FEATURE: OpenGL 3 Renderer

@@Xycaleth would you have any time to look at my crash please?

I don't have a windows pc available for the foreseeable future so I won't be able to debug. I can say though you should never comment out error messages just to avoid them. They're there to report something bad happened and to avoid worse things from happening afterwards.

For the COM_BeginParseSession problems, the error message is saying it was called too many times without Com_EndParseSession being called. Every time you call the begin session function, there needs to be an end session otherwise you'll get this error. In rend2 I think there's a few cases where the begin function is used, and might not have the matching end session to go with it.

I don't think MP was so strict with this which is why It doesn't have the problem.

DT85 likes this

Ok fixed that and debug now works without commenting out the error.

After some tedious testing, I've discovered that shaders for Ghoul2 models (excluding the player model & weapons, they load fine) including misc_model_ghoul/bolt-ons/NPCs crash the game upon loading a map. MD3 models with shaders however, work fine. Menu ghoul2 modes do not crash the game.

Would anyone know what could possibly be going on here?

Will need more work though, force push/pull effect is shit in rend2.

If you need a start for the refraction rendering: https://github.com/SomaZ/OpenJK

Needs a lot of optimiziation though and some stuff of the vanilla refraction rendering is missing. Eg the wobble effect, refractive surfaces are not sorted in the right way and so on. Maybe someone finds a better way of doing it. Right now it uses another framebuffer, which is memory consuming. The shader is poorly written.... and so on  :rolleyes: 

At least it doesn't look to bad. :lol:

DT85 likes this

If you need a start for the refraction rendering: https://github.com/SomaZ/OpenJK

Needs a lot of optimiziation though and some stuff of the vanilla refraction rendering is missing. Eg the wobble effect, refractive surfaces are not sorted in the right way and so on. Maybe someone finds a better way of doing it. Right now it uses another framebuffer, which is memory consuming. The shader is poorly written.... and so on :rolleyes:

At least it doesn't look to bad. :lol:

Thanks, I'll check it out. :)

@@DT85 Oh, the cvar is r_refraction. Maybe this is the problem? After looking briefly at the vanilla code, I'm pretty sure the sp vanilla code handles the refraction/distortion like the mp renderer. I will still look at it when I'm home.

Ok, good news everyone. I got the refraction rendering working in SP.

@@DT85 There seems to be a little mistake in your RB_RenderDrawSurfList . I just copied the first part (first line to the part where my code hooks in) from the mp rend2 and it starts to recognise the refractive surfaces. I'll try to figure out what causes the problem. Also the cull type for the refractive surfaces should be CT_BACK_SIDED. I have no idea why, but it works for force push and pull. I guess I'll add the rest of vanilla features and make a pull request on github. So stay tuned. :)

Nonono, force speed has nothing to do with refraction. I just hated the fact that it looked so bad in rend2 and found an easy fix.

Actually I really like the spherical effect. I could add an alternative shading for it, if somebody tells me how it should look like. If you dislike the force push and pull effect, you can easily disable it now. Simply set "r_refraction 0". I think there are only 3 to 4 effects that use refraction now. 3 of them are push, pull and the shield. Can't remember the last one. I guess it was the sniper trail. I doesn't know for sure right now. ?_?

DT85 likes this