Novice question - .md3 and .glm

Alright, so as far as I can determine... .glm are static models in the conventional sense (using skeletons), and .md3 are models that are connected with tags.

It seems that everything spawnable utilizes glm models, from npc characters to vehicles and what not. Even my most favorite throwable stuff pack utilizes GLM and classic skeletons.

Is that the only way to create spawnable entities? The bomb from the boba fett level, the ysalimari from multiplayer, all of these... would they need to be compiled to a model, weighed to a skeleton and then spawned?

If it's a static model, it doesn't need to be weighted to a skeleton, as far as I know. 

Static... Hmmm. Well, the bomb and the beacons both have moving aspects in their SP use, I don't know if that would interfere with their use. The Ysalimari is static in model but spins on the pedastals and stuff. But how would one even get the game to spawn an md3 model?

You've got the NPC spawning file, the default skin file for the image pathways, is there any way to get it to point to the MD3 and use it?

MD3 is mostly used for static meshes, though they can have per-vertex animations but those get pretty huge.

GLM is for models with skeletal animations - mostly players/npcs/3rd person weapon models. These have external animations in GLA files which can be shared between GLMs, which means you only need one set of animations for all humanoid characters.

Both MD3 and GLM support Tags.

For models in your map you can use MD3, but the compiler can also handle .ase, .obj, .3ds, .lwo and more, but out of those only .md3 files can be animated.

For players you have to use .glm and creating those is pretty darn complicated. For weapons you need a .glm for 3rd person and .md3 files for the first person model. First person weapons get around the problem of animations getting huge by being split into one file consisting only of the tags and others that are attached to it in code, but this method can't be used in maps.

Asgarath83 and ZanderNao like this

MD3 is mostly used for static meshes, though they can have per-vertex animations but those get pretty huge.

GLM is for models with skeletal animations - mostly players/npcs/3rd person weapon models. These have external animations in GLA files which can be shared between GLMs, which means you only need one set of animations for all humanoid characters.

Both MD3 and GLM support Tags.

For models in your map you can use MD3, but the compiler can also handle .ase, .obj, .3ds, .lwo and more, but out of those only .md3 files can be animated.

For players you have to use .glm and creating those is pretty darn complicated. For weapons you need a .glm for 3rd person and .md3 files for the first person model. First person weapons get around the problem of animations getting huge by being split into one file consisting only of the tags and others that are attached to it in code, but this method can't be used in maps.

Wow! Well, this certainly lays it out for me very efficiently.

Going back to the throwable stuff pack, I guess I'm thinking of static, non animated elements from the base game assets being spawnable as NPC objects in multiplayer (accomplished by binding them as static humanoid players that didn't do anything in the pack), but I have no idea how to take what exists as an MD3 in the base assets and convert it into a glm for spawning sake.

Some things in JA are actually md3, but act like NPCs. Turrets for instance. Also remotes use only md3 body, as fas as I remember.

In single player they seem to be quite interchangeable, but in multiplayer it seems to be a bit tougher. But, as said above the first person weapons are md3. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to spawn independent MD3 items onto a map without changing the map itself.