Any way to adjust neck size?

Okay, so I started the work on my clan's Jedi Alien Pack. Don't worry, I'll make sure to get everybody's permission before doing anything. However, let's get back to the business.

That's no mystery, when you simply frankenstein one head to another body (hapslash anakin for that case), the neck is most likely not going to fit. So... what tricks do you have to actually adjust the size? The problem was a pain in the ass for me in the last couple of weeks but I'm still trying and that's what I figured out might be useful:

- Scaling the entire head

- Selecting vert after vert and moving it 

Well... I'm done. Of course, I can also move the entire head, but it just doesn't get it done. I know you have your own ways of dealing with that issue, and I'm not expecting you to just give it away. But c'mon, atleast guide me to the right direction. I'm just getting started with the whole thing.

Generally I move every vertex to a more appropriate position. However, if you don't want to deal with hordes of vertexes and you're using Blender, you can try a quick trick, that is using the sculpt tool to move bunch of vertexes but with less accuracy and a higher chance to come out with something not really pleasant. And that's just about it. I don't see scaling as an option, as it just destroys the original proportions.

The biggest issue I had when moving every single vertex to it's new position was that... let's just say I got my neck in place, and it fits. However, the up side of neck is still at its original position so it all looks like the bottom side of the neck is smaller, and the up side is bigger. Then I would have to remove every part of neck, but it doesn't work either because head now doesn't fit, blah blah. I think you know where I'm heading with this one :P. Still, I'm looking forward for your posts!

I use 3d max 5 because is more precise of blender as modelling program. I fix the vertex moving vertex for merge the other of the other meshes. i make it:

1 ii take a paper

2 - i design the vertexes edge poligon ot the neck \ limb.

3 - i assign to each vertex a letter A, B, C, D, E, F, etc

i  write a table with each vertexthe coordinates X  Y Z of Max.

Now i select in edit vertexes mode the neck or torso and i create another graphic of edge vertexes structures.

i aligh the vertexes of the 2 limbs, changing coordinates XYZ of A with the verts A of other limb, same for B, C, D, etc,.

and so i make a perfect suturation. sometime mesh can be little deformed. if you got a mesh with 10 vertexes and one with 11, the vertexes in ecpetion go to origin of nearest vertex.

I disagree that 3ds Max is more precise (having used it 95% more than Blender) :) Imo, Blender is the way to go.

I would simply scale the head to a realistic proportion (or leave it if it's good, get it in place, then move the verts to the corresponding points. If it's becoming too thin compared to the upper neck, just scale the bottom up or scale the upper part down. Nothing keeps you from modifying the body either to make it right.

^ And that's the thing with 3D workflows. Everyone has their own style :P
Reminds me of the first few months with 3D lessons at my school, where I kept working more efficiently than my teacher. :3

But can't you just move all the verts in position, and make small adjustments to other verts where needed?
And also, people look over small details, unless you point them at it. If you just make the neck work the goal is achieved I guess

Asgarath83 likes this

^ And that's the thing with 3D workflows. Everyone has their own style :P

Reminds me of the first few months with 3D lessons at my school, where I kept working more efficiently than my teacher. :3

But can't you just move all the verts in position, and make small adjustments to other verts where needed?

And also, people look over small details, unless you point them at it. If you just make the neck work the goal is achieved I guess

Yes all my mod model are not perfect but i try to make ever better as i can. they have ever some minor weight issue etc specially in upper torso - arms junction part, it's the more difficult to rig for me. O.o

however when a model try to slash you in pieces with 2 lightsabers, surely you not watch his nek movement. :D

But that should be problematic in cinematics. : \ with zoome out the face and head.