Very First Model - WIP

Yeah, it's one of those lesser known modeling software. I like it because its user interface is minimal, easy to use, and highly customisable. It's not the most advanced 3D modeling software out there, but it support most formats and it gets the job done -- and for what I'm making so far it has been quite sufficient. It's a practical little thing. And it loads fast. All in all, worth having if you can get your hands on a copy for a cheaper price, I think even as a lightweight alternative to Maya (or some other software like that).

I guess Daz Hexagon is lightweight and practical like that, too. :)

NumberWan likes this

Hexagon no longer exists, I think. I bought it for 0$ (yes, zero dollars), because they were shutting down the whole project and one could buy all the programs regarding Hexagon for free for 4 days. It has simple interface and easy to build most things (not sure about humans, I've never seen tutorials on this aspect for Hexagon, and Daz offers dozens of human models every month).

What is this little guy, by the way?

Cerez likes this

It's a little psychic cat-like creature that -- if I can get the JKA skeleton to work with it -- will float in the air and swing the lightsaber with its little psychic powers.  :P

It's just something that I thought would be relatively easy to make to learn the basics of the whole process of modeling and getting a model in-game...

It's a little psychic cat-like creature that -- if I can get the JKA skeleton to work with it -- will float in the air and swing the lightsaber with its little psychic powers.  :P

It's just something that I thought would be relatively easy to make to learn the basics of the whole process of modeling and getting a model in-game...

getting the model in-game - that's what's really beyond me. I never truly understood the process.

@@NumberWan, I can tell you it's not easy... You really have to know what you're doing, and have a whole software setup to do it. I heard it's much easier to rig and prepare models for other games than for JKA. But I'm about to embark on learning it... so wish me luck...  :facepalm:

NumberWan likes this

Gosh, when I tried to do something in 3d's... Even basic cube seemed more aesthetic. (LESS AUTISTIC) I am very impressed about your first work and perhaps that gave me few complexes due to lack of talent ;__; Good luck, this is really great. I assure you.

P.S: Mewtwo the best. Deal with it :)

Gosh, when I tried to do something in 3d's... Even basic cube seemed more aesthetic. (LESS AUTISTIC) I am very impressed about your first work and perhaps that gave me few complexes due to lack of talent ;__; Good luck, this is really great. I assure you.

P.S: Mewtwo the best. Deal with it :)

Thanks for the compliment, @@Avidhal. A word of advice: basic modeling is not as daunting as it first seems. If you watch a few beginner's video tutorials of other people making stuff with the software you are using, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. (The good old "monkey see, monkey do" learning method.) Then it's just a matter of getting used to the process and letting your imagination take over. You have talent, I am sure of it. You just need to trust yourself. And the fact that you have taken the time to leave me this compliment shows that you actually love modeling. So go for it. Don't hold back.  :winkthumb:

P.S. Mew is more balanced, mystical, and cuter. :P Mewtwo is artificial and unstable, haha! :D

This was my very first model. A chicken with a baseball bat. Courtesy of my 3d moddeling minor back in 2010.

A chicken doing ballet with a baseball bat!  :lol: That's actually quite creative. It's very-very low poly and kind of abstract. I like it. It would make an interesting real-life, modern statuette.

Finished! All that's left is to add the textures, now...

2v96528.png

2qjc9zd.png

To get it in game, I was thinking I could just rig the head to the JKA skeleton's head, and the body to its neck, and leave the rest empty? That way it will appear to float in the air, and I can keep the size true. It's psychic, and it hovers/flies, so it doesn't really need the movement animations. Any thoughts?

