Jedi Academy Server Questions

JKA Server Questions  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about the "No Laming" rule?

2. 2. Atmosphere of a JKA Server

• Family-Friendly
    • Whatever happens, happens.
    • Vulgarity and dirty jokes are fine, but chill if someone gets offended.
  3. 3. Saber Damages

4. 4. Spawning NPC's

• Ruins the fun on the server
    • Rancors?! Swoops?! COUNT ME IN!
    • Every once in awhile in cool, just don't get carried away.
  5. 5. Maps

• Standard base rotation, 90 mins (All base maps)
    • FFA3 Only (Tatooine)
    • Standard base rotation, 30 mins (All base maps)
    • Other, specify

Hey guys, 

I put together the poll above to get an idea on server preferences.

What people are looking for, what keeps them coming back, etc.

Just getting a feel for the new Mindtrick server that'll be coming online soon :)!

Thanks for your opinions and votes on this questionnaire.

They're hugely appreciated!

Circa likes this

No laming rules depend on how their implemented.  I prefer ones that let the server control when you can lame and when you can't (eg: when bubble is up cannot be damaged).  There are some great custom maps, it'd be a shame only to play on base maps.

Dopie likes this

JKG Developer

I think you need to consider the server settings based on what your clan is about. Considering your aim is to be competitive and have regular scrims, you should be using SP damages for starters, map rotation is entirely on you but generally we like to play matches on base maps; custom ones like jedi home just aren't practical with all the manual doors xD! However playing on Quake Campgrounds for ESL was pretty fun/nostalgic. Laming shouldn't really be an issue, and really no one should "lame" during matches as a matter of respect, otherwise they're just desperate not to lose :P most people see laming as an excuse to argue or complain so I wouldn't prioritize it as a rule.

However if your server when not playing matches is just going to be to chill out then scrap everything I just said, except using SP damages :P

Dopie likes this

When you say SP/MP dmgs, is this referring to the JA+ system, as I don't know what "pure base" uses.

Also, having a few custom maps in the server roation would be nice, or atleast available to vote on on the server

I think you need to consider the server settings based on what your clan is about. Considering your aim is to be competitive and have regular scrims, you should be using SP damages for starters, map rotation is entirely on you but generally we like to play matches on base maps; custom ones like jedi home just aren't practical with all the manual doors xD! However playing on Quake Campgrounds for ESL was pretty fun/nostalgic. Laming shouldn't really be an issue, and really no one should "lame" during matches as a matter of respect, otherwise they're just desperate not to lose :P most people see laming as an excuse to argue or complain so I wouldn't prioritize it as a rule.

However if your server when not playing matches is just going to be to chill out then scrap everything I just said, except using SP damages :P

We are definitely gauging most server settings based on how Mindtrick is. The questions above is more of a gauge towards the general public, because our server won't JUST be used for matches. Setting up amvstr's to change to TFFA on the fly, etc.

Why not set it to Hardcore Damages where every single swing instantly kills you, it's the best approximation of what you will find playing good players.

Would make for a fun event, like a Friday Night One-Shot Night or somethin? XD. I'm definitely down to try that, just not a default setting.

When you say SP/MP dmgs, is this referring to the JA+ system, as I don't know what "pure base" uses.

Also, having a few custom maps in the server roation would be nice, or atleast available to vote on on the server

SP/MP dmg's was referring directly to JA+ damages. I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work. We'll be using JA++ on our server, but I think the damages are still relative to JA+.

*looks @ Raz0r* XD

Where is the "I don't care about MP at all anymore" option?

Alternatively, where's "no saber, no force"?

The server will be no force, with sabers. Pretty standard stuff, but with amvstr's setup to enable force/guns etc.

Also guys, feel free to check us out @ http://mindtrick.jkhub.org

Do you know of a better alternative that can yield the same amount of traffic as JA+/JA++?

Actually, a well advertised base PUG server might. It would have to be located somewhere in Europe though, but who knows, I'm not really familiar with the US scene.

JA++ w/ base dmgs and sabering :L

Well.. Dopie's ignorance just shined through.

I was under the impression that JA++ was just an add-on to JA+ in some sort've.. weird way.

I was unaware that JA++ was a whole different ball of wax. Are there any notable servers that use JA++ server-side? (JAWA, EK, KR)

And, what DON'T you get from JA++ that you get with JA+? (Example: admin cmds, grapple/jetpack etc).

Do alot of folks here prefer JA++ w/ base dmgs? I'll edit the poll if need be.

Well.. Dopie's ignorance just shined through.

I was under the impression that JA++ was just an add-on to JA+ in some sort've.. weird way.

I was unaware that JA++ was a whole different ball of wax. Are there any notable servers that use JA++ server-side? (JAWA, EK, KR)

And, what DON'T you get from JA++ that you get with JA+? (Example: admin cmds, grapple/jetpack etc).

Do alot of folks here prefer JA++ w/ base dmgs? I'll edit the poll if need be.

@@Raz0r could probably explain it best here about the main differences between the two, and maybe which servers use it

I've modified the poll for Saber Damages to include 2 other choices.

Feel free to recast your vote :P (Sorry for the confusion).

Just for the sake of consistency, I will try not to make another modification to the poll.

Both JA+ and JA++ offer SP and MP systems.

Base only offers SP.

JA+ tweaked the damages, collisions and block/parry behaviour forcefully. JA++ also tweaks some of those things in a less retarded way which you can activate with japp_saberSystem 1 - this is not an alternative to SP/MP, it works in tandem with that setting (d_saberSPStyleDamage 0-1)

As for what JA++ is lacking, the only major thing I can think of is full-force duels and alternate dimension. I'm hesitant on adding alternate dimension because I think that's a bad way to handle the whole laming (so-called) problem.

Anything else that's missing, I would be happy to receive reports on so I can add it with haste. That's the real benefit of using JA++; if you want something, you get it.

Omicron and Dopie like this

Both JA+ and JA++ offer SP and MP systems.

Base only offers SP.

JA+ tweaked the damages, collisions and block/parry behaviour forcefully. JA++ also tweaks some of those things in a less retarded way which you can activate with japp_saberSystem 1 - this is not an alternative to SP/MP, it works in tandem with that setting (d_saberSPStyleDamage 0-1)

As for what JA++ is lacking, the only major thing I can think of is full-force duels and alternate dimension. I'm hesitant on adding alternate dimension because I think that's a bad way to handle the whole laming (so-called) problem.

Anything else that's missing, I would be happy to receive reports on so I can add it with haste. That's the real benefit of using JA++; if you want something, you get it.

My hats off to you, Raz0r.

I appreciated JA++ from a client-side perspective, been using it now for about 1-1.5 years, but server side, I'm very excited to work with.

Thanks for throwing the info here :)!

• 1 month later...

I prefer using the custom maps that nearly everyone has like Academy V3. The base maps are too small and I've spent far too much time on them at this point. Custom maps are usually funner, bigger, better looking and have better atmosphere than the base maps.

Ensuring newbies can join my server by playing on base maps when they will likely only play my server once isn't important. I find that servers running custom maps and mods tend to retain more regular members, not just random FFAers who join whichever server happens to be populated. That doesn't promote community interaction.