New Modview

What do you think of the new toolbar? :) Oh and I fixed the broken rendering with transparent textures. (Also I realise I'm missing some icons)

modview.png

I use the incremental speed up & slow down play buttons to slow down animations mainly to look for flaws... I'm sure @@DT85 uses that as well. I don't see those buttons like the legacy modview... I need to download your version and try it out.

Not possible without rewriting the ModView renderer, but it's mostly lots of copy and paste from the JKA renderer. The ModView renderer is literally a stripped down version of the original anyway so it'll just be like stuffing a turkey :D But instead of stuffing or whatever else you put in a turkey, you put back the  original bits that got taken out :P

Please add the necessary render support to preview shaders-- especially normal maps! :winkthumb:

Would be great to have a moving/moveable lightsource, would make creating specular a lot easier (it never looks the same as in other apps, so I'm constantly tweaking). Yeah, speed up/down is needed for sure.

Here's a wishlist for the ultimate ModView:

- moving/moveable light source
- shader support (including anim textures, glow, specular, etc)
- able to load effects (would help tag position & orientation on models)
- migrate MD3View into ModView
- ability to play animevents sounds WITHOUT having to load an external player similar to EffectsED
- decent floor texture, & have floor default to 0,0,0 position (so we don't have to keep enabling it and then move floor to lowest model point)

- ability to play animevents sounds WITHOUT having to load an external player similar to EffectsED

- decent floor texture, & have floor default to 0,0,0 position (so we don't have to keep enabling it and then move floor to lowest model point)

How would the animevents sounds get played then? They play in the event an animation has reached frame X, but without a model you don't have an animation :P

What would a "decent" floor texture look like? Using (0, 0, 0) for the floor position isn't the best idea - for player models this would mean the floor goes through the waist. Perhaps set the floor position to the lowest model point when it gets loaded?

Archangel35757 likes this

1) I think you misunderstood what I meant about animevents. Right now, the sound (when sounds is enabled through the menu) is played through an external media player (ie windows media player) and doesn't sync well if at all with the animations. This is largely due to the time it takes to load the media player, then to load the sound in the media player each time a sound is to be played. My solution - an internal sound player for Modview like EffectsED.

2) Ok, how about a default of -24? :P Decent as in an actual texture, checkers is awful. A solid color (with a color picker for the floor) would be best now I think of it.

Edited by DT85

How would the animevents sounds get played then? They play in the event an animation has reached frame X, but without a model you don't have an animation :P

What would a "decent" floor texture look like? Using (0, 0, 0) for the floor position isn't the best idea - for player models this would mean the floor goes through the waist. Perhaps set the floor position to the lowest model point when it gets loaded?

Isn't the EffectED sound player external? That's why mp3 (winamp) is broken, right? As for the floor texture... just let us choose the checker board colors. The checker size should also be an option and IMO set as a multiple of GtKRadiant (8, 16, 32, etc.)- so we can use to judge player movement away from origin. Checker pattern helps judge/see lateral/longitudinal movement.

@@Xycaleth... I like the idea of setting the floor to the correct "game world" floor. You could leave the option to set the floor to the lowest part of the character. If you enable a solid floor color-selectable option... at least provide a size-selectable "grid-overlay" option. :winkthumb:

@@Xycaleth... I like the idea of setting the floor to the correct "game world" floor. You could leave the option to set the floor to the lowest part of the character. If you enable a solid floor color-selectable option... at least provide a size-selectable "grid-overlay" option. :winkthumb:

The problem with correct "game-world" floor is it depends on the game code, and won't always be the same for different models. The best I can do is lowest point on model (the floor position won't update with the animation so it'll be a fixed position).

@@DT85 I don't know if I plan to get anywhere with it since I don't even know what Assimilate really does/looks like.  I'm not a modeler/animator so it would be hard to try to implement the rest of it.

ShaderEd would be more my area, but I always have issues getting a GL widget working in QT and this is no different.

Ultimately I think the tools code should have a shared codedbase with some of the basic stuff that is shared between all of them and cleaner/redone.  Like some engine/"quake" functions etc.  Dunno.