Edit: Textures added.
z3filus likes this

you got nasty Ngons (a polygon with more than 4 vertices) all over the place - these a very bad for animation as they deform terribly

you could also save quite a few vertices by cleaning up your mesh structure and topology - I could probably do a paintover for you

you got nasty Ngons (a polygon with more than 4 vertices) all over the place - these a very bad for animation as they deform terribly

you could also save quite a few vertices by cleaning up your mesh structure and topology - I could probably do a paintover for you

I'm not sure what a "paintover" is, but I wasn't planning on having the arms and legs move, that's why I intentionally ignored the joints and deformation factor this time. The only thing that will move, if it moves, is the head in relation to the body -- and maybe the tail if I see an opportunity. This model is designed to be small, just a little larger than a JKA character's head in size. The vertex count is only 750, so that should be fine. But thanks for the pro tip.

Edit: Actually, I can only see one n-gon, and that's quite obviously on the back. It's the result of my inexperience with basic modeling tools, but I left it untouched instead of reworking it because it's not in a critical spot, and it gives the character an interesting trait, forming the back/spine... Are there any other n-gons I should know about? I know there are quite a few triangles, but I've allowed for them to happen due to my original intention with the model.

Point taken. :winkthumb: I've forgotten all about that! I've shaped the head and feet up a bit to match my quarter view reference closer.

Question: Is there any modeling software out there that supports a viewport/reference image behind a quarter-view model display? Silo only supports it with the front, back, side, and top/bottom views... There is a "free view", but you can't put an image behind that...  :huh:

Langerd likes this

Question: Is there any modeling software out there that supports a viewport/reference image behind a quarter-view model display? Silo only supports it with the front, back, side, and top/bottom views... There is a "free view", but you can't put an image behind that...  :huh:

Would image planes solve the problem? Putting images on 3D planes. Not sure if I understood though.

Also, keep it up! Some topological issues on the model, but not a problem if it's your first!

Would image planes solve the problem? Putting images on 3D planes. Not sure if I understood though.

Also, keep it up! Some topological issues on the model, but not a problem if it's your first!

I guess I could create a flat 3D plane/wall and texture it, and delete it when I'm done with the model. That would be a workaround, yes, but rather tedious to do every time... That's okay, I'm fine without a direct reference; I'm just curious whether there are any 3D modeling software out there that do support a reference image behind a quarter view of the model.

By topological issues, I take it you mean how the joints are structured, the use of triangles, and my glorious octagon? :P

Thanks for your support, @@Boothand. ^_^

By topological issues, I take it you mean how the joints are structured, the use of triangles, and my glorious octagon? :P

Your glorious octagon came to mind :P And a couple of the joints yes.

By a quarter view, do you mean when there are four viewports? And having reference images behind each viewport?

I'm sure most 3D packages could do that, if that's what you meant.

In Blender, you can "add images as planes" and it will resize the plane to the aspect of the image. You can also choose background images for each orthographical view if you don't want to use planes.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean when you look at the model from a quarter between left and front, for example? Hmm. Well, you could set it to follow the camera, so you would have the reference in place at all times, but it sounds much better to use image planes then I suspect.

Cerez likes this

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean when you look at the model from a quarter between left and front, for example? Hmm. Well, you could set it to follow the camera, so you would have the reference in place at all times, but it sounds much better to use image planes then I suspect.

Yep, that's what I mean. :) I suppose these image planes are what I'm really looking for. Silo doesn't seem to have anything like that, but Blender does, then, so that's good. I plan to move up to Blender anyway, eventually, once I get in the hang of things with Silo.  :winkthumb: Until then I'll just have to fudge the quarter angles, I guess. Thanks.

No, feel free @@AshuraDX. This is just practice for me. I've only gotten started, but I am actually really enjoying modeling. ^_^ I never thought I would. (It always seemed like a daunting task from a completely alien world.) I'm sure you can do a hundred times better. I'll be interested to see your take on it. Here is the reference sheet I've used:  http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/319/d/7/reference_sheet_mew_by_deviantmel-d32x5fe.png

But I want to try and get this little guy in game. It will be a good introduction to how the whole rigging thing works. Provided that it's possible to get a model in game that is rigged only to the head of the skeleton... I don't really need an oversized, giant Mew thomping around... :P

Edit: Mew the Overlord, haha!  :lol:

Asgarath83 likes this