FPS Issue

+FRivan

Restarting my PC whenever the FPS gets bad returns it completely to the normal 120-125, but I still am getting these spikes now and then. It is strange. 

Almost sounds like a memory leak, but with your OS or something odd like that.

JKG Developer

I thought that. Then again, Windows 8.1 is horrible in so many ways. Usually my response is why am I running 8? Because it is 8.1, a odd number. I just had to try it out. I had none of these problems with 7, so could it be? 

*Light just went off*

• 6 months later...

I get terrible framerate when recording OpenJK JKA at 1080p using any recording software. Any idea why is that? It's fine on non-OpenJK JKA (both SP and MP). I also see way worse performance in general when using OpenJK.

I get terrible framerate when recording OpenJK JKA at 1080p using any recording software. Any idea why is that? It's fine on non-OpenJK JKA (both SP and MP). I also see way worse performance in general when using OpenJK.

Sounds bad :/ Do you have a specific example where you were recording at 1080p? e.g. which recording software, what were your graphics settings, what operating system were you running. And when you say 'worse performance in general', are you referring to just FPS or something else?

You could try setting com_affinity to -1. That should allow the OS to run the JKA on any CPU core rather than restricting it to a pre-selected core.

I'm really confused. Interestingly, the first time I tried to record JKA using OpenJK, the FPS was fine. Then I believe I forced AA via AMD control panel. FPS gone bad. I un-forced AA (completely deleted openjk_sp.x86.exe entry from AMD CP) and things still were bad. Restarted PC - same shit. It cannot be related to AA thing because the issue happens with both SP and MP, and openjk.x86.exe was not touched as far as AMD CP is concerned.

Today at first the FPS was fine again, but then I restarted the game and it became shitty. What the fuck...

This is with any settings, in the main menu or during missions/MP. Tried Fraps, MSI Afterburner, Game Booster, D3DGear.

Right now when I reset the config and the game goes into 800x600 windowed mode, the recording FPS is fine. But once I do

r_mode -1
r_customwidth 1920
r_customheight 1080

and restart the game it goes shitty all over again. In fact, r_mode -1 alone is enough. com_affinity -1 doesn't help.

EDIT: I launched MP, FPS was bad. I launched SP - suddenly the FPS is fine again.

Right now when I reset the config and the game goes into 800x600 windowed mode, the recording FPS is fine. But once I do

r_mode -1
r_customwidth 1920
r_customheight 1080

and restart the game it goes shitty all over again. In fact, r_mode -1 alone is enough. com_affinity -1 doesn't help.

EDIT: I launched MP, FPS was bad. I launched SP - suddenly the FPS is fine again.

I don't record stuff but, I do the same process every time I start up JKA. With the newest, JA++ and OpenJK, I'm having serious and unplayable  FPS issues after I do those commands along with vid_restart.

Are there others with this issue? Also, where else should I post this problem other than here?

Smoo likes this

@ post #39 & #42 (because I can't seem to quote anything here...)

Similar issue, and attempts to fix the issue, here (although I didn't try SP). Except I have an Nvidia card. This has been the behavior with the most recent builds of openjk (either compiled myself, or from the builds.openjk.org page), or ever since the sdl2.dll is required in the gamedata folder. Any older builds work fine, latest ones though only give like 1-2 fps every OTHER second, and even a basic map like ffa3 takes minutes to load (normally I can load a huge map like Atlantica in under 20 seconds, and even on a map like that the fps would rarely go under the 125 cap...).

Removing the Openjk folder from "Documents" and having everything reset didn't really work either, at least once I put in the custom resolution again (although at 800x600 the game was pretty much frozen saying "connection interrupted"...). This is on a win 8.1 64 bit machine as well, and never had any issues with openjk b4. Not really sure what's wrong now.