterfall will have about 3-5, and maybe i'd like to try and add some effects for butterflies or something.
This map also features it's own NPCs, so that adds about 10 entities.
And last there are ofcourse the various spawnpoints this map will absolutely need, so I'll estimate I need about 15 of those, randomly distributed. 

That takes my total to about 232 entities minimum. Admins could still spawn about 700 NPCs and give everyone weapons or force, and the game would be maxed out.

In reference, The Academy V3 by Virtue has 376 on start (it also features NPC spawners)
648 for NPC spamming, and it's a pretty huge map.

And ofcourse there is the king of entities, Jedi Council GCX, with a staggering 707 entities on start, featuring NPC spawners and more.
Still, it's 300 below the entity limit, and it takes a while for people to move around the map. It has medkids pretty much all around aswell

Now I obviously haven't been on the titanic, but I still don't think that limit is going to be much of a problem with few speakers :)

Well it wasn't that I was worried about the number of sound effects as much as I just don't like clutter in my map files. So you can make a new sound set but some one else's will replace it? that's odd, I mean if my sound set has a specific name and the sounds have there own unique directory, how would some one else s overwrite it?

soundsets are pretty much created by that sound.txt (if i understand it correctly)
The game looks for that sound.txt as asset, and then reads that as individual soundsets. If you create a soundset yourself you'll have to edit that sound.txt
The problem is if for example, I decide to download another mod that also has a sound.txt, the game will either use your soundsets or those soundsets, resulting in random errors when the game tries to load it.

It's a bit like how JKA handles custom animations.

I have at the moment in the tiny part of my map about 100, but i need to see if i can take a couple out (has to do with some models). does func_group count as ingame entity or is that just a propperty for radiant? I have also a bunch of ref tags arround, thats also an in game entity?

func_group don't count as in-game entities, they get dropped when the map is being loaded. (Identically to info_null)

ref_tag don't count as in-game entities either, however they get their information extracted while loading. They are added to a list of tags, of which there are a limit of 16 "tag owners" and 256 tags per "tag owner". This results in a maximum of 256*16 tags, aka 4096. If you don't supply a tag owner, it'll pick the default world "tag owner". So if you want to use more than 256 tags, you must make use of different tag owners by setting the "ownername" field on the tag.

EDIT: All waypoint_navgoals add up to the tag list too, and these use the world's default "tag owner". (This means a maximum of 256 waypoint navgoals, because they fill up one "tag owner")

EDIT 2: This is all correct for MP, but it might be different in SP.

I believe there was a command that allowed you to see what entities were running at all time's, it combined with Developer 1 of course. Not some thing I've used so, I'm not sure what the command is. Their's a list here on Jkhub that covers all the in game commands. Might look around in that.

soundsets are pretty much created by that sound.txt (if i understand it correctly)

The game looks for that sound.txt as asset, and then reads that as individual soundsets. If you create a soundset yourself you'll have to edit that sound.txt

The problem is if for example, I decide to download another mod that also has a sound.txt, the game will either use your soundsets or those soundsets, resulting in random errors when the game tries to load it.

It's a bit like how JKA handles custom animations.

Wouldn't the offending soundset file being played be based on the name of the pk3 file its in? Since they load alphabetically, couldn't you just name your soundset zz_soundset.pk3 (or similar) so it'll be loaded last? 

AngelModder likes this

I looked it up, it's actually 1024.

Now that limit is for weapon spawns, dropped weapons, NPCs, speakers, triggers, lights and all movable brushes.

If I'd think of my map, I can estimate that I'd use around 30-50 doors.

Speakers are dropped around the level, so i'd say I need about 150 to make the entire exterior work with random sounds, and that exterior is about 6 times the size of the platform on FFA5 to give you a sense of the distribution.

misc_models and misc_model_statics are baked in the map, so unless they are movable they are not an entity.

Now I'd like to add some effects, the clouds have 2 fx_runners, the waterfall will have about 3-5, and maybe i'd like to try and add some effects for butterflies or something.

This map also features it's own NPCs, so that adds about 10 entities.

And last there are ofcourse the various spawnpoints this map will absolutely need, so I'll estimate I need about 15 of those, randomly distributed. 

That takes my total to about 232 entities minimum. Admins could still spawn about 700 NPCs and give everyone weapons or force, and the game would be maxed out.

In reference, The Academy V3 by Virtue has 376 on start (it also features NPC spawners)

648 for NPC spamming, and it's a pretty huge map.

And ofcourse there is the king of entities, Jedi Council GCX, with a staggering 707 entities on start, featuring NPC spawners and more.

Still, it's 300 below the entity limit, and it takes a while for people to move around the map. It has medkids pretty much all around aswell

Now I obviously haven't been on the titanic, but I still don't think that limit is going to be much of a problem with few speakers :)

It's very odd this limit. manty years ago i make in 2 months a simple single player swamp forest map. it got 2700 entities (2000 trees for forest + sone hundred of enemy NPC + a lot of triggers etc etc. and not hit any build cap limit. also in game, i got any problem.

o.o

in my actual cathedral map i have something as 4000 entities (more are lights, okay, but a thousands are misc_models and no problems )

Yea mis model's are your friends, less compile time, but a better result, and they don't count against you... It's a triple win.Here has been a question I've had for a while.now scripting my ship to sink, no problem, scripting models to move no problem, but what do you do when your ship's origin is say more towards the stern the models ofcourse have there own origins, this becomes VERY difficult if not impossible to make them move in sync..

Asgarath83 likes